Sponsored

Rust on hood

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I just noticed my car has rust on the hood near the headlight, is this something that the dealer should repaint my entire car or just the hood? The car has 14k miles and its a 2015.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The hood is aluminum so it does not really rust like steel.
What does it look like?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Probably just a stain. Aluminum will indeed oxidize, but it will not look like red iron oxide rust that you would see with steel. It just sort of gets duller looking.

OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
The cars in the shop for 2 flat tires and a stripped lug nut... Ill take pictures later today. It looks like rough bubble under the paint. Its near the headlight and on the side of the hood

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Probably just a paint bubble. I'd have them address it at the dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Not the best pictures

Pictures
image.jpg

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
looks like electrolysis or something causing the paint to bubble. Should be a pretty straight forward repair.

Could have been a little speck of steel or iron that got on the aluminum before it got painted or something.

bigdave03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Mustang Gt
i have the exact same thing in 5 places on the leading edge of my 14 explorer hood...its going back to the dealer for warranty work!

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
That is a result of moisture getting to the aluminum under the paint. Best get the Dealer on that quick. It gets worse in a hurry.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Looks like Ford STILL hasn't resolved this issue, which has been going on since at LEAST 2005. I had this cancer on my S197, and was really hoping to not have to worry about it on my S550. I guess my hope was misplaced.

Good luck with getting the dealer to fix it. In S197 applications, it was due to improper application of sealant and cleaning of the hood at the factory, prior to paint. In a lot of instances, even after repainting the hood, the cancer returned.

JR

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
It has an aluminum upper panel on the hood once the underlying iron or moisture is removed it should not return as aluminum doesnt rust.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
All you have to do is google "Ford paint problems" and you'll get a shitload of hits - those from 2005 all the way up to current day.

https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/making-it-right/

Research this guy:

Chemical engineer Stephen Gaiski used to advise Ford on its paint technology. He said he discovered vehicles were leaving the plant with insufficient paint. When he alerted the company, He says Ford cancelled his contract and sent him a cease and desist letter in 2010, asking him to stop contacting the company.

Gaiski's Zestar Corporation has since helped dozens of US consumers recoup the costs of repainting their Ford vehicles through small claims courts.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...s-has-manitoba-customers-seeing-red-1.3230954

Stephen's contact info:
Stephen N. Gaiski
Zestar Corporation
43422 West Oaks Drive, PMB 328, Novi, Michigan, 48377 USA
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 888-755-2658
or check out the link at: http://www.mmdnewswire.com/vehicle-p...lity-6280.html

This company has done the R&D on the issue, has the docs to support your claim with Ford or to reclaim through small claims court.

Here's the issue - if the body shop, either Ford shop or one Authorized by Ford to do the repairs does a half assed re-prep job the same problem will reoccur later down the road. Ford is not prepping the vehicles properly and their Quality Control SUCKS, period. Ford has known about the paint issues with their aluminum body panels since 2005 - you would think nearly 11 years later they would have improved the process.... NOT?

The primer and paint is way too thin on the S550's AND there's tons of paint complaints on this forum alone - those ranging from instant chips from normal driving to the severe such as the body panel bubbling. I've seen instances online where if the bubbling is let go, it rapidly deteriorates. You need to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

More reading regarding Ford's shitty paint, as of 2015:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/07/ford-blistering-bubbing-peeling/70912214/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dozens-ford-vehicle-owners-fed-103000138.html

Ford TSB for paint issues:
http://ford.oemdtc.com/1349/aluminu...-peeling-paint-2000-2016-ford-lincoln-mercury

Make your paint issue known here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordpeelingpaint/

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Looks like a corrosion under the paint.
Aluminum hood is notoriously difficult to prepare for painting and if its not completely cleaned the paint won't stick. When that happens, aluminum corrodes.

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
I noticed the same issue on my 2015 yesterday. Right near the passenger side headlight. I called the dealership this morning and they denied it without even seeing the vehicle. I spoke with Ford and they said it's unacceptable for them to do so and that I should bring it in.

It seems like this is a known issue and multiple other people have it as well. I'm highly disappointed as I baby my car and always keep it garaged, clean, waxed, and in the best shape possible.

torqueaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS HBM M6
I just noticed my car has rust on the hood near the headlight, is this something that the dealer should repaint my entire car or just the hood? The car has 14k miles and its a 2015.
My sister owns a 2010 Mustang V6 and has this exact problem in the same location. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's a known issue. I believe you may be able to get this covered under warranty if you're willing to go the distance.
Sponsored