Sponsored

Weird rust-like spot on hood (different from photos of typical aluminum hood corrosion)

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Any advice what this spot is? I tried to wipe it with a microfiber + instant detailer and nothing came off. Unlike rust, it didnt transfer red oxide/stain onto the microfiber.
It's small and ABOVE the paint. My theory is this is some iron particle that was embedded in the hood and rusted???
20190302_175232.jpg
20190302_175224.jpg
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Get some iron x. If it's a rust causing metal particle, this stuff will turn purple and after a few applications, should get it removed. A bit of clay bar can help as well. Just remember to wax the spot after all that because any protective coating will be stripped off.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Remov...ronx&qid=1551707438&s=automotive&sr=1-3-spell

It looks like the exact area where the hood sits on weatherstripping. Check the corresponding spot on the fender to see if there's some metal flakes.

You'll see rail dust on light colored cars and the iron x stuff is really good at getting it off. The flakes stick to clear coat real well and can be very difficult to remove without the proper stuff. Simply trying to wipe them off isn't gonna do the trick.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Get some iron x. If it's a rust causing metal particle, this stuff will turn purple and after a few applications, should get it removed. A bit of clay bar can help as well. Just remember to wax the spot after all that because any protective coating will be stripped off.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Remov...ronx&qid=1551707438&s=automotive&sr=1-3-spell

It looks like the exact area where the hood sits on weatherstripping. Check the corresponding spot on the fender to see if there's some metal flakes.

You'll see rail dust on light colored cars and the iron x stuff is really good at getting it off. The flakes stick to clear coat real well and can be very difficult to remove without the proper stuff. Simply trying to wipe them off isn't gonna do the trick.
Ok, I got this product - worked magic. Applied it with a plastic touch up brush, let is sit for 2 hours and scraped it off with the plastic end. Wiped it with a damp micro-fiber and it came right off. There is nothing left and the paint is untouched.

There was nothing on the weatherstripping. I suspect this was an errant iron flake from the car shop when they were installing the air intake. Phew!! Relieved its not my hood corroding!!!
20190304_130606.jpg
20190304_175045.jpg
20190304_175905.jpg
20190304_130549.jpg
Sponsored