"Run power active" wrench icon on dash

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
Isn't run power active the notification you get when the car is on but the engine isn't running? If I'm in my car and I press "start" with my foot off the clutch the a/c and radio come on... i believe a run power active notification pops up.
Yup. It will first say "Depress Clutch to Start" or something of that nature. Once you press OK, it will notify you that you are in "Run Power Active" mode. As reference, though, no wrench icon comes w/ that message as far as I remember.

For the people having issues: maybe there is a loose wire/relay causing the ecu to think that the car has turned off?

One thing to try: put the car in the battery level/voltage mode on the display gauge to make sure the battery levels are correct & the alternator is charging correctly at all times.

Just poking in the dark here.
Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
this is the car going into "limp" mode.

I had this issue on my 2011 and it was due to a bad battery cell during a tune upload, damn near fried the ECU. Lesson learned, hook it up.

On a new S550 though it could be one of two things. If its tuned then it could be a PCM communication issue (like my 11) or your throttle body is having trouble articulating.

This was also a problem of the 2011-2014s. my assumption is eventhough the engine has been beefed up in this year the throttle body remains the same.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
this is the car going into "limp" mode.

I had this issue on my 2011 and it was due to a bad battery cell during a tune upload, damn near fried the ECU. Lesson learned, hook it up.

On a new S550 though it could be one of two things. If its tuned then it could be a PCM communication issue (like my 11) or your throttle body is having trouble articulating.

This was also a problem of the 2011-2014's. my assumption is eventhough the engine has been beefed up in this year the throttle body remains the same.
Interesting. I never had this happen in my 12 or 14 gt's and they were tuned. My 15 gt does it after going wot a few times in a row. It seems to be associated with spirited driving, at least in my case.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Interesting. I never had this happen in my 12 or 14 gt's and they were tuned. My 15 gt does it after going wot a few times in a row. It seems to be associated with spirited driving, at least in my case.
Most likely is something going on with your throttle body.

When you punch it the car goes into what they call "open loop." Essentially this is the same thing the car is in when it starts. The PCM monitors sensors and such but really is all about delivering power.

When you come back down your in a closed loop and the car's throttle body is trying to articulate to your specific driving at that point and its having trouble moving the blade inside. Should be covered under warranty even if its a tune, but you might have to fight it a little as it would be a mechanical failure.

Bradrulz

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Comp Orange
I just had it happen on my automatic today after some spirited driving.

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
This is going to get someone killed.

In the 11-14s there were reports of people that had this happen making a left turn on a green light (yielding to traffic) and blam, the car stalled.

Imagine the butt pucker level on that one.

if you're up for it, you can try getting Ford to clean your throttle body or do it yourself. I havent cracked mine open but seeing as how its pretty much the same engine up top as the 11-14s there should be 4 bolts and a wire an it pulls right off.

Hit it with some cleaner and inspect the fins to see if you have any gunk on it.

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I had this happen 3 times now. Always while on the free way or getting onto the freeway and always after spirited driving. It's definitely got to be a TB issue as it happens when I'm high rpm and on and off the throttle a lot. I think the TB just can articulate quick enough for my inputs and it saves itself by going into limp mode. Makes me wonder if it's the fly by wire that can keep up or the actual TB blade. I wonder if an after market TB would solve this.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Getting it more frequently now....
I am also having the battery drain on me, so might be time for a new battery....
I also started seeing this start to happen after I install a JLT catch can, not sure if that matters.

So far after researching I've seen the following ideas thrown around

1) battery
2) purge valve
3) fuel pump
4) throttle body
Sponsored