OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I think you are fine then.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, how long ago was it when you installed the VMP IAT Kit? Did you also have to swap out the sensor with the wiring kit?
I swapped last week, and yes I swapped out the sensor that goes in the passenger side of the manifold.
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Excellent.

You're good. If you ever want to drop those temps down, look into the VMP Upgraded H/E with Fans.

If we ever meet up, we can compare temps if you want, so you can get an idea of how yours would do with the HE&Fans.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Wow great to see a real discussion on IATs. First thing is we really need to make sure everybody is talking temperature AFTER the blower and intercooler and second we really need to know the ambient temperature you know what is the air temperature when you report the IATs. The IATs could be best understood as the temp over ambient. The IATS on a 70 degree day are going to run significantly cooler than one running at 90 degree day.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
We were trying to hit a dyno in the area to do some comparison runs since we have the same kits... dood's is upgraded to the phase 2 though....

terryrwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Roush S/C Manual
I ran into issues doing SCCA runs in July and my IAT got up to 181 and shut my car down!
I began to watch it after that and see 150ish temps sitting at idle, I also noticed that after a short drive home the intake pipe on the drivers side is so hot you can't bear to touch it with bare hands if you are trying to take it off.
I'm thinking of wrapping it with header wrap to reduce heat soak from it running right over the top of the exhaust manifold!

Sponsored

Blake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RR GT PP Supercharged
I am running about 3-5C over ambient.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I am running about 3-5C over ambient.
Are you running the IAT relocator? Because I believe the temps I see is the air actually entering the motor.

Blake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RR GT PP Supercharged
Are you running the IAT relocator? Because I believe the temps I see is the air actually entering the motor.
No relocator here.

Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
No relocator here.

So that is not really your intake air temperature in the manifold. It is the temperature of the air in MAF sensor just after the air cleaner before any heating by the blower has taken place. Mostly irreverent number if you're not sucking in under hood air and getting the air from the outside next to the radiator.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Would lower IAT temps increase horsepower? Would it be worth installing fans on the intercooler radiator? Do they sell fan kits for this?

Thanks
Temp = Power so yes, having colder temps will make a big difference. The issue is, that Roush LTR (low temp radiator) is incredibly small and does very little. At 9psi, the discharged air pre-IC is close to 100 deg over ambient air going in. You need far more surface area to keep control of temps. Therefore, a much larger LTR with fans would be a significant upgrade in more consistent power, but it won't show a massive difference on the chassis dyno. I would estimate 10-15rwhp if it was even remotely the correct size. Putting fans on that tiny LTR is a waste of time. Look for a bigger LTR with fans and you will get more what you need.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Temp = Power so yes, having colder temps will make a big difference. The issue is, that Roush LTR (low temp radiator) is incredibly small and does very little. At 9psi, the discharged air pre-IC is close to 100 deg over ambient air going in. You need far more surface area to keep control of temps. Therefore, a much larger LTR with fans would be a significant upgrade in more consistent power, but it won't show a massive difference on the chassis dyno. I would estimate 10-15rwhp if it was even remotely the correct size. Putting fans on that tiny LTR is a waste of time. Look for a bigger LTR with fans and you will get more what you need.
What kind of IAT2 readings are you seeing on your kits, on 85~degree days? Idle, cruise, WOT and recovery?

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
What kind of IAT2 readings are you seeing on your kits, on 85~degree days? Idle, cruise, WOT and recovery?
So many variables, as we are running 10-12psi on most applications, and I haven't had a 85 deg in some time here. But if your around 85deg F ambient, idle is usually around 110-120, highway is usually pretty spot on 100-105 (70-80mph), never see temps exceed 110 @ WOT in the ambient is that low. Lately been testing with ambient in the 100's. In many cases, if you let it heat soak at idle, the temp goes down at WOT.

During steady state testing, our temps were over 60deg F cooler and going lower while the other was climbing. We also had 2.5-3.0 more psi of boost.

In fact, many are switching to our intake manifold/intercooler setup on the CJ's with the rear inlet because the temp/power increase is so drastic. On the CJ's, there seeing 40deg cooler temps going through the traps.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Sweet, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored