Rousch Phase 2 or Edelbrock Stage 2?

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The VMP 730 HP kit is 730 crank, but they can easily get you to 730 wheel HP. Just pay to play.
I am quite happy with the 730 as having a hard time keeping any traction, which is a nice problem to have , but i am looking for tire upgrades.

Nitto NT05R or MT SS RADIALS
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
If warranty is a concern...Save your money and leave the car stock. Putting a Roush package on it that maintains the ROUSH warranty option 36/36 from the date of the cars original purchase will produce a nice number on a dyno, but the car will struggle to get out of its own way with respect to the stock setup at a track even on a DR. IT wasn't until I retuned through VMP that my Roush package could produce at the track. I ran that package on a 13 GT manual, swapped it to a 14 GT auto, and then stupidly sold that 10.80 car and bought a 17 GT that had a Roush TVS package with VMP upgrades made to it. I miss the 14. So from first hand experience take my advice. Either man up and get a package that will run and screw the warranty, or remain a worry wart keep the car stock and retain your warranty.

I know of one documented thread where a TVS package (not some 1000+ RWHP build on a stock block) package placed on a car caused a catastrophic engine failure. The thread is on this site. The maker of the package covered the damages for the customer including the engine replacement. And it was not Roush. It was one of the reputable SC companies out there. I have had four FI setups....some more radical than others. I have never had a failure. I did have a fuel rail crossover line on the ROUSH kit split open on me. They covered the part. And I had a bypass valve actuator stick on a Saleen 2300 twin screw on a 3V 4.6L setup that I replaced three years after the purchase. Short of that no failures. Either invest wisely and run with the big dogs or stay home on the porch and stay warm in your warranty blanket. That is my advice. And its not an opinion. It's from first hand experience. Like I said. Don't get caught up in a label. More than Roush offer a warranty blanket if you are still dead set on going that route. Edelbrock is one of them. I stupidly wasted $375 for a warranty option on the Roush package on my first Coyote setup. It was a waste. It was not as aggressive as my 2005 3V 4.6L FI setup. Within a year I retuned with VMP and the car was a whole new animal.

Do what you will. But again if you are overly concerned about engine failure, leave the car stock or you'll just worry wart yourself to death. FI isn't for the weary. And its definitely not for the person who live life in a warranty bubble.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
18+ Roush Phase 2 kit is excellent if you have to keep the warranty. Their warranty work and how they work with Ford is excellent. Key is to find a Ford roush dealer. Cooling has been much better since they've added the bigger ltr and 93 calibration. They have issues but they have gotten a lot better at addressing them.​

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You can shine a goose egg on a number thumper, but adding boost to a 12:1 compression motor is one bad fill up away from hard yarfing.
Detuned 600-650 rwhp (700-750 crank) kits are yer friend.

A "warranty" piece of paper is just that, a starting point for heartache when counter party or installer drags feet.
Just ask every single FI warranty claimant... About as smooth and fun as bad gas during sex.

You want the best canned tuned which by far is the Whipple at OEM levels of performance.
Go with warranty option on a Whipple Stage 1 with a 4.0 pulley. If you dont wreck it in 12 months, add the ~3.8 or whatever the standard stage 1 pulley is.

There is no finger pointing on Whipple installs with just 4.0 pulley involved cause they are:
Rock
Freakn
Solid
|
/
/
*__* (mic drop)

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@sigintel, there’s been at least 3 cases lately on the site of people getting a stage 2 setup then pulleying down to stage 1 boost. I think you’re dead-on about the 12/1 compression and lack of room for error. With a stage 2 setup from edelbrock or Whipple you get the top end power advantage of the big throttle body, but pulleying down reduces peak cylinder pressure and the chance of detonation under sub-optimal conditions.

Last edited:

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here’s 1 of at least 5 Whipple Stage 1 killing engines, these guys got compensated, some just took longer but the bottom line is the engine took a crap.

Again the 18-20 Roush P2 runs excellent. They’ve run 10.70-11.2@126-130 mph on the P2 tune at full weight on a DR.

If u dont care about warranty, do a Lund tuned whipple, opg/cs. If your looking for a excellent running, warrantied kit, 18-20 Roush P2 is great.

I’d call Beefcake, he will help you with your decision

Chipks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 10 spd, Roush P2 FI, Track Pack Suspension
Another Roush P2 owner here chiming in - Do your research. Had mine installed in February this year and have been very satisfied. There's a Brenspeed video where the Roush P2 actually beat a Whipple in torque and wasn't very far behind in peak HP. My most important consideration was driveability and leaving the factory Ford warranty intact as well as the Roush 3/36000 powertrain warranty. A tuned Whipple may or may not be able to outrun it, but I wouldn't be very far behind. I'm happy with my choice.

jmorris47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or a know it all but I have the Roush P2 on my 2019 PPL2 and could not be happier. My car is much faster/ quicker than my driving skills. Also, I think at this power level you are getting close to a DD limits, even the additional upgrades I've added.. I've dealt with Roush for help on something related to a Ford issue. OUTSTANDING support. I easily knock down 25mpg on the hwy. I'll bet you'll be happy with any company you choose. However, going with Roush P2 on a 2018+ Mustang will make for a fun ride.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
@sigintel, there’s been at least 3 cases lately on the site of people getting a stage 2 setup then pulleying down to stage 1 boost. I think you’re dead-on about the 12/1 compression and lack of room for error. With a stage 2 setup from edelbrock or Whipple you get the top end power advantage of the big throttle body, but pulleying down reduces peak cylinder pressure and the chance of detonation under sub-optimal conditions.

I'm going to run a 4" pulley with my Whipple stage 2 Gen 5 system. I don't compete so max hp is not what I'm looking for. I went with the stage 2 because it's cheaper than buying a stage one and adding the stage two components later if needed, which is a $750.00 savings. So in the event I want to go hog wild, all I'd have to do is substitute the 3.875 pulley for the 4.00 one and I'm good to go. I live by the motto of, buy once, cry once.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
FWIW, I ran all the way down to a 3.625 pulley and got good logs with Boostane in the tank. I wouldn’t trust it for day-to-day use though. I’m running a 4.00 on an Stage 2 now as well.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
FWIW, I ran all the way down to a 3.625 pulley and got good logs with Boostane in the tank. I wouldn’t trust it for day-to-day use though. I’m running a 4.00 on an Stage 2 now as well.
I just received an 8 pack of Boostane Premium, which I'm going to run at a ratio of 6oz to 10 gallons. I drive my Mustang only two to three days a week, so the combination of 1lb lower boost and higher octane should give me longevity out of my engine.

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Another Roush P2 owner here chiming in - Do your research. Had mine installed in February this year and have been very satisfied. There's a Brenspeed video where the Roush P2 actually beat a Whipple in torque and wasn't very far behind in peak HP. My most important consideration was driveability and leaving the factory Ford warranty intact as well as the Roush 3/36000 powertrain warranty. A tuned Whipple may or may not be able to outrun it, but I wouldn't be very far behind. I'm happy with my choice.
I support the Roush Phase 2 kit. Quality kit, with a warranty that Roush actually stands behind. But give the guy honest information. “A tuned Whipple May or may not be able to outrun it, but it wouldn’t be very far behind”. A tuned Whipple will walk it, but a tuned Whipple doesn’t have a warranty.

OP pick your poison. Like others have stated if you want your warranty Roush Phase 2. Of warranty isn’t of concern to you Whipple with OPG/CS and custom tune.

OP
OP
SDAMike

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I appreciate the input everyone. I actually read the entire 350+ page Roush thread. This is a tough call overall.

The general input I get and have researched is that, The Edelbrock tune is far from great and so is their support on it.
The Roush tune is very good, not with out flaws, but they are attentive to it also. (But either of these tunes are holding back for obvious warranty reasons).

As is, It appears the P2 Roush kit would be good for high 10's in the 1/4. The Edelbrock, who knows? Really does anyone know?

Once the warranty is over, My goal is to eventually run a high 9, even if its 9.9999999. Or be trapping very high 130s. Is that doable with a roush kit? With out e85? (its just not around me). With custom tune, pulley, better heat exchanger, etc...
Or am I really barking up the wrong tree with the Roush?

If warranty was no issue, I would go with a whipple or a centri set up without a doubt.

A few related questions I have;

Were the Whipple kits popping pistons just because of the canned tune?

Is a Centri kit safer or more ideal for any reason?

On any kit, how necessary are oil pump gears, and why are they needed?

What model and size tire is everyone running to deal with all the extra TQ that any of these kits give?

Sorry for all the questions, but I truly appreciate the input.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey all, Have been thinking pretty hard about putting a supercharger on. One discrepancy is the wife wants to have some warranty still. I do get why. As much as I'd like to get a whipple, this takes whipple out :(

So that leads to just two options that come with a warranty, at least that I am aware of: Rousch and Edelbrock. I would be looking at the Stage 2 versions of both.

Which one in your opinion is better to go with?

Did rousch get a handle on the heat issues with the phase 2?

Owners of either, what is your opinion of them? How are the tunes that come with them?

If it matters, Im looking for something that pushes me back in my seat and is more fun to drive..that also hangs with or beats hellcats / newer vettes, etc.. I also will go to the local 1/4 mile track sometimes but not looking to live there or break records....but 1/4 times do matter to me. Eventually I will get a custom tune and start adding other goodies, but not until the warranty is over.

Lastly, where is the best place / price for either these? (I heard Edelbrock was running 15% off, but thats no more?)

Curious to hear everyone's input, thanks alot!
If you want to retain warranty go with the Roush kit. If you want to make a bit more power and have room to grow in the future go with a nice whipple or edelbrock kit. We sell them all here at @LethalPerformance! Please shoot me a message or give us a call and I can help explain each kit in full detail and recommend what is best for you! https://www.lethalperformance.com/
Sponsored