Rousch Phase 2 or Edelbrock Stage 2?

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wouldn’t wanna push a 18+ Roush into the nines, just not smart dollar wise.

Honestly, I think you should do and Whipple Stage 1. It’s warrantied, I believe the tunes are pretty safe now, all u need to do is data log it and send the logs to Whipple. They would tell you things look good, run good quality 93 octane and when u race it, splash it with a few gallons of unleaded race gas.

Then once your warranty is up, add opg/cs, fuel system and go Stage 2. I honestly think a Stage 1 Whipple will run high 10’s and that should keep u happy for a while until the warranty is up
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...My goal is to eventually run a high 9, even if its 9.9999999. Or be trapping very high 130s....With out e85? ... With custom tune, pulley, better heat exchanger, etc...
Search for @olaosunt. Back in 2018 he was beating on his Whipple stage 2 at the track regularly. With wheels, smaller pulley, and octane booster he was running really low 10’s at 137 or so on the Whipple cal. IIRC he believed it would do a high 9 once they got the cal revised but I think he moved on to e85/custom cal before that happened.

Were the Whipple kits popping pistons just because of the canned tune?...
Without knowing details on them it’s hard to say. It could have been factory defective engines, bad gas, or an installation error. Whipple was early to market and presumably has the largest installed base so it could just be a statical thing. Or it could have been bad cals from Whipple. We will probably never know for certain. I’ve been through a bunch of Whipple cal revisions and logged them all. Each one had the a/f and timing completely within control and where you’d want them to be. I truly wish we knew more about this.

One option is to do the Whipple stage 2 then drop the boost lower. Several of us have done this.

Fillykonk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oswald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3
As the happy owner of a 15 RS3 with the phase 2 package and as others have suggested I would go with the Roush package until the warranty runs out and then upgrade the tune to your liking if need be. I would look for a certified Roush dealer to do the installation.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I wouldn’t wanna push a 18+ Roush into the nines, just not smart dollar wise.

Honestly, I think you should do and Whipple Stage 1. It’s warrantied, I believe the tunes are pretty safe now, all u need to do is data log it and send the logs to Whipple. They would tell you things look good, run good quality 93 octane and when u race it, splash it with a few gallons of unleaded race gas.

Then once your warranty is up, add opg/cs, fuel system and go Stage 2. I honestly think a Stage 1 Whipple will run high 10’s and that should keep u happy for a while until the warranty is up
Keep in mind that the powertrain warranty for Whipple stage 1 is an extra cost option and is through a 3rd party. Lebanon Ford stopped offering the Whipple with their tune and that warranty due to poor customer experience. They now require a custom tune if the customer wants Whipple and there is no warranty.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Keep in mind that the powertrain warranty for Whipple stage 1 is an extra cost option and is through a 3rd party. Lebanon Ford stopped offering the Whipple with their tune and that warranty due to poor customer experience. They now require a custom tune if the customer wants Whipple and there is no warranty.
Thats true but Al Coyote Car Guy got his engine replaced very quickly with the extra cost warranty.

This isn’t the issue, the poster asked about eventually going NINES with a kit, I still stand by my opinion, the ROUSH is not a kit I would purchase if down the road I wanted to run 9 Sec ET’s.

Whipple stage 1 (extra cost warranty)
That's the kit if he see’s himself wanting 9’s down the road. Once the warranty is over, he adds E85 fuel system, 132Tb, pulley down, opg/cs = Nines :clap:

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
That's the kit if he see’s himself wanting 9’s down the road. Once the warranty is over, he adds E85 fuel system, 132Tb, pulley down, opg/cs = Nines :clap:

Don't forget to add a DW400 fuel pump and intake tube.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I really think a Whipple stage 2, 3.625 pulley, wheels and tires, and a custom cal would pretty easily hit 9’s at 140 on unleaded race gas or a healthy dose of octane booster. E85 is bottom 9’s at mid/high 140’s.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Whipple comes with a dw400 fuel pump. What’s wrong with the intake tube?
If he goes with the stage 1 he won't get the fuel pump. I do believe the intake tube is due to the change of stock to 132mm throttle body.

Stage 2 Upgrade Kit Includes:
-Smaller Supercharger Pulley
-132mm Throttle Body with Electronics, Coupler and Clamps
-Stage 2 Intake Tube
-Stage 2 Calibration
-DeatschWerks 415lph Fuel Pump

0.png

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I really think a Whipple stage 2, 3.625 pulley, wheels and tires, and a custom cal would pretty easily hit 9’s at 140 on unleaded race gas or a healthy dose of octane booster. E85 is bottom 9’s at mid/high 140’s.
Its definitely possible

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If he goes with the stage 1 he won't get the fuel pump. I do believe the intake tube is due to the change of stock to 132mm throttle body.

Stage 2 Upgrade Kit Includes:
-Smaller Supercharger Pulley
-132mm Throttle Body with Electronics, Coupler and Clamps
-Stage 2 Intake Tube
-Stage 2 Calibration
-DeatschWerks 415lph Fuel Pump

0.png

He’s looking to go 9’s once the warranty is up, and that won’t happen on a DW400, all he needs right now is the Stage 1 kit. When his warranties up he adds a 132TB, Custom Tune, E85 Fuel System, Pulley Down & OPG/CS

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Thats true but Al Coyote Car Guy got his engine replaced very quickly with the extra cost warranty.

This isn’t the issue, the poster asked about eventually going NINES with a kit, I still stand by my opinion, the ROUSH is not a kit I would purchase if down the road I wanted to run 9 Sec ET’s.

Oh, I agree that if my goal were 9s, I wouldn't do the Roush. Warranties and 9s do not coexist. Not everyone gets the same service as Coyote guy who is a youtuber with a large following.

If my goal was 9s, I would say screw
the warranty and get a tuner kit from Beefcake. He would help put together a great combination for less money than buying one of the stage kits and then adding to it. My preference would be Edelbrock because I prefer the TVS supercharger but a Whipple would get the number as well. Lund or PBD could get either into the 9s.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Oh, I agree that if my goal were 9s, I wouldn't do the Roush. Warranties and 9s do not coexist. Not everyone gets the same service as Coyote guy who is a youtuber with a large following.

If my goal was 9s, I would say screw
the warranty and get a tuner kit from Beefcake. He would help put together a great combination for less money than buying one of the stage kits and then adding to it. My preference would be Edelbrock because I prefer the TVS supercharger but a Whipple would get the number as well. Lund or PBD could get either into the 9s.

For sure but Al wasn’t so well known when he got his short block, however your right. Pick up the phone and call Terry, he won’t steer you wrong.

The Roush will keep u happy too with a warranty still going high 10’s, and later when the warranty is over if can be happy going 10.40’s on a tune with a splash of race gas, then buy the P2 now, keep the warranty and tune it when your warranty runs out.

I know a guy with a white mustang from Minnesota that’s gonna do just that:cwl:
Sponsored