Sponsored

Rock Chips Prone Areas?

Rbp_280z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang 5.0
I’m thinking of getting a clear bra for my 2021 Mustang GT. What areas would be good to have it installed on? I was thinking of Xpel Ultinate on: front bumper, partial hood, partial fender, side mirrors, headlights and fog lights.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I’m thinking of getting a clear bra for my 2021 Mustang GT. What areas would be good to have it installed on? I was thinking of Xpel Ultinate on: front bumper, partial hood, partial fender, side mirrors, headlights and fog lights.
I know this will increase the price, but I would be doing full coverage for the bonnet and fenders so that you get consistency. If/when the PPF is removed, I have seen where there is a very distinctive difference in the protected and non protected areas on the same panel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I know this will increase the price, but I would be doing full coverage for the bonnet and fenders so that you get consistency. If/when the PPF is removed, I have seen where there is a very distinctive difference in the protected and non protected areas on the same panel.
+1 My detailer insisted on doing my full hood and fenders. He noted the intelligence of rock chips in finding the line and hitting the panel on the wrong side of it. :giggle: I would also highly recommend doing the A pillars. Doing this also covers the edge of the roof and only costs about $100.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
In front of the rear tires!!! That body bump out right past the doors. Omg, the chips!!

I went with like half the car, ppf, and that area isnt covered, and is getting wrecked. I threw on some rokblox to try and mitigate it, but wish I had ppf there.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In front of the rear tires!!! That body bump out right past the doors. Omg, the chips!!
This.

Tiny and plentiful chips, you don't really notice until you get up close when detailing and then you see the horror. I've got the ZL1 rock guards up front and they help, but PPFing the front portions of the rear quarters should have happened when the car was new.

Sponsored

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Get the full hood and fenders. I did xpel of the entire front, fenders, mirrors, and the black trunk lid (that area is prone to marks).

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Any prices on the full hood package greatly appreciated.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Any prices on the full hood package greatly appreciated.
Scott, the only pricing that will be of help to you will be from your local installers. What good would prices in Myrtle Beach, Dallas, or Los Angeles be to you. Go on Google, Facebook, and Yelp and search for Car Detailers. You will have everything you need to make an informed decision in short order. Good luck.

Here’s a start for you.

https://www.titanmotorworks.com/

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Pretty much everywhere. All painted parts of the front bumper, entire hood, top edge of the roof where it meets the windshield, rear fenders, front fenders, and as a bonus, PPF that gloss black trim as well. If you don't, it turns into scratch city in no time.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
California. Will the car be a DD? Highways often?

In addition to the areas noted above by others and your own sections of interest...

1. The rocker panel areas, full length between the wheels and the wheel lips around all tires. Basically, anywhere you typically see spray from the wheels.

2. I'd consider the leading section of the roof, at least the first foot.

If possible, check out the local clubs in your area, for their experience with their cars.

Accounts of pricing can vary widely and it is often location-specific, so check out or tour some of the local shops. Car clubs in your area might have some great references.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I was going to write the same opinion. Do the full hood and fenders. Other than front bumper area these are exposed significantly to rock chips. Have taken that approach for my C7 Corvette Z06 and 2019 GT350. Yes it increases the price but over time is worth it. Consider that sometimes implementing a half way measure is not even worth the "half" expenditure.
Sponsored