six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Hi All,

So I'm driving the speed limit in the right lane, minding my own business. I glance down to change the radio station and I hear a whack. I just barely catch something in the corner of my eye bouncing off my car. Something hit me, but I have no idea what. Judging by the damage it had to be good sized.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've heard Dr. Colorchip thrown around here, is this too extensive?

uNZiP2T.jpg

cMJjUvM.jpg

Sponsored

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Pretty sure that's to extensive. Most likely slight repair and refinish, use a reputable shop.. trust me. It's definitely through the clear right?

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the paint is completely scraped away in some of those gashes. :( Hoping to avoid a shop if I can.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Yeah,I get that. You can try the color chip repair,but there are so many in a confined area,it may not look great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
dr color chip can take care of that

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Try Dr. Colorchip first you have nothing to lose other than $50-60 for the kit really. It may do the job good enough for now

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
If.....

If it was my car, I would get it fixed the right way....... To much to tuch up... :thumbsup:

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
^^^ I'm with him.. I'm also in the industry so I've seen "a lot" of touch ups before. I will say I've never seen or used theDr Chip before though. Like the prev member said you can try it and if it doesn't work, go the conventional repair route. If you find a good painter he should be able to burn it in and not not have to blend into other panels, he will need to clear it though.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Sorry to hear about this man. We're actually thread twins, being that I just came here for the same advice two days ago. Others recommended Dr Colorchip for me too and I had never heard about it. I next day air'd it and just got it in today. Tried it about an hour and a half ago and I'm about 80% satisfied.

IMHO, if I had gotten as much paint chipped off as you did, I'd let a shop take care of it for me. While Dr Colorchip seems to work for me, it just simply turned my white chip into a chip that's darker and blends in ok (not perfectly) with the rest of my paint. If my little chip is noticeable to me in the shade, my only guess is that yours would be noticeable as well given that the paint scratches are much larger than mine.

I'm considering letting a shop take care of my small chip and getting a clear bra to prevent it in the future. Others may think that it's a bit too excessive and a waste, but I plan to keep this car for another 6+ years like I did with my last one, and I want to keep it in as perfect condition as I possibly can. It's hard for me to "just deal with it" for a car that has such a beautiful paint job.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02. Good luck and I'll be subscribing to see what you end up doing!

Sponsored
OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate all the advice and viewpoints. I've decided to try the Dr. Colorchip first, and if it sucks I'll find a shop to do it right.

I drive 120 miles roundtrip for my commute each day so I am bound to get chips, it just sucks when the car is less than 6 months old.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate all the advice and viewpoints. I've decided to try the Dr. Colorchip first, and if it sucks I'll find a shop to do it right.

I drive 120 miles roundtrip for my commute each day so I am bound to get chips, it just sucks when the car is less than 6 months old.
Good choice. Good luck man!

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to post a follow up. I would give the Dr. Colorchip about a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. It definitely improved it, although honestly I don't think it is much better than regular touch up paint.

http://imgur.com/a/WtVsi

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just wanted to post a follow up. I would give the Dr. Colorchip about a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. It definitely improved it, although honestly I don't think it is much better than regular touch up paint.
Yeah I'm with you there. I actually ordered the touch up paint from Ford and it took like 2-3 weeks to come in (very stupid I know) while Dr Colorchip came 2 days later. I tried using the touch up paint from Ford and, while the color is pretty much the same, I think the method for applying the touch up with Dr Colorchip is a little better IMHO. The one from Ford dries up pretty damn fast.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If it's a daily dr. color chip it out... when something else happens, go have it R&R'd...
Sponsored