Sponsored

Road course intercooler options

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost 1993 20b rx7
I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this forum and vendor sites. First off Im not new to the turbo game. I have had many turbo rotary car, and other turbo 4 import vehicles. Im familiar with companies that provide parts to the import crowd, not so much with the stuff Im seeing for my mustang.

Now for my goal. Im looking for the best road course intercooler upgrade. I guess my problem is Im not trying to upgrade power at the moment. I want to instal an oil cooler, intercooler, and radiator while leaving the power stock along with tune/ exhaust. Im seeing many large cores meant for big power/ drag racing. Im just concerned running such large intercoolers may be a negative on an otherwise stock engine performance wise (lag/etc), but still need the cooling. I have used PWR in the past and liked them quite a bit, but they don't offer anything for our cars. I don't really think a smaller stock size aftermarket unit would work well based on dyno heat soak complaints.

I plan on using a C&R radiator, and probably making a custom Setrab oil cooler set-up. No one seems to offer any bolt in oil coolers other than mishimoto. I guess my actual question is if people are resorting to the giant core, big power intercoolers on otherwise stock cars for road course duty? Im concerned with taking away corner exit performance and adding lag with an intercooler like the MAP race intercooler.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
You have a lot of reading to do ...there are multiple FMIC 's to choose from along with the option of plumbing in an EBay off brand larger intercooler of your choice ..

What about your suspension and brakes . Are you planning on remaining stock with them ?

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
MAPerformance Street FMIC
COBB FMIC
Mishimoto FMIC
Garett FMIC

The above all use the standard location of install and are rated to 500-550whp. I have just installed the MAP one, however I understand the Cobb and Garrett are nice as well. Mishimoto is also a popular choice. I can't comment on how it performs I have only done 40kms since install :) But so far so good. I spent a bit of time and went for MAP as it looked very well made and price was very good. There are probably others I have missed, but they were my shortlist.

I would suggest to talk to your tuner and they will suggest something for your final usage.. I know Tune+ suggested a few larger ones but I didnt want to go big or look too aggressive just in case of warranty. In hindsight I may have gone a little bigger but really didnt want to lose too much pressure and felt that the larger ones would do that

PS> Why do you want an oil cooler if you are not going for outright performance? If its for longevity perhaps a good catch can may help (so they say?)

OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAPerformance Street FMIC
COBB FMIC
Mishimoto FMIC
Garett FMIC

The above all use the standard location of install and are rated to 500-550whp. I have just installed the MAP one, however I understand the Cobb and Garrett are nice as well. Mishimoto is also a popular choice. I can't comment on how it performs I have only done 40kms since install :) But so far so good. I spent a bit of time and went for MAP as it looked very well made and price was very good. There are probably others I have missed, but they were my shortlist.

I would suggest to talk to your tuner and they will suggest something for your final usage.. I know Tune+ suggested a few larger ones but I didnt want to go big or look too aggressive just in case of warranty. In hindsight I may have gone a little bigger but really didnt want to lose too much pressure and felt that the larger ones would do that

PS> Why do you want an oil cooler if you are not going for outright performance? If its for longevity perhaps a good catch can may help (so they say?)

Appreciate the input. An extended track use even with the engine in all stock power output should need an oil cooler. Running flat out on a road course for 20-30min can get the oil temps very high. Really Im looking for reliability, best way I have found is to keep the power level stock or close to stock and upgrade cooling.

OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a lot of reading to do ...there are multiple FMIC 's to choose from along with the option of plumbing in an EBay off brand larger intercooler of your choice ..

What about your suspension and brakes . Are you planning on remaining stock with them ?
I have looked at many of the intercooler choices. Seems none of them advertise in the direction of what a road course car would need. If the core is to big or restrictive the lag will hurt drivability out of corners.

For suspension Im planning on driving the car at an hpde to see what I think initially, then going from there. Im sure there is quite a bit to be desired, and will probable end up going the KW route or Cortex racing. Brakes will start with a pad and rotor upgrade. I don't plan on running an aggressive track only tire on this car. I really like the cars handling characteristics all stock, Im just looking to upgrade reliability.

Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
It really sounds like you are chasing a unicorn.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but what you want does not really exist in the configuration you are probably wanting.

You want a cooler that will keep your charge air temps in check for 20-30 minute sessions, but you don't want it to be large enough to induce lag.

You need to have core volume to dissipate the heat our little hair dryers create. That will add lag, even though it's so little it is almost not measurable.

What I can tell you is that I have one of the largest cores on the market installed on my car. Even with the aftermarket turbo, lag is practically non-existent.

OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really sounds like you are chasing a unicorn.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but what you want does not really exist in the configuration you are probably wanting.

You want a cooler that will keep your charge air temps in check for 20-30 minute sessions, but you don't want it to be large enough to induce lag.

You need to have core volume to dissipate the heat our little hair dryers create. That will add lag, even though it's so little it is almost not measurable.

What I can tell you is that I have one of the largest cores on the market installed on my car. Even with the aftermarket turbo, lag is practically non-existent.
Great info. I know inducing no lag is impossible, just looking for the best option in that department. If you don't mind me asking, what brand are you running? Im just trying to avoid the experience I had with a Buschur racing intercooler on an evo I had.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Great info. I know inducing no lag is impossible, just looking for the best option in that department. If you don't mind me asking, what brand are you running? Im just trying to avoid the experience I had with a Buschur racing intercooler on an evo I had.
I have the cp-e Race Core on my car.

i-NdbsPwM-XL.jpg

i-JCwzNc8-XL.jpg

No fitment issues whatsoever, and it certainly helps to keep the charge air temps in check.

In all honesty, the turbos are so small and spool so quickly on these cars you will never feel the lag.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Any of the name brand intercoolers will serve your purpose. If you are running close to stock power levels, a large/race intercooler won't benefit you. The basic "up to 550 hp" intercooler will do, ambient will be pretty close. The only time you will see a significant rise(@20 degree or more) is sitting behind a group of cars on the track for an extended time, and even then, the recovery period is very quick once you get back into clean air.
Tell us about the 20B RX7 in your sig-how much boost and how much power?

OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any of the name brand intercoolers will serve your purpose. If you are running close to stock power levels, a large/race intercooler won't benefit you. The basic "up to 550 hp" intercooler will do, ambient will be pretty close. The only time you will see a significant rise(@20 degree or more) is sitting behind a group of cars on the track for an extended time, and even then, the recovery period is very quick once you get back into clean air.
Tell us about the 20B RX7 in your sig-how much boost and how much power?
Ah my RX7, no boost. Its an n/a 20b semi p-port engine. It has put down 475 wheel at 10,500 rpm.

video of my last chassis with my current engine in it. This engine has been through three different chassis's.
[ame]

Defined Autoworks built the engine. I had a build thread on another forum, but seems all my photo bucket image links are broken for some reason. My engine has been around for quite a while also, this chart is from 2011.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the cp-e Race Core on my car.

i-NdbsPwM-XL.jpg

i-JCwzNc8-XL.jpg

No fitment issues whatsoever, and it certainly helps to keep the charge air temps in check.

In all honesty, the turbos are so small and spool so quickly on these cars you will never feel the lag.
Nice looking set-up. I will look into cp-e.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That rotary sounds sweet!! The 20b is a phenomenal engine: 12-16 lbs of boost will see 550 hp with the right turbo.

OP
OP

EfiniRX7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That rotary sounds sweet!! The 20b is a phenomenal engine: 12-16 lbs of boost will see 550 hp with the right turbo.
Yeah turbo 20b is a real fun ride. Defined has built quite a few turbo 20b cars. Unfortunately for the class I run my car can only produce 330 rear wheel hp since it weighs 2380 without me in it. I run nasa st2, its a power to weight class.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
Levels, ATM, CPE, ETS, ? other are the big ones you may have read about. TheLion posted on the following thread some dyno results (FP tuned) with the Levels IC and ATM IC (see posts #1880 & 1881) with some comments about the turbo's efficiency island for each.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59463&page=126

When I get my EB the ATM is what I'm going with due to its stepped core and rounded bar end between the charge rows.
https://www.atmspeedshop.com/products/ford-ecoboost-mustang-front-mount-intercooler

If you hang out on FB, people are always dumping parts on the 'Ford Mustang EcoBoost' page.

I believe Lion is also running a mishimoto radiator & oil cooler.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I've got the regular cp-3 intercooler with a FP tune and have been very happy with it, been on three road courses with it now.

I also installed the Mishimoto radiator and it performed fantastically with way more than enough cooling through multiple 20-25 minute sessions, some in high Texas heat on the track. I removed it a short time ago when I had to take the Mustang in for warranty work and now have to raise some money for medical bills, so might be interested in selling for a big discount, PM me if you are interested.

Just FYI, one thing you didn't mention was brake upgrade. I upgraded to front GT brakes, but on AMP started cooking them by the end of the last session. If I track again I am going to look at brake cooling ducts or better pads/rotors.... cp-e intercooler did great, Mishimoto radiator did great, but the brakes seem to be the weakest link now on the track.
Sponsored