Sponsored

Riddle me This Batman

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
So with 1/8 a tank of gas I get the zero miles to empty warning. I proceed to drive 32 more miles and fill up with the gauge showing a hair above empty. Car takes 14.7 gallons.
I think a calibration is needed.
Moral of the story pay attention to the gauge and not miles to empty. With just a hair over E I have a about 1.3 more gallons.
Don’t worry about the 83 mph. I was in Mexico and the wife took the pic.
D0C8A0CD-C7F4-4976-8BC1-CA63067689E4.jpeg

2FD8FEAF-E722-440B-B513-85076FBFFA97.jpeg
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
SMGDH. It is standard to show 0 miles to E when the fuel is at a level that it cannot be read properly or properly calculated. That is normally when you are less than 2 gallons in the tank or have roughly 40-50 miles remaining. This is nothing new. My old F-150 would read to 50 miles remaining and after that the light would come on and it would read as empty. So you do not need a calibration. You just need to educate yourself.

Also it is not a good idea to drive it at those speeds with such a small amount of gas remaining. Unless you want to damage your engine or fuel system. Such a low level of fuel could cause extra strain on your fuel pump, overheating of the fuel pump, or going around a curve or an upgrade could cause less fuel to make it to the pump and you can lean out. Less fuel will have less gravity and will also heat up much faster. When you are less than 1/4 tank on a forced induction high performance engine, you should really be driving it easy. This car is way to expensive to be fooling around with like this. Treat it with respect and you'll get to enjoy it for a long time. Keep doing stuff like this and you'll end up needing a new engine.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SMGDH. It is standard to show 0 miles to E when the fuel is at a level that it cannot be read properly or properly calculated. That is normally when you are less than 2 gallons in the tank or have roughly 40-50 miles remaining. This is nothing new. My old F-150 would read to 50 miles remaining and after that the light would come on and it would read as empty. So you do not need a calibration. You just need to educate yourself.

Also it is not a good idea to drive it at those speeds with such a small amount of gas remaining. Unless you want to damage your engine or fuel system. Such a low level of fuel could cause extra strain on your fuel pump, overheating of the fuel pump, or going around a curve or an upgrade could cause less fuel to make it to the pump and you can lean out. Less fuel will have less gravity and will also heat up much faster. When you are less than 1/4 tank on a forced induction high performance engine, you should really be driving it easy. This car is way to expensive to be fooling around with like this. Treat it with respect and you'll get to enjoy it for a long time. Keep doing stuff like this and you'll end up needing a new engine.

And the fuel police have arrived everyone. Thanks for the chastising.
The car should not say zero miles to empty if you can drive another 32 miles and still have 1.3 gallons in the the tank. My car life time average is 11 miles per gallon so I had roughly 4 gallons to empty which according to modern math is 1/4 a tank not 1/8 so something is out of whack even if you think it's not.

Causes damage to the car. Really??? You really believe that Ford is going to design an engine that will be damaged for running it when it has less than 2-3 gallons of gas in the tank. Please post a link to this information so you can educate everyone with your wisdom specific to this car please not a 30 year old article you read in road and track ages ago.

There are so many safety systems in the car to prevent you from destroying the engine by driving it well below it's limits. Doing 83 mph down the highway is no where near going to destroy this engine even if you run it dry. It is no where near it's limit to destroy itself for lack of fuel.

You get a COME ON MAN for that one.

Have a great rest of your weekend and make sure your fuel gauge is always on full.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will add I get it if you are thrashing the car at the track getting 4.4 mpg like I have in the past. Running the car dry while flogging the car like that, yes, the car won't be happy but I still don't buy destroying the engine. Limp mode, sure, killing it, I suppose it could happen but I think it shuts down first.

Sponsored

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
The 0 miles to E and the idiot light just to the right are warnings to save the engine when people like you get behind the wheel.

The saying goes.

"Nothings idiot proof, just a better idiot will come along"

Psst. thats you.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 0 miles to E and the idiot light just to the right are warnings to save the engine when people like you get behind the wheel.

The saying goes.

"Nothings idiot proof, just a better idiot will come along"

Psst. thats you.
People like you. Pot meet kettle. Thanks for the insight.
It's like the saying, if you don't know who the idiot in the room is, it's you. So go take a look in the mirror and have a great Sunday.

I would expect more of someone living in our nation's capital, oh wait, never mind. That ship sailed a long time ago. So please carry on with the insults and name calling. It's a great way to make friends and influence people.
Yes, fell free to use my pot meet kettle reference above.

May your fuel gauge always be on full.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Coming here from the GT350 forums is pretty enlightening.....Not! Same deal over there.
Someone that actually owns a GT500 gets chastised by everyone who doesn’t.
You gents should chill, as we used to say in the ‘70’s ;-)

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the fuel police have arrived everyone. Thanks for the chastising.
The car should not say zero miles to empty if you can drive another 32 miles and still have 1.3 gallons in the the tank. My car life time average is 11 miles per gallon so I had roughly 4 gallons to empty which according to modern math is 1/4 a tank not 1/8 so something is out of whack even if you think it's not.

Causes damage to the car. Really??? You really believe that Ford is going to design an engine that will be damaged for running it when it has less than 2-3 gallons of gas in the tank. Please post a link to this information so you can educate everyone with your wisdom specific to this car please not a 30 year old article you read in road and track ages ago.

There are so many safety systems in the car to prevent you from destroying the engine by driving it well below it's limits. Doing 83 mph down the highway is no where near going to destroy this engine even if you run it dry. It is no where near it's limit to destroy itself for lack of fuel.

You get a COME ON MAN for that one.

Have a great rest of your weekend and make sure your fuel gauge is always on full.
The fact that you're confused enough about why your gauge says E when you could still drive 30+ miles to start a post about it says all I need to know. Like anyone with common sense will tell you, and like was already mentioned, this is a standard concept amongst vehicle manufacturers. They allow for room so that someone like you doesn't end up getting stranded on the side of the road somewhere. Also the fact that the ECU cannot properly read and calculate remaining distance once it gets below a certain point. Do you now understand? Every vehicle will do the same thing. BMWs, Audis, Toyotas, Fords, Volvos. Yet somehow you're the only one confused about this. So I will explain again. This is normal. There is nothing wrong with the car. But if you're that unsure about the obvious then please just go drop your car off at the dealership. At least that way the car will be in responsible hands. It's safer with them anyway. And since you're soo sure of it, go WOT with the gas light showing a few times. And video it for us.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming here from the GT350 forums is pretty enlightening.....Not! Same deal over there.
Someone that actually owns a GT500 gets chastised by everyone who doesn’t.
You gents should chill, as we used to say in the ‘70’s ;-)
You're defending someone who is confused about the gas light. Just so you know.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You're defending someone who is confused about the gas light. Just so you know.
No, read my post again, I’m not defending anyone. Just an observation of non owners jumping on those who actually own the car.
BTW my GT350’s gas gauge/idiot light works annoyingly well. Miles to empty shown vs real life gallons in the tank are frighteningly accurate. I say annoying because it keeps reminding me like I’m an Alzheimer’s patient.
The second reason I jumped in here is I always want to know where I “actually” stand with gallons in the tank. Most cars fuel gages are pretty inaccurate and I dislike stopping for fuel. It’s bad enough our range is limited due to tank size, 500’s even worse. I know it’s due to weight savings for the track. I also know some of those that actually track their 500’s would like larger tanks even if they give up a weight gain.
In almost 48 years of driving, I’ve never run out of fuel, ever! I’ve also pushed the limit many, many times because I know my car/trucks “real” limit....drives my wife nuts.
Peace out brothers and sisters.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
By the way... staying out of boost with less than a 1/4 tank of gas was sage advice for S197 GT500s, especially on modified cars. This was to prevent fuel sloshing resulting in cavitation and a subsequent lean condition. Ford solved this problem by putting a sump around the fuel pumps in the 2020 GT500. You can run this car full tilt boogie until out of gas.

I was on the Charlotte track with a gas gauge reading completely empty with zero miles remaining with no way to signal the instructor car in the lead. I drove another two balls-out laps before heading to the pits for more gas... I made it and the car survived with no issues.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fact that you're confused enough about why your gauge says E when you could still drive 30+ miles to start a post about it says all I need to know. Like anyone with common sense will tell you, and like was already mentioned, this is a standard concept amongst vehicle manufacturers. They allow for room so that someone like you doesn't end up getting stranded on the side of the road somewhere. Also the fact that the ECU cannot properly read and calculate remaining distance once it gets below a certain point. Do you now understand? Every vehicle will do the same thing. BMWs, Audis, Toyotas, Fords, Volvos. Yet somehow you're the only one confused about this. So I will explain again. This is normal. There is nothing wrong with the car. But if you're that unsure about the obvious then please just go drop your car off at the dealership. At least that way the car will be in responsible hands. It's safer with them anyway. And since you're soo sure of it, go WOT with the gas light showing a few times. And video it for us.
Zero confusion here. The safety range for every other car I have owned has been 10-15 actual miles to empty when the zero miles to empty light comes on to include Audi, GT350, Fords, Hellcat, 5.0, etc. I understand an acceptable “safety” margin. Who relies on that estimate anyway? The gauge should be your true measure.
Can y’all not comprehend when the car has 4+ gallons of gas left and it’s saying zero miles to empty is not an accurate representation of real conditions? If you cannot see the flaw with a car displaying zero miles to empty and 1/8 of a tank of gas when the car actually has 1/4 of a tank of gas left, that’s your problem not mine.
This goes back to some earlier pots. What’s the point for name calling and belittling someone?
That’s right, the internet is full of key board cowboys that know everything.
May your gas gauge always read full my internet key board cowboys and all of your infinite never ending words of wisdom and helpful advise continue to enlighten us idiots.
SMDH.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread is 6G in a nutshell:

Question, followed by opinions A & B, then bickering between the proponents of A & B :crackup:
Why forums were invented I believe.
I must admit, I do like poking the bear sometimes and stimulating spirited conversations.
Key board cowboys unit!!!!
😂

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just for comparison, both my current 2020 GT and my former 2017 GT miles to empty seemed pretty accurate. Twice I got my 2017 to around 12 miles to empty and when I filled it up, it took about 15.2 gallons to fill it up. Ran my 2020 down to 12 miles to empty once, same thing, 15.2 gallons to fill it up.

Doug
Sponsored