Resonator X-Pipe Delete?

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
what are your thoughts between the Resonated X and a true H pipe? I’m looking for a lower beefier sound and don’t really want something crazy loud, but I heard the resonated x might kill the volume even more than stock? Stock is decent volume but I wouldn’t want it quieter really, but I don’t want to be screaming loud on cold starts either.
There is some feedback in this thread however most seem to have aftermarket headers and/or mufflers. Don't think I've found feedback on an otherwise stock exhaust.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-for-all-2015-2017-gt-mustangs.80029/page-15
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Next will be the triple H or X pipe..:D
NO. How about the best of both worlds: an X and an H pipe all in one. Ha ha. And the Corsa is almost that; it only needs the 'H' part to be added to the straight tubes. Then, no need to agonize which one (X or H) :D.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
OK first off: That Ebay H-pipe I mentioned in post 12 is a piece of crap. Bought it and tried to install it last night but looks like it was made in someone's garage and the large end wasn't expanded enough to accept the factory pipe, sending it back.

what are your thoughts between the Resonated X and a true H pipe? I’m looking for a lower beefier sound and don’t really want something crazy loud, but I heard the resonated x might kill the volume even more than stock? Stock is decent volume but I wouldn’t want it quieter really, but I don’t want to be screaming loud on cold starts either.
There is some feedback in this thread however most seem to have aftermarket headers and/or mufflers. Don't think I've found feedback on an otherwise stock exhaust.
Now to answer your questions: I have had the stock resonator, which is straight like an H-pipe; the Magnaflow Tru-X, which is a resonated X-pipe; and both a plain H and a plain X pipe, all on my car with the stock 2018 mufflers and cats, no headers.

This may be dangerous to say, but it just seemed to me that the car's performance felt the tiniest bit restricted with both X pipes. I could be completely wrong and they may dyno exactly the same but I always thought that the car felt more responsive with both the stock resonator and the plain H-pipe. Exhaust scavenging is a real thing and it just might be that these engines respond better to H-pipes with the stock mufflers but I have no proof of that.

Sound wise, as you would expect, both the plain X and H pipes produced a louder tone than the stock resonator or the Tru-X. However, they also both in my opinion made the stock mufflers sound tinny. For the longest time I would keep going back and checking my install because it sounded like a loose piece of sheet metal or something at WOT. They also made the stock mufflers harsher / splattier, especially at cold start. I didn't really notice much of a tone difference between the plain X and the plain H.

None of the four setups helped with the booming 2000 rpm drone of the stock mufflers, which I was trying to tone down.

I'm currently running LTH Scorpion axle-backs with the stock resonator. There are times I wish it was a little louder at certain RPMs but that's probably because the Scorpion's J-pipe construction cancels out certain frequencies - luckily the 2000 rpm drone is gone too. I may still try a plain H-pipe someday with them but it's a PIA to get under there and adjust the tips in the valence, and in general I love the way the Scorpions sound, especially at hard throttle winding up through the RPM range, it sounds exotic. However I doubt I will EVER want to try any type of X pipe again, resonated or not.

Hope this helps guys!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
NO. How about the best of both worlds: an X and an H pipe all in one. Ha ha. And the Corsa is almost that; it only needs the 'H' part to be added to the straight tubes. Then, no need to agonize which one (X or H) :D.
Didnt the Akropovic for the E92 M3 do this.

Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
...Now to answer your questions: I have had the stock resonator, which is straight like an H-pipe; the Magnaflow Tru-X, which is a resonated X-pipe; and both a plain H and a plain X pipe, all on my car with the stock 2018 mufflers and cats, no headers.
None of the four setups helped with the booming 2000 rpm drone of the stock mufflers, which I was trying to tone down.
How was the volume when you switched to the resonated X though compared to stock? About the same volume? I heard it beefs up the tone though too and makes things a little lower sounding overall and less tinny.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
409 stainless is good too... may get a little surface rust but won't rust out like aluminized systems.

I've had an X, the Steeda H, and the Magnaflow Tru-X resonated X and preferred the H with the stock mufflers.

I DO NOT recommend this H-pipe. Tried it and the expanded end was too small for the stock pipes to fit into, and the smaller end was so rough I had to file it then apply grease to get it into the clamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2020-Mustang-GT-5-0-H-Pipe-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Resonator-Delete/192879805848?fits=Model:Mustang&hash=item2ce8884598:g:cEMAAOSwbdFfCHWs:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!15642!US!-1
Yes I had 409 before never even got surface rust, S. Cali.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
OK first off: That Ebay H-pipe I mentioned in post 12 is a piece of crap. Bought it and tried to install it last night but looks like it was made in someone's garage and the large end wasn't expanded enough to accept the factory pipe, sending it back.

Now to answer your questions: I have had the stock resonator, which is straight like an H-pipe; the Magnaflow Tru-X, which is a resonated X-pipe; and both a plain H and a plain X pipe, all on my car with the stock 2018 mufflers and cats, no headers.

This may be dangerous to say, but it just seemed to me that the car's performance felt the tiniest bit restricted with both X pipes. I could be completely wrong and they may dyno exactly the same but I always thought that the car felt more responsive with both the stock resonator and the plain H-pipe. Exhaust scavenging is a real thing and it just might be that these engines respond better to H-pipes with the stock mufflers but I have no proof of that.

Sound wise, as you would expect, both the plain X and H pipes produced a louder tone than the stock resonator or the Tru-X. However, they also both in my opinion made the stock mufflers sound tinny. For the longest time I would keep going back and checking my install because it sounded like a loose piece of sheet metal or something at WOT. They also made the stock mufflers harsher / splattier, especially at cold start. I didn't really notice much of a tone difference between the plain X and the plain H.

I'm currently running LTH Scorpion axle-backs with the stock resonator. There are times I wish it was a little louder at certain RPMs but that's probably because the Scorpion's J-pipe construction cancels out certain frequencies - luckily the 2000 rpm drone is gone too. I may still try a plain H-pipe someday with them but it's a PIA to get under there and adjust the tips in the valence, and in general I love the way the Scorpions sound, especially at hard throttle winding up through the RPM range, it sounds exotic. However I doubt I will EVER want to try any type of X pipe again, resonated or not.

Hope this helps guys!
Thank you, this makes me not want to slap my X-Pipe on there just yet. I think going axlebacks first actually makes more sense.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT RTR series 1 PP2
Borla switchfire user chiming in... Love it. Not too loud, nice rasp, cold starts not too crazy loud, no drone, loud when wot and sounds amazing as you downshift slowing down... Highly recommend. I have no desire for an axel back. Sticking with the OEM mufflers. My sound is perfect. Btw non-active exhaust here.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
How was the volume when you switched to the resonated X though compared to stock? About the same volume? I heard it beefs up the tone though too and makes things a little lower sounding overall and less tinny.
Resonated X volume was similar to stock. I did not feel that it did anything to improve the tone, and it felt a little like the car wasn't quite as responsive.

Sponsored

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha :p

I meannnnn, If it improves the sound quality of my exhaust note I'm all for it.

Akrapovic who makes exhausts for exotics and such makes an exhaust for the E92 M3 and it had both an h and x built into their midpipe. So its been done before.

akr_MTP-BME90M3H.jpg

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Someone who tried the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe on his otherwise stock active exhaust car told me it made his car quieter than stock.

Good if you have long tubes or a loud catback but dialing up your AE just a notch it won't.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OK today I installed a Steeda X-pipe with the Scorpion axle-backs, replacing the stock resonator, and I do NOT like it. It makes the startup and low RPM's more booming, but makes it QUIETER in mid-range! This is the 3rd time I've used an X-pipe and it's been the same thing every time, it made everything quieter above mid-range. Weirdest thing. Putting the stock resonator back on, the mid-range sounds exotic with the stock resonator, and startups are manageable.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
OK today I installed a Steeda X-pipe with the Scorpion axle-backs, replacing the stock resonator, and I do NOT like it. It makes the startup and low RPM's more booming, but makes it QUIETER in mid-range! This is the 3rd time I've used an X-pipe and it's been the same thing every time, it made everything quieter above mid-range. Weirdest thing. Putting the stock resonator back on, the mid-range sounds exotic with the stock resonator, and startups are manageable.
Agree that's a strange result. Everyone I've known that replaced the stock resonator with an X-pipe or H-pipe got more volume across the board, especially with aftermarket mufflers. Usually the complaint with an X-pipe is too much rasp or maybe too loud.
Sponsored