Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1, 2018 F150 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Question, hasnt doing the resonator delete created a lot of drone for those who've done it? Or is there something built into the Steeda kit everyone is referring to that helps with drone? I have an H pipe and Im on my 3rd set of mufflers because the drone has been pretty bad. I finally added Vibrant resonators and it has helped a lot but not completely eliminated it. I have long tube headers, so maybe they are a major culprit and drone isnt nearly as bad with stock manifolds?
Sponsored

Joesruby18gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Black Accent Pack
No issues, had a Ford Performance X installed by a custom muffler shop. They didn’t have to drop the mufflers/tips down and I had them weld (rather than clamp) the back of the X while ensuring the tips were aligned. Awesome sound in track mode thru first 3 gears!!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Question, hasnt doing the resonator delete created a lot of drone for those who've done it? Or is there something built into the Steeda kit everyone is referring to that helps with drone? I have an H pipe and Im on my 3rd set of mufflers because the drone has been pretty bad. I finally added Vibrant resonators and it has helped a lot but not completely eliminated it. I have long tube headers, so maybe they are a major culprit and drone isnt nearly as bad with stock manifolds?
It’s usually the mufflers that cause the drone, not the mid resonator (or resonator delete). The long tubes might be what you’re getting in the cabin, but I don’t have long tubes so someone that does can also chime in.

Sponsored

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s usually the mufflers that cause the drone, not the mid resonator (or resonator delete). The long tubes might be what you’re getting in the cabin, but I don’t have long tubes so someone that does can also chime in.
When I first added the long tubes, I had an MBRP Race catback which consisted of an H-pipe and basically J-pipe resonators in place of mufflers. I dont recall any drone with that setup, but because the long tubes made the overall system so damn loud I switched to Borla S types. That combo fixed the volume but it brought pretty bad drone with it. So I assumed (and read into) it was lack of resonators causing the drone. But maybe you're right about the long tubes being what I was getting in the cabin. Again, adding the Vibrant resonators to the H-pipe has helped with the drone but not eliminated it.

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
19 Bullitt with Steeda X pipe and Steeda tune, sounds good enough that the neighbors told me it sounds better than the C5 Z06 that it replaced...no droning either, and in Track/3rd/6K+ it is Coyote Loud.

OBTW, had the installation done at a shop that did a hack job, ended up getting it fixed at another shop, so be careful when choosing...

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Not at all. Set the active exhaust to quiet and all i hear at cruising speed is the tires.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
When I first added the long tubes, I had an MBRP Race catback which consisted of an H-pipe and basically J-pipe resonators in place of mufflers. I dont recall any drone with that setup, but because the long tubes made the overall system so damn loud I switched to Borla S types. That combo fixed the volume but it brought pretty bad drone with it. So I assumed (and read into) it was lack of resonators causing the drone. But maybe you're right about the long tubes being what I was getting in the cabin. Again, adding the Vibrant resonators to the H-pipe has helped with the drone but not eliminated it.
Interesting you got drone when you switched to the Borla. They’re known for being drone free. Wish I had more experience with long tube setups but unfortunately I don’t.

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting you got drone when you switched to the Borla. They’re known for being drone free. Wish I had more experience with long tube setups but unfortunately I don’t.
Yes I was surprised also. All good thanks for chiming in

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I put the Steeda H-Pipe on my 2019 5.0 vert and it was very raspy in my favorite active settings.......removed it same day and put the resonator back on......about as loud but in my case more mellow and just smoother sounding!!:sunglasses:

Cmitchen53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
19 GT C/S
No issues, had a Ford Performance X installed by a custom muffler shop. They didn’t have to drop the mufflers/tips down and I had them weld (rather than clamp) the back of the X while ensuring the tips were aligned. Awesome sound in track mode thru first 3 gears!!
I did the ford performance x as well! Running Kooks 1 7/8 green catted LT’s paired with active Borla s types!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Drone is a product of muffler design / solution not the mid pipe. If you have a setup already that drones some the res delete will accent it but not create it. A muffler setup for no drone won't start to drone because of it, like AWE or Corsa etc. That said, the drone on the oem mufflers is minimal but the tone on oem after res delete was tinny and just awful. I think when I tried it originally soon after the purchase it lasted about a month before I had to scrap it for a full catback just due to that tinniness.

There are some resonated mid pipe options too that would tone it down some but again personally not a fan of the oem mufflers.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Steeda h-pipe in my 21 with AE and have had no issues. Love the deeper tone after the install.

This vid was very detailed and had a lot of good tips:

Using the smaller straps over the drive shaft to first dry fit the h-pipe, then keep the rear exhaust from dropping after your cuts was really helpful. Keep in mind a lot of water will leak from the exhaust when cutting.

You’ll love the mod!

708763CC-89C5-4C6D-8BA9-5E75569C869A.jpeg

051BEDE7-42EF-4570-9A76-04C18ABEE108.jpeg

BEE57709-0891-4617-BFC2-C12C0BC289A5.jpeg
Sponsored