Sponsored

Resonator Delete on OEM Factory Exhaust

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT w/ Black Accent Pkg
I’m thinking of having a resonator delete done on my 20 GT with OEM active exhaust. I’ve heard about the problem others have had with the active exhaust being unavailable after messing with it to do a res delete. How many of y’all with active have actually had this problem? I’m hoping the shop I take it to will be cognizant of where that exposed wire is and keep it away from any metal and throw some insulation and electrical tape on there.
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I did a resonator delete on my 21 with active exhaust & never had an issue.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I’m thinking of having a resonator delete done on my 20 GT with OEM active exhaust. I’ve heard about the problem others have had with the active exhaust being unavailable after messing with it to do a res delete. How many of y’all with active have actually had this problem? I’m hoping the shop I take it to will be cognizant of where that exposed wire is and keep it away from any metal and throw some insulation and electrical tape on there.
The problem happen when you don't cut the resonator off at the right place and leave it too long or don't insert the x/h pipe in far enough. The passenger side connectors are very close to the body at the top of the muffler. The get stupid hot and expand about 1/2". If it's too far rearward, it will push the connector into the body and short out.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The problem happen when you don't cut the resonator off at the right place and leave it too long or don't insert the x/h pipe in far enough. The passenger side connectors are very close to the body at the top of the muffler. The get stupid hot and expand about 1/2". If it's too far rearward, it will push the connector into the body and short out.
This, or they don't drop the rear section and wiggle it around during fitment causing damage :like:

Note that the problem can also be present on a completely standard car from the factory ...

I took a total of about 16mm out of mine during fitment :

1679416985981.png

WD :like:

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
I have a 2021 GT w active exhaust and did the steeda resonator delete and had ZERO ISSUES!!! It doesnt affect the active exhaust at all. Your gonna love the mod afterwards!!! =)
Anthony

Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Zero issues whatsoever. My only issue was that I found myself not using the active exhaust after the Steeda H-Pipe install. Normal mode is loud - not quite track mode, but definitely louder than sport once H-pipe was installed. Having the option of quiet mode became much more appealing after the H-pipe as there were definitely times I needed it to be a bit less intrusive.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
One of these is a factor right here, the other is when you're cutting it out not having something to keep the exhaust from dropping down to far IF you don't disconnect the wire harness from the exhaust when cutting it off.

Best thing to do before anything, disconnect the wire harness on both sides, secondly I would mark somewhere on the tips how far out or measure how far out they sit prior to cutting out the resonator so you know where the exhaust should be sitting roughly after you have the x-pipe installed and before clamping it down or bolting it down with the clamps make sure it is about in the same spot. This should stop you from having any problems

OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This, or they don't drop the rear section and wiggle it around during fitment causing damage :like:

Note that the problem can also be present on a completely standard car from the factory ...

I took a total of about 16mm out of mine during fitment :

1679416985981.png

WD :like:
Yea I’m really hoping they don’t just get to cutting and wiggling
I have a 2021 GT w active exhaust and did the steeda resonator delete and had ZERO ISSUES!!! It doesnt affect the active exhaust at all. Your gonna love the mod afterwards!!! =)
Anthony
Awesome! Did you do H or X?

OP
OP
The Insomnimaniac

The Insomnimaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zero issues whatsoever. My only issue was that I found myself not using the active exhaust after the Steeda H-Pipe install. Normal mode is loud - not quite track mode, but definitely louder than sport once H-pipe was installed. Having the option of quiet mode became much more appealing after the H-pipe as there were definitely times I needed it to be a bit less intrusive.
Yep quiet mode is gonna really save me some headache.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you plan on having a shop do it, find a good one that will do it right. I‘m having mine done this spring by a shop that is owned by a guy I’ve known for 25 years. I’ve already talked to him about it and he’s done several active exhaust Mustangs so he knows the drill. He’ll wrap the wires in gorilla tape if I want him to as well. I‘m having the Steeda H pipe installed as an FYI. Several folks here recommend it over the X for the deeper tone.

Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ask the shop if they have done it before. If so, just make sure they are aware you have AE so they account for it. I took mine to a reputable shop and had no issues. I have the Steeda X on there now and love the sound but going to swap to the Steeda H just to see the difference.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Do we have any threads to reference regarding this issue, so when I install my steeda h pipe I can make sure I don't screw anything up?
@WD Pro has a good little write up on it if I recall.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Do we have any threads to reference regarding this issue, so when I install my steeda h pipe I can make sure I don't screw anything up?
The Steeda is as easy as it gets. I zip tied it in place and traced the cuts exactly where they needed to be. Entire process might have been 45 minutes from start to tools away and done.

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
The Steeda is as easy as it gets. I zip tied it in place and traced the cuts exactly where they needed to be. Entire process might have been 45 minutes from start to tools away and done.
You zip tied the h pipe to the stock exhaust and then just marked the spots based on that?
Sponsored