Replacing rear end need advice

Jrok1310

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
A while back i was having headers, exhaust, etc installed on my 15 auto and the shop noticed that the rear end was grinding when pulling it in and out of the bay. Told me they checked it out and the rear end was starting to go. Had it checked out again at another shop where im friends with the gm and he told me the same thing. So looking in to replacing the rear end and just beefing it up in general. So far im looking at obviously getting the new loaded housing, as well as upgrading to the gt350 axles, going to 3.73 gears, bmr diff bushings and wheel hop kit.
A. Is there anything above that either is missing that i definitely should do while everything is dropped and apart or anything that i shouldnt have to worry about.
B. Do i need to get an install kit for the new gears or am i able to have all the seals, bearings, etc taken from the 3.55s that come in the housing changed over? Im not an expert on the stuff so sorry if that sounds stupid to anyone else.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A while back i was having headers, exhaust, etc installed on my 15 auto and the shop noticed that the rear end was grinding when pulling it in and out of the bay. Told me they checked it out and the rear end was starting to go. Had it checked out again at another shop where im friends with the gm and he told me the same thing. So looking in to replacing the rear end and just beefing it up in general. So far im looking at obviously getting the new loaded housing, as well as upgrading to the gt350 axles, going to 3.73 gears, bmr diff bushings and wheel hop kit.
A. Is there anything above that either is missing that i definitely should do while everything is dropped and apart or anything that i shouldnt have to worry about.
B. Do i need to get an install kit for the new gears or am i able to have all the seals, bearings, etc taken from the 3.55s that come in the housing changed over? Im not an expert on the stuff so sorry if that sounds stupid to anyone else.
If you’re looking into a complete Ford Performance rear diff pumpkin, you don’t need a gear install kit. You would be receiving a brand new, loaded and sealed pumpkin - just remove your old, install new, fill it with diff fluid and plug axles in...

The Ford Performance rear diff is the best bang for the buck in the long run and you’re not having to deal with gear install or setting pinion, lash, etc.

Do be sure that you get the correct rear diff, meaning if you have a manual transmission you need the one that has the pinion flange for a MT82 manual trans (and if auto trans, you would need the one that has the pinion flange for an auto trans).

If you’re doing the rear as you are, don’t skimp... get new rear wheel bearings too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jrok1310

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you’re looking into a complete Ford Performance rear diff pumpkin, you don’t need a gear install kit. You would be receiving a brand new, loaded and sealed pumpkin - just remove your old, install new, fill it with diff fluid and plug axles in...

The Ford Performance rear diff is the best bang for the buck in the long run and you’re not having to deal with bear install or setting pinion, lash, etc.

Do be sure that you get the correct rear diff, meaning if you have a manual transmission you need the one that has the pinion flange for a MT82 manual trans (and if auto trans, you would need the one that has the pinion flange for an auto trans).

If you’re doing the rear as you are, don’t skimp... get new rear wheel bearings too.
Awesome thank you adding wheel bearings to the list.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This may be a stupid question, but if I wanted to swap my 3.55 clutch-type diff for the 3.73 Torsen that you're getting in the US and we're denied in Europe, would it be enough to replace just the differential? Is the final drive ratio an intrinsic property of the diff itself? Or would I end up with a 3.55 Torsen unless I also replaced the gears?

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Vlad Soare - separate items. So long as you buy the right kit, the gear and / or diff can be swapped individually. The fitting kit is also required :

F8-A99-A0-B-0340-4824-A3-FD-2-CFBF3550-FF5.jpg

WD :like:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, and as far as I understand, while the diff itself is easy to replace and more or less plug & play, changing the gears isn't for the faint of heart. So I was hoping to avoid that. I was hoping that changing them would be necessary only if you wanted non-standard ratios, like 4.09, but not if you stuck to standard, factory ratios.
But I guess that's not the case, is it? Replacing just the diff would leave me with the same 3.55 ratio that I have now, wouldn't it?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but you would still need the fitting kit and I think you would have to set the backlash anyway as you are replacing the part the ring gear bolts too (introducing a different / new part with ‘potentially’ a different tolerance).

WD :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You would need the torsen diff and 3.73 gears to change the ratio. If you only got the diff you would have to swap your gears onto it.

Easiest way to do this is to buy a loaded 3rd member or pumpkin. That way all you are replacing is the center section. Too many ways to describe the same thing.

They come up on this forum quite often. Shipping will be expensive.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
You would need the torsen diff and 3.73 gears to change the ratio. If you only got the diff you would have to swap your gears onto it.

Easiest way to do this is to buy a loaded 3rd member or pumpkin. That way all you are replacing is the center section. Too many ways to describe the same thing.

They come up on this forum quite often. Shipping will be expensive.
If you are changing your ratio you will have to figure out how you will correct for your speedometer reading .
Sponsored