Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
not sure how to find build date
not sharing names of engine builders
On a Sunday afternoon drive with the oil level normal, no loss of pressure, excess oil temp or anything else out of the normal, engine starting a light ticking noise at 45 mph in 5th gear and gradually started to get louder. Check engine light came on. Stopped driving it within 5 miles, called roadside assistance, and it was towed straight to Ford. On Monday Ford found a lot of metal in the oil and authorized a new engine immediately. New engine arrived Wednesday and I had the car back on Friday. 6 day turnaround on a engine replacement and car has been fine in the 600 miles put on it since. The original engine did not burn any oil.
Check driver's door jam sticker for build date. How many miles on your original motor?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Does it take yours a long time to get up to temp though? I've actually always thought the opposite. Maybe it just perspective, but after I've driven for less than 10 mins the oil is up to 65-75 degrees C* (88*C FYI is when redline is allowed to reach 8250 over the initial 8000 rpm ceiling). I've always thought that this was warming up quite fast?

I know that with my CLA45, oil temp. didn't turn from blue to white (ok to use race start) until it hit 85 degrees C*, but it would sometimes take a half hour to reach that. On cooler days it sometimes never reached that unless you actively tried putting some medium load on the engine and getting it working.
Yes, it can take a little bit. Putting the engine under load but not high-rpm helps get it up to temp faster. Also should mention that I remember a few people having trouble with what was referred to as an oil thermostat - it would stick open, causing the oil temp to be very slow to rise. At the time, it was just 16s that were out so I don't know if this issue persisted.

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
6 day turnaround on a engine replacement and car has been fine in the 600 miles put on it since.
Your dealer did a good job. I am at day #66 and I haven’t gotten the car back.

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
Ok..here is the link to the spreadsheet file. There are two Tabs at the bottom, one for A/C issues and one for engine failures/replacement. I will slowly add more info from other forums and possible another tab just for oil consumption.

I only added member info to the spreadsheet if they actually had the problem. I did not include "I heard 5 motors blown at so and so"...these are NOT included.
I assume info on the forums are public. If any member wishes to be omitted from the spreadsheet, please PM me.

If owners with blown engines would also report their engine builders and vehicle build date, I will add that info into the spreadsheet. Not blaming the builders, but trying to create a comprehensive spreedsheet with as much info as possible. These are the data I'm trying to gather:

Vehicle Build date
Engine Builders
Mileage when motor issue occurred
Nature of issue
Resolution provided by Ford

LINK TO SPREADSHEET BELOW:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OAo0VezzcZEOoaKeS1SyE15uS8osi0zJ_mOuxQSaATw
Much thanks 300BlackOut for taking the time out to gather and put all this data together. Being one of the guys on this list, it's helpful to me to see what the possible causes are with the others that are also having problems.

Just wanted to complete the data that you're tracking:

Vehicle Build date: May 2017

Chassis: H4505

Engine Builders: Jeff Hamblin (I can't make out the other signature, looks like "Adam Stu" or "Adam Stein")

Mileage when motor issue occurred: Started around 4300 miles

Current Milage: 7706

Nature of issue: Excessive oil consumption, 2qts in 545 miles

Resolution provided by Ford: New engine approved, delivered to local dealership after 30 days of dropping my car into the shop. They will do the swap mid week

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
66+ days? Ouch, I'm sorry you're being put on hold so long, what is causing the delay in your case?
I’ve been given a few plausible excuses, but nothing that would amount to this much delay. They did have another engine to replace before mine, but that was the case 2 months ago. Ford did not hassle on warranty/claim, engine showed up to dealership in an expedient manner so the problem is just this specific dealer.

This is my first Ford, I paid cash for it. I first had a failed splitter install that went bad at highway speeds (if a part of it would have caught tires... ugh) and now this. Ford design/instruction failures coupled with poor dealership service. It’s certainly not confidence inspiring. That said, the car is fun when she isn’t having troubles. Maybe AC is next or body panels? Part of me just wants to eat the depreciation and sell it. So if anyone is looking for a 2016 tech pack with under 10k miles in the Washington DC area!

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Thats awful. I would be pulling my hair out!

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Check driver's door jam sticker for build date. How many miles on your original motor?
Ok. I’ll check the door jam sticker when I get home this evening. Original motor had 1,830 miles on it when it gave out.

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
Much thanks 300BlackOut for taking the time out to gather and put all this data together. Being one of the guys on this list, it's helpful to me to see what the possible causes are with the others that are also having problems.

Just wanted to complete the data that you're tracking:

Vehicle Build date: May 2017

Chassis: H4505

Engine Builders: Jeff Hamblin (I can't make out the other signature, looks like "Adam Stu" or "Adam Stein")

Mileage when motor issue occurred: Started around 4300 miles

Current Milage: 7706

Nature of issue: Excessive oil consumption, 2qts in 545 miles

Resolution provided by Ford: New engine approved, delivered to local dealership after 30 days of dropping my car into the shop. They will do the swap mid week
Thank you, and thank you for providing the engine builders' names. Some are reluctant to give out this info and I kind of understand their reservations about sharing too much info. My take on this is that is a very important piece of information along with build date. We're not throwing anyone under the bus. We're not making assumptions that it is nor isn't their faults. However, they are part of the equation. We ar simply gathering facts, not making assumptions. If a pattern develops then we're on to something. If it doesn't..well again we're only data gathering.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
When are they usually announced?
17s were available in April. 18s, IRRC were more toward Jul-Aug, but the announcement of when the order banks would open was made ahead of time. In this case (2019), nothing yet. Could be waiting to align it with the GT500 or maybe trying to address an issue. Just speculation, obviously.

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
Thank you, and thank you for providing the engine builders' names. Some are reluctant to give out this info and I kind of understand their reservations about sharing too much info. My take on this is that is a very important piece of information along with build date. We're not throwing anyone under the bus. We're not making assumptions that it is nor isn't their faults. However, they are part of the equation. We ar simply gathering facts, not making assumptions. If a pattern develops then we're on to something. If it doesn't..well again we're only data gathering.
Agreed, by no means am I even hinting at any fault of the engine builders, I have great respect for their knowledge and trade, and am sure that each one of them takes great pride and satisfaction in what they do. I'm sharing simply to help aid in the collection of data. I wouldn't be surprised that some the faults could be due to the manufacturing process and not at any fault of the engine builders. I do hope that I get my car back in top shape soon, it's been 4 weeks and 1 day since I dropped it off to my local Ford shop.

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
Number 8 on the list "Relak" Lol, but ya, chunks of metal found in oil. Replaced motor at 7k miles, fought with Ford to get it bought back, ended up getting a replacement vehicle in Oct. 2017.

I dont think it has anything to do with the builders but everything to do with the Oil Pump Gears. Ford likely doesn't want people knowing so they don't have to recall and replace EVERY engine from 2015-2017. I think they're hoping some engines make it past 36K miles and then it's on the owner to foot the $30k for a new engine replacement. Just glad I got the 7yr/100k factory warranty so I don't have to worry about that on the back end.

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
Lemon laws in most states say that if the car has been in the shop or out of service for X amount of days since ownership started, then its a lemon. That's the route I took since mine was in the shop for almost 3 months (non-consecutively)