Rental GT, Driver induced oscillation?

CaliforniaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Factory Five Cobra
I have been fortunate to rent a 2018 GT 2-3 days a week for the last 2 months. I must say, I have been thoroughly impressed with the vehicle, so much so that I intend to buy one! The one thing I am having trouble with is the accelerator and my tendency to cause the car to buck/ jump when I stomp on the gas. It's not that I am not used to a high performance car, (I own and occasionally race a Factory Five cobra kit car, it has a Boss 427 with 535 HP and I never have this happen in that car and I drive it really hard) I think it's my foot/heel/leg placement but even when I concentrate upon acceleration, I guess my leg is pulling back enough to cut throttle abruptly and then rebounds back forward causing a terrible DIO!. How should my leg be oriented in this car to mitigate?

Other questions: Why does traction control still seem to engage even when I have it turned off?

Should I hear a difference in exhaust note at idle when in track mode?
What mode makes the transmission shift the hardest? Can it bark the tires on shifts? (10 spd)

I have rented 3 different 2018 GT's, one seemed more power full than the other two (all identically configured cars save for color) Does the engine output vary on these?

Since it's a rental, everyone just puts 87 octane, and I noticed moderate to heavy pinging, is detonation an issue to be concerned with? (I am considering buying one of the rentals) (yes I know people beat on them, I sure do, but their quite cheap)
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’m not sure if what you were experiencing is related to a recent Ford Customer Service Satisfaction Program for some 2018’s to replace the throttle bodies (attached), or something entirely unrelated.
A53BA9CF-7E6D-4244-8685-15FDAA805650.jpeg

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think I have a similar issue going on. At first I was wondering if my throttle body or gas pedal sensor was "spiky", but I think it's my own big fat feet accidentally causing unintended throttle pedal motion...especially when I am on a bumpy road, or when the car makes a hard shift. I would also describe it as a forward-back-forward lurching sensation. It's mostly filtered out in normal driving mode, but it can be a real problem in sport or track mode.

As to your other questions, the car probably shifts hardest in track or drag race mode.

All stock GTs should have basically the same power output, but there is a choice of 3.15 or 3.55 gear ratio, which may affect how quick the car gets off the line.

I put 93 octane in mine and have never heard it ping. Don't know about 87 since I've never tried it.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Drag mode will give you the best straight line acceleration. The only way to completely disable the nannies is to pull the plug under the hood. Yes with MP4S tires at recommended pressures on a warm day I can get it to cut loose in the 1st 3 gears in drag mode. Mine is a PP1 with 3.55 rear end.

I dont have accelerator issues sorry cant help there.

I do notice sluggishness on 87 but not pinging.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I dont know if its the same thing but I have had a similar issue when moving from a stop. If I pull away slowly or stomp on it, no problem, but if its somewhere in the middle it sometimes seems to lurch till I increase or decrease throttle input.

Sponsored

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
Only thing I know that has yet to be mentioned is the traction control issue. Put the car in track mode, then hold up on the traction control toggle switch for about 8 seconds. You should get a message that advanced traction controls has been disabled.

Going into track mode alone is not enough. Sure you can start pulling harnesses, fuses...etc however I have had no issues using the above method.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Concerning the difference in performance that you noted, I wouldn't assume identical configuration. Verify the rear gear ratio to be sure. The 3:55 will be livelier than the 3:15 by some margin. Also I wouldn't assume what type of fuel is in the tank. The only way to be sure is to know what you put in it.
So, how good of a deal is being offered on those anyway?

OP
OP

CaliforniaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Factory Five Cobra
So I have now rented at least 5 different 18 GT’s, today they gave me a convertible. Here are some of my impressions.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the throttle lurch is due to my foot/leg/seat positioning. If I pay close attn and anchor my heel and make hinge point as it were, i can eliminate/ mitigate the ruh ruh ruh effect

I think the performance/power differences i noticed is likely gearing as noted by others above.

I really like driving this car, such good manners as a daily driver, incredible power, when needed, well designed, not overly complex controls.

I have not noticed any engine ticking yet, mind you all of the cars I’ve driven have less than 15k miles. Should I listen at idle? Would i need to be outside the car? Could the active exhaust valve be causing this?

pic is of last weeks rental

Today i have the convertible- I cant believe they Rent the GT’s...

Thank you so much for the traction control disable tip, will try it today (wish me luck!!)

I dont know yet what they will sell the 2018 for, they dont sell them until they get at least 15k miles on them and they were a bit cagey on giving me a price, but I did see some 2017 GT’s sell for 25k
ADB6B302-C8E3-48B7-B212-5BD0AB194232.jpeg
Sponsored