Rental Car Stories

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I thought this might be a fun topic. What are some of your rental car stories? Are they funny, sad, indifferent? Post below.

Here are my two rental car stories:

1. Last year an off duty police officer totaled my 2017 Mustang. Traffic on the highway was stopped and this fool wasn't paying attention and ran into me at over 60mph. His insurance company set up a rental car for me, unfortunately at the time rental cars were nearly impossible to get, so I was actually out of a car for a week. When one became available it turned out it was a Dodge Rebel. I have never been a truck guy but I have to admit it was fun - though extraordinarily impractical. It had off-roading tires, it was super loud and bumpy on the highway :cwl: Anyway, I only had the truck for three days before the insurance company took it away from me due to their offer policy - I wasn't too happy about that.

2. My current 2021 Mustang is in the shop for warranty transmission work. It has awful, awful, awful downshifts. So Ford sets up a rental for me - I get there there is nobody in this building and the rental company offer to give me a non-Ford car and was willing to lie to Ford about not having any other cars available (which apparently is against Ford's policy with them?) or I could wait 15 minutes for a Mustang. So I decide to wait for the Mustang - in the mean time like 20 people come in dropping cars off, waiting just like me, etc and it just becomes chaos. Its finally my turn and they bring me out to a 2019 Convertible Mustang. The car. Yikes. They say they cleaned it (by which I mean they hosed it down for a few seconds and called it good) but it was one of the dirtiest cars on the outside I have ever seen. I look around the car for scratches, dents and paint chips, this whole thing was a mess. We get done with the inspection and I go about my business. When I get home I pop the hood - to discover a very dirty engine bay, caked on dirt and smelled like antifreeze. Oh, the coolant reservoir was very low (but stable!).

Driving this car was also interesting. I am sure it was only on regular gas (I use premium in my own) and you can tell it was down on power. The engine was also a little rough...not in engine note or smoothness, but it was almost like an engine mount was loose or something like that. The transmission is hands down better than mine, much smoother than mine, it still had a little "bump" for a downshift before coming to a stop, but not anywhere near as bad as mine (which feels like I am getting kicked in the back) are all 10speed automatics this bad? The steering wheel was not centered, it was cocked to the right a little but at least the car tracks true. Speaking of steering, this thing UNDERSTEERS massively. I am not sure if its because its a convertible or not, but it pushes through all turns. The suspension I think was shot. When the car would hit a bump it would unbalance the whole car and the car would also shake side to side. Having the roof down was super fun, I really enjoyed that. But putting the roof back up was a little annoying, when you would roll up the windows, the rear seat windows would never fully go back into the proper place and you would have to manually push them into position :cwl: This car only have 50k miles on it and those were a very hard 50k miles. I feel bad for the car 😢

So what rental cars stories can you share?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Had some buddies years ago who were doing the drags by Bristol Speedway. They went to go check out the track and to there surprise they could drive right in to the infield. They decided it would be fun and a good idea to make a few laps in there four door rental car. Of course security made an appearance when they started doing hot laps. They were flagged down to get thrown off the track but not before they rolled 3 of the 4 tires off the rims going in to turn 3. They were all laughing so hard about the tires(security included) that they actually helped them get the tires aired back up and on the beads. :giggle:

Had another friend that had an econobox for a rental while his car was in the body shop. He decided to try and duplicate a dukes of hazard stunt. Completely screwed the front end up, blew all the air bags, and tripped the fuel cutoff. I was really surprised he didn’t actually blow out the front tires. He had the nerve to return it to the rental company and ask for another car.

Last edited:

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Old school: Nitrous + rental car. early 2000s classic...

Sponsored