Sponsored

Anyone here purchased a former rental car?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah - I know all the comments that are coming. Car isn't for me. The person has made their mind up they want a '15-17 EB Premium Convertible with Auto.

I've been looking everywhere for the last couple of days and I've run across ONE car on a dealer lot that wasn't a former rental car. Of course it's the color they don't happen to really want (red). I've even moved the search range out to 200 miles - everything (When a Carfax is run) comes back as a former rental car.

At this point I'm thinking about talking with a fairly local dealership (They have (4) configured this way all with 20-25k miles) and seeing where the price would be with a 100K Ford Powertrain warranty.

Post saying "Buy a GT" are simply wasting their breadth. For the price difference - pushing a used car into the $32k and up range (premium) the Mustang stops being the preferred car.

'17 EB Premium convertibles are running around $24K. Drivetrain will not be modded.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I used to travel 100% of the time for work. I had a new rental car every week. I would never buy a rental car. I know that I beat the hell out of them, and I image others do the same.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I rented a 2016 Mustang GT a few years ago. I was not kind to that car. I don't think many of the previous renters were either. At 5000 miles, the rear end was already whining. It did lead me to buy my own S550 because I liked the car.
I think buying a rental car is a bad decision.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Yes, the saying that buying a rental car is like marrying a prostitute is true. I brought an 09 Mustang convertible back in 09 and found out after the fact that it had been a rental. The car drove ok but was filled with rattles and squeaks. I let it go soon after.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i doubt anyone who rents a mustang is babying it.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Back around '91 I bought a mini van that was a rental. The alternator died and I took it in to the dealership (stranded on the side of the interstate out of town, no choice) and the mechanic picked up on a slight knock and told me the engine needed replacing. I never heard it. Told him the warranty was long expired and I don't have the money to do it now. We got another 75,000 miles before it finally gave up that rod.
But I believe it was due to it being run hard early in it's life. I'd never buy another rental car after that experience.

slicknick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 mustang
me and the wife bought a 2016 expedition w/3.5 EB that was a rental. had it for over a year now with no problems so far. got a deal on it is why we bought it. I would buy again. definitely wouldn't pay retail for a former rental. even buying used a vehicle with one owner how do you know that person didn't drive it like a retard all the time too??

Last edited:
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've been around cars and the car business for going on 30 years. Yeah I get it - rental cars are routinely beat on. Thing is - I simply can't find what she wants without it being a former rental car.

I've gone out to 500 miles from our area. All former rental cars when I run them through CarFax.

'15-17 EB Premium Convertible with Auto. At this point going to look at a dealership that has 4 of them, 4 different color, all comparable mileage (under 30K), all 2017 models. All of them around $24K.

A new EB Premium (heated / cooled seats are a deal breaker) convertible - cheapest offer I've gotten is a right at $11K MORE than a used '17.

If the car is nice, and she likes it (her money after all), I can convince her to purchase a 6 year, 125k mile FORD Premium Car warranty from Flood Ford for about $1200.

Car's drivetrain will not be modded - so there is that.

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
I work at enterprise rent a car, i have also purchased a former rental. I had good luck with the chrysler 300 i purchased. Car ran fine and was in good shape. I would advise not to purchase a sports car that was a rental tho because from my experience they get abused by customers and employees. Plus we are always replacing worn rear tires from burnouts on camaros, challengers, chargers and mustangs.

Sponsored

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Have you tried looking at Carvana or one of the similar retailers? Or go through Carmax who has nationwide network of dealers? If you can find a good one from a different part of the country and have them ship it in, why not?

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried looking at Carvana or one of the similar retailers? Or go through Carmax who has nationwide network of dealers? If you can find a good one from a different part of the country and have them ship it in, why not?
Every one of Carvana's that meet the requirements (Color etc) are former rentals - AS are Carmax's inventory - even their extended inventory where they charge up to $900 to transfer to a local Carmax.

And every one of those is a higher price than the (4) here at a Ford Dealer fairly close.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My mom bought a minivan from Enterprise. Glad she got an extended warranty because the transmission went out before 60K. I don't think it was because it was a rental, though. Car was in great shape.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You should be very proud of yourself.
Meh, what do you expect a young engineer to do when he has spare time and a retired road course all to himself? When my company rented the track for fuels testing in tractor trailers, we paid for the entire facility. That included the inner road course. While the truck drivers built up miles for our testing, I played in my rental cars. Never broke anything, but the cars got a good workout.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I did buy a former rental car back in 2003. Owned it for 10 years and almost 100k miles before selling it. Was a good car with very little problems, a 2002 Taurus. Not exciting, but reliable.
Sponsored