Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Damn, that blows. My car is almost perfect, which is likely only because it was a quality control pull on a Friday evening. I have a factory sign off on the bottom of the steering rack with someone's badge number and a time. Proof they do QC...sometimes. Of course my car was made pre covid so who knows what's happened since.
Both my cars were pre-covid and both had QC issues. One was bought back over it. Both were custom ordered cars. So I think it's really hit or miss.
Sponsored

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I bought my '20 GT last February and had my FPP installed that following May after getting it from Levittown Ford during the initial offering.

My Mustang is not my daily driver. I have only driven it some 5,6xx miles. However, it's been an excellent driver and I have been very pleased with the FPP kit. I would purchased and install the said again without any hesitation.

Be safe and enjoy!

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
All set and installed, they did a nice clean cut on my cover and also I removed the plastic screws on the wire retainers so they could properly lock on the CAI screws.

I also had some sheets of adhesive black felt laying around so I just cut a few pieces to cover up the slightly open areas where the CAI housing faces the fender.

DSC_4231.JPG

DSC_4235.JPG

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
So what is the trick to lower intake temps while stopped? Cruising temps are ok ~4F above ambient but man while stopped they shoot up to 40F or 50F above ambient. That has got to be causing some power loss at takeoff. Its not even summertime yet, I wanted to get this fixed before I start using the a/c and getting some real heat soak.

I have the side foam installed and took my time with the filter snorkel to make sure it was mated up with the grill snorkel.

I still have not drilled out the extra honeycomb holes does that make a big difference?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So what is the trick to lower intake temps while stopped? Cruising temps are ok ~4F above ambient but man while stopped they shoot up to 40F or 50F above ambient. That has got to be causing some power loss at takeoff. Its not even summertime yet, I wanted to get this fixed before I start using the a/c and getting some real heat soak.

I have the side foam installed and took my time with the filter snorkel to make sure it was mated up with the grill snorkel.

I still have not drilled out the extra honeycomb holes does that make a big difference?
What were your intake temperatures sitting still when you were using the stock airbox? It doesn't sound terribly high to me. I know my stock air intake temps go up sitting still. It's simply thermal dynamics at work.

Looking at the drivers side hood vent, this now becomes a second air intake source when sitting still correct? I would think having a black car in the sun, with this vent now drawing hot air off the hood can add to the intake temperature. Another thing is how well does that weather stripping seal to the hood liner? Is it allowing hot air into the box from under the hood? Just some theories.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I've read so many reviews on this.........for the money I think I'm going to try 4.09 gears for my '19 6 speed first......I can get those done for @ $700. If that doesn't do it - then I'll bit the bullet. I really want a E85 / Flex tune but not enough E85 around me to do it.
Im in the same situation. I'd love an e85 tune but there is none within 1hr of me.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Im in the same situation. I'd love an e85 tune but there is none within 1hr of me.
Well my situation isn't THAT bad. There are two E85 stations near me. One is on the opposite site of town where I live / work. The other is 30 minutes South of me. Still not real practical. I'm no tuner, but I have discussed the 18+ Mustangs with a couple experienced tuners and both of them agreed there wasn't a whole lot left on table by Ford - just from the tune - they agreed that with a 6 speed car, without accompanying upgrades (headers etc) in their opinion a tune only without going E85 wasn't really the best $ for power route. However they did note that most people they deal with seem to be concerned with dyno numbers and not power / torque improvements in the low to mid RPMs. When I talked about switching to 4.09 gears, one of them said he'd be willing to bet that $ for $ that would be a HUGE improvement in daily driving.

Since the 18+ needs (4) HP Tuner credits, It's right at $500 to get the HP Tuner MPVi2 and the needed credits. That would allow me to change max gear ratio for the gears, another $700 or so to get the 4.09 gears installed (be pulling the rear and taking it and gears for install). Benefit to that - if and when I do get tuned, I've already got the device.

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
What were your intake temperatures sitting still when you were using the stock airbox? It doesn't sound terribly high to me. I know my stock air intake temps go up sitting still. It's simply thermal dynamics at work.

Looking at the drivers side hood vent, this now becomes a second air intake source when sitting still correct? I would think having a black car in the sun, with this vent now drawing hot air off the hood can add to the intake temperature. Another thing is how well does that weather stripping seal to the hood liner? Is it allowing hot air into the box from under the hood? Just some theories.
I mean the temps always went up when sitting still with stock intake but I don't remember them going up 50 degrees ever. On the way home yesterday it was 74 out and at the red light I hit 122. That was without a/c. I can't imagine when it starts to really warm up soon.

I'm not sure the hood vent lines up to act like an intake. I also don't think the filter box seals good against the hood liner. I'm going to play around with it over the weekend and see if I can improve some things.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know months ago in this thread we spoke about inlet temps. And they increased very high while sitting at idle with new CAI. I dont think anyone has come up with an idea to fix it. Besides the normal sealing off the CAI box gaps. When you start driving again the temp drops big time though. I wonder if I could retrofit a top cover for the CAI. Been thinking about that, like a clear hard plastic, with hinges to open and close??? If anyone has done that let us know. .. would that even help though?

Sponsored

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Also. I think Ford fixed the packaging, correct? When the 18+kit first came out many of us didnt recieve the air inlet tube. I had no idea and installed with out, so the temps were crazy. FORD eventually sent us the part though.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Also. I think Ford fixed the packaging, correct? When the 18+kit first came out many of us didnt recieve the air inlet tube. I had no idea and installed with out, so the temps were crazy. FORD eventually sent us the part though.
Correct, the kit I got recently came with the inlet tube that leads into the area behind the front bumper.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I know months ago in this thread we spoke about inlet temps. And they increased very high while sitting at idle with new CAI. I dont think anyone has come up with an idea to fix it. Besides the normal sealing off the CAI box gaps. When you start driving again the temp drops big time though. I wonder if I could retrofit a top cover for the CAI. Been thinking about that, like a clear hard plastic, with hinges to open and close??? If anyone has done that let us know. .. would that even help though?
Higher iats are a common side effect of an open cai. Sealed stock box keeps them down.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The OEM box heats up as well. When I got my car last summer IATs would hit 120+ when outside temps were in the low 80s as well with the stock airbox. Also my box seals real good against the hood liner. Look at the outline formed on the liner, seals real good.

IMG_20210312_095116939.jpg

IMG_20210312_095126603.jpg

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A bullitt owner purchased a gt500 airbox and used that. Could be worth looking into.
Sponsored