Lgarretto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Hi guys
Well my first question I have here is as such.
I am considering the pedders coilovers kit. $1300 isnt terrible I figure. But I'll admit the only reason I want coilovers over springs is because it seems as though the amount of drop attainable with springs on an S550 seems to be minimal at most. And while I live in Oklahoma which has possibly the worst roads on the planet i'd like a good 2 inches. Maybe more. Springs won't go that far. As far as I can tell anyway.
So my question is, with a coilovers swap are things such as sway bars necessary? I may end up also looking at a cradle lockout but I don't race. At least not now. So for now a little better handling and better looks are my main goal.
Thank yall. I appreciate any info you have
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No you don't *need* anything else. Should you get a few other supporting mods? Probably. But none of those are a requirement. Most coilover kits come complete to install as is just make sure you get the ones with adjustable camber plates and not just the plain top mount. You'll need to adjust camber when lowered that much.

The only thing that you should absolutely get is a bumpsteer kit from Steeda, that helps tremendously with driveability of lowered cars.

OP
OP

Lgarretto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Yes the adjustable camber plates are included with the kit I am considering. I just wanted to see how important some other pieces not included would be. Things can start snowballing and add up fast. Frankly I don't have the money to replace the whole underside of my car lol

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
since apparently 'looks' is your primary criteria rather than performance or handling, you don't need anything else. But if you want more than just a cheap slam, you'll want a better class of damper and roll-center correcting lateral arms from eg. Steeda.

OP
OP

Lgarretto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Yes. I would be happy so long as the performance equals my stock pp. I've never been on a track. I'm not sure where one is even in Oklahoma. I think there's one up Tulsa way. Not around me though. This car is just my daily.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I would be happy so long as the performance equals my stock pp. I've never been on a track. I'm not sure where one is even in Oklahoma. I think there's one up Tulsa way. Not around me though. This car is just my daily.
you are aware Bilstein has a kit that drops 50mm? get the B16 package.
https://performance.bilstein.com/en/products/bilstein-b16/
https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-48-253901-s550-suspension-kit

and get the roll-center correcting arms and the other chassis fixes.

OP
OP

Lgarretto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
I am. But, correct me if I am wrong, I believe the pedders kit I am looking at is $500 cheaper and drops more anyway.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the pedders kit I am looking at is $500 cheaper
and 10x shit. Are you really kvetching over 5mm? If you want low, just cut a coil off your current springs. Or bag the car that way you can look all slammed while parked and not have total crap at speed.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Very good ride on my Bilstein b16 and you can get them for around $1600 at Rockauto. However you’ll also need to buy separate camber plates, if you want.

OP
OP

Lgarretto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Well if that's how it is then that's how it is. Including everything it nearly doubles the cost of the pedders kit. But I'll think on it. Who knows, maybe I'll start tracking the car one day.
I appreciate yalls input.

Sponsored

SMUAlien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
and 10x shit. Are you really kvetching over 5mm? If you want low, just cut a coil off your current springs. Or bag the car that way you can look all slammed while parked and not have total crap at speed.
Is the Peddars Kit not good? I've been eyeballing it as well. I could certainly "spring" for something a bit more expensive if it's really worth it. I'm not looking to slam the car more than an 1" to 1.25", I just want a nice upgrade from the floaty feeling my base GT has with the Steeda progressives. I've already done the G-Trac brace and Strut tower bar. Thinking to also get the stop the hop kit for the rear.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Peddars Kit not good?
no it's not. but maybe I'm too much of a suspension snob.
I'm not looking to slam the car more than an 1" to 1.25", I just want a nice upgrade from the floaty feeling my base GT has with the Steeda progressives.
then get the FRPP Track dampers. Or the B6-series Bilsteins.

SMUAlien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
no it's not. but maybe I'm too much of a suspension snob.

then get the FRPP Track dampers. Or the B6-series Bilsteins.
Thanks! I'll look into these, do they allow adjustable ride height? The reason I ask is that I am getting a little bit of rubbing with the drop from the Steeda springs (but I do have 19x10, +40 offset 275/40/19 square). I've heard of the B6's, time to go find some.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
do they allow adjustable ride height?
negative on both options.
The reason I ask is that I am getting a little bit of rubbing with the drop from the Steeda spring
what camber are you running? Steeda sells 'preload' spacers for their springs and this might be a solution. I'm not a big fan of their Progressive springs and that was on my EB which has 200lb less in the nose.

SMUAlien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
negative on both options.

what camber are you running? Steeda sells 'preload' spacers for their springs and this might be a solution. I'm not a big fan of their Progressive springs and that was on my EB which has 200lb less in the nose.
Well, I am noobish/not knowledgeable. I don't know what camber I am running. I have adjustable castor/camber plates that were necessary in getting the alignment set after the install. I think I really need to just take this to a real performance shop (I installed this all with my friend during a Saturday beerathon). I followed an install guide and used the torque numbers I found online. It actually wasn't a bad install just took 4-5 hours. I even clocked all the bushings per the guidelines (car was level on ramps). After install I took it to a tire shop, the tech there had seen the adjustable camber plates and quickly got the car aligned.

Everything was fine for a year or so, then over the past few months I get rubbing. I can't locate it but I feel like it is front right.

I was considering just buying a good coil-over kit and taking it to a real shop to have someone do a pro install / setup on it.
Sponsored