Sponsored

recommended full synthetic engine oils

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
Hello, I was reading the supplemental manual and it says Mach 1 engine needs to meet the WSS-M2C961-A1 specs. So, I was searching what full synthetic oils would meet this spec. Obviously, the expensive and hard to find Motorcraft oil. I also found a Mobil 1 x1 5-30, which I think is also branded as Mobil 1 advance performance, which is also hard to find.

Since this engine is similar to the Bullitt, I wonder if former/current Bullitt owners would chime in and let us know what full synthetic oils they use. Otherwise, just stay with the Motorcraft synthetic blend and change the oil more often.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Hello, I was reading the supplemental manual and it says Mach 1 engine needs to meet the WSS-M2C961-A1 specs. So, I was searching what full synthetic oils would meet this spec. Obviously, the expensive and hard to find Motorcraft oil. I also found a Mobil 1 x1 5-30, which I think is also branded as Mobil 1 advance performance, which is also hard to find.

Since this engine is similar to the Bullitt, I wonder if former/current Bullitt owners would chime in and let us know what full synthetic oils they use. Otherwise, just stay with the Motorcraft synthetic blend and change the oil more often.
Is the motorcraft oil you’re saying is hard to find a full synthetic?
not sure if the bullitt guys will see this thread……maybe @Schwerin can answer this

OP
OP
OutWest

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure if the bullitt guys will see this thread……maybe @Schwerin can answer this
Yes, the full synthetic, not the synthetic blend. I believe that even Mobil 1 synthetic is no longer full synthetic

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467

Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 Fully Synthetic

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Less than $5 a quart.
This right here. Nothing else goes in my cars but this.

MakoShark

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost Fastback

As long as FORD WSS-M2C961-A1 is basically ILSAC GF-6, I think you can safely use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 which exceeds all the known factory requirements. It is not cheap, but If you are looking for the best Full Synthetic engine oil on the market like I do, AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 it is :)

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I didn't know Motorcraft full synthetic was hard to find.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I just use Motorcraft. Until someone somehow shows me a teardown and proves "oh hey this was clearly due to not using a full synth" I don't really care if something is full or semi. Long as it meets the specs needed for my warranty (while I have one) to be covered that's all I care about. After that, just run whatever you want. I've put 60+K on my last Mach1 using a German spec 0w-40 and beat the hell out of that engine. When the car was totaled we popped it open and looked, thing still looked new. Long as you're doing regular changes, you're not gonna have any issues.

Only time I've seen some kind of oil related issues were either a SUPER cheap brand, lack of changing it when you should, or running way to thin or heavy a weight.

To me the argument over full or semi is just "how much money do I feel like spending" Same with the Ford Performance Oil filter vs the Motorcraft.

OP
OP
OutWest

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know Motorcraft full synthetic was hard to find.
Yes. I was looking at Amazon and thought I got the full synthetic. Then, the reviews said it was false advertisement and it was actually selling the synthetic blend

Sponsored
OP
OP
OutWest

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just use Motorcraft. Until someone somehow shows me a teardown and proves "oh hey this was clearly due to not using a full synth" I don't really care if something is full or semi. Long as it meets the specs needed for my warranty (while I have one) to be covered that's all I care about. After that, just run whatever you want. I've put 60+K on my last Mach1 using a German spec 0w-40 and beat the hell out of that engine. When the car was totaled we popped it open and looked, thing still looked new. Long as you're doing regular changes, you're not gonna have any issues.

Only time I've seen some kind of oil related issues were either a SUPER cheap brand, lack of changing it when you should, or running way to thin or heavy a weight.

To me the argument over full or semi is just "how much money do I feel like spending" Same with the Ford Performance Oil filter vs the Motorcraft.
I agree. I was just checking out of curiosity if there was an full synthetic that is a great alternative to the Motorcraft synthetic blend, and that it did not cost that much more

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I agree. I was just checking out of curiosity if there was an full synthetic that is a great alternative to the Motorcraft synthetic blend, and that it did not cost that much more
Oddly enough the only test i saw for Amazon Basic Full syn gave it a good review.

Otherwise probably just best to get what ever Full syn is on sale when you need it.

Last edited:

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Pennzoil ultra platinum seems to be the best bang for the buck and that's what I use.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

This. Emphasis on the regular changes. People REALLY overthink engine oil.

Otherwise:
oil.jpg

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Less than $5 a quart.
If there's a "Runnings" near you, it's on sale, $24.9 for a 5 qt jug AND $10 rebate up to $40 total rebate.
I have 2 oil changes waiting on the shelf!
Sponsored