recommended warranty safe mods

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
What are the recommended mods that do not void warranty to do off the bat?

tires, ceramic coating are already on the list.

but what else would be beneficial to do, mostly for longevity or good bang for the buck things to do that won't void warranty right after the car gets in?
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
What are the recommended mods that do not void warranty to do off the bat?

tires, ceramic coating are already on the list.

but what else would be beneficial to do, mostly for longevity or good bang for the buck things to do that won't void warranty right after the car gets in?
Rear window louvers, oil catch can, and jacking rails for me. From what I understand, there are laws (here in the US) that prevent dealers from trying to blame failures on aftermarket mods unless there's a clear linkage between the mod and the failure. I have not experienced that challenge myself. Others may have more to say on the issue.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Rear window louvers, oil catch can, and jacking rails for me. From what I understand, there are laws (here in the US) that prevent dealers from trying to blame failures on aftermarket mods unless there's a clear linkage between the mod and the failure. I have not experienced that challenge myself. Others may have more to say on the issue.
is there a consensus on which catch can and jacking rails to go with?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
is there a consensus on which catch can and jacking rails to go with?
JLT catch cans work great for most people.
BMR or Steeda seem to be the standard go-to for rails

I will add light-weight wheels and suspension to the list as well.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
it’s very easy for the manufacturer to assign blame to your mod and then it’s on you to lawyer up and fight them. Yes technically they have to prove the mod caused the failure but Ford is going to win 99.9% of the time unless you have deep pockets and a lot of free time

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
it’s very easy for the manufacturer to assign blame to your mod and then it’s on you to lawyer up and fight them. Yes technically they have to prove the mod caused the failure but Ford is going to win 99.9% of the time unless you have deep pockets and a lot of free time
That's why I kept to known mods for my 2015 GT (e.g., Ford Performance Power Pack 2 for engine, installed by Ford at the 2018 Ford Nationals) while under warranty. I figured I'd do more after the warranty, but then the Mach 1 came along and now the 2015 is about to go away via Vroom. (Sad face. It's been a great car!)

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's why I kept to known mods for my 2015 GT (e.g., Ford Performance Power Pack 2 for engine, installed by Ford at the 2018 Ford Nationals) while under warranty. I figured I'd do more after the warranty, but then the Mach 1 came along and now the 2015 is about to go away via Vroom. (Sad face. It's been a great car!)
I’m going to do the Ford oil separator under the hood and that’s it. I’d be very very tempted to do a whipple if they could get it to fit under the brace. I believe steeda mentioned they were working on that or at least taking a look. But even then every time I went full throttle I’d be holding my breath that nothing breaks lol

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
any warranty safe stuff to clean up this mess:
1623445226753.png

maybe get it looking something closer to this (shamelessly stolen from elsewhere on the board)
1623445267693.png

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Not being flip - seriously asking - have you personally witnessed this scenario? I've heard this repeated over and over - but I've been around the car business and I'm close with people in the business and I've only personally witnessed or had related to me a few cases of power train warranty denial. All of them were ridiculous - meaning anyone who saw the situation would have said "of course they aren't going to warranty that........"

Now I HAVE witnessed and heard of certain DEALERS denying warranty coverage - well not really "denying" but telling customers that this issue was caused by aftermarket modifications and telling them things like "..odds are it won't be covered under warranty.." and the customer takes the car to a different dealer and it's covered - with no problems. I've also heard of customers just taking the first dealer at their word and paying for it - without ever checking with another dealer.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not being flip - seriously asking - have you personally witnessed this scenario? I've heard this repeated over and over - but I've been around the car business and I'm close with people in the business and I've only personally witnessed or had related to me a few cases of power train warranty denial. All of them were ridiculous - meaning anyone who saw the situation would have said "of course they aren't going to warranty that........"

Now I HAVE witnessed and heard of certain DEALERS denying warranty coverage - well not really "denying" but telling customers that this issue was caused by aftermarket modifications and telling them things like "..odds are it won't be covered under warranty.." and the customer takes the car to a different dealer and it's covered - with no problems. I've also heard of customers just taking the first dealer at their word and paying for it - without ever checking with another dealer.
I’ve seen it through Audi dealerships as well as through a friend that works at a gm dealer. With Audi, let’s say you load a tune. You take your car in for an oil change and they hook it up to upload some new software revision. There’s a counter that rolls over every time this happens. Each documented time a dealer does a revision update the counter should advance one place. If that counter is off by one place, due to you having loaded a tune and advanced it one time, it gets flagged in audis system and your powertrain warranty is gone. I very briefly considered tuning my s6 until talking to some of the guys at the dealer who said no matter how much they appreciate modded cars, there was no way around it even if they wanted to help. Audi corporate would deny any failure based on the tune alone. Is it right? No probably not. But it’s what is. And I don’t have the time or money to risk that failure, denial of warranty, and court fight. In fact any fight you put up will probably cost more than just fixing the car out of pocket. With Audi that red flag is in their system so you can’t just shop around to other dealers as well.
Sponsored