Sponsored

Received "damaged" parts, am I overreacting?

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
So the shipment box is one thing. That’s packed terribly. Especially for direct shipment from a ford parts location.

I can tell you for a fact that springs and sway bars arrive at Ford parts/dealers with zero packing at all. I ordered gt350r front and rear sway bars a few weeks ago and the paint was not ideal. But structurally everything was sound. But that is coming directly from ford with a lot of other inventory as well.

The main issue is that shipment box from the dealer to you. UPS/FedEx will throw that stuff around non stop until it gets to you.
Thanks, that kinda sucks that Ford does that.

Is it just springs and sway bars or would the K-brace and top brace / extension panel been shipped like that also? Those were in the box as well and rather banged up.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully you didn't order from Blue Oval Industries. I'd send back. Steeda is the vendor I always order suspension parts from & packing is meticulous.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
MEH, unless show car, MEH. the thing that bothers me, would worry me is the swap bar end having punched through the box, and no way of telling if it got tweaked , and the end layers pulling away from the crushed hollow tube. It is a hollow bar not like the old type solid bar, It could be tweaked. Yes the packing sucked, they have an asshat picking and packing, clearly.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Depending on the damage I'd do like 80foxcoup said or send it back.

Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
POR15 and those things will never rust. get the refinishing dollars and use that.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Thanks, that kinda sucks that Ford does that.

Is it just springs and sway bars or would the K-brace and top brace / extension panel been shipped like that also? Those were in the box as well and rather banged up.
most likely if it's a smaller stamped steel part. if structural integrity is effected then absolutely return them. DO NOT use it if thats the case. If it's just paint - take the credit and either get some powder coat or quick coat it yourself. Stuff gets used like that all the time and there's no problems with it.

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I drive and work in the LTL industry and frankly I'm not suprised. I more suprised if something arrives not damaged then it being damaged. You rarely see things packaged properly for shipment. If it is it has a fighting chance.If not forget about it. And even if it is,the abuse it takes along the way from forklifts,loaders,belts and transport,it's just a crapshoot at best.
This goes for ALL ground carriers!! Next day air/overnight is your best chance albeit ridiculously expensive.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Return to sender.
Such companies need to learn how to pack items properly.
I wouldn't even ever pack used parts privately that badly.

On the other hand, often (except for springs) it is only a " sale paint job", even with undamaged parts it is often a good option to have them coated properly (including zinc primer).
Get quoted a really good coating and see if they'll cover the cost.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You don't really know what they've been through to get to your place. I'd get an RMA number and ship them back, personally. I work hard for my money and I'm sure you do too...and that doesn't look like you got your money's worth.
100% agree. Maybe companies should oh I don't know... securely pack products in a way that they will be protected during shipping instead of just using one box for a bunch of stuff. Can easily poke a hole to the outside world and get damaged when a delivery person steps on it.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
It honestly looks used to me... but I can tell you from my experience working in logistics. The "small" package carriers are not very good at their job. When they load/unload their trucks they don't care at all about what is inside. Just just want to move the stuff and "get the job done"

The likes of UPS and Fedex charge more for larger heavier boxes for the sorts of things car guys buy.. But honestly, our parts should not be shipping that way. LTL (less than truck load) is a more suitable option BUT I will admit, delivery would be an issue.

Basically you gotta' hope that the college kid working the nightshift at the parcel company cares about his job.

Edit: That box looks really beat up with lots of empty space. Makes me think the parcel company destroyed the first box, repackages everything and sent it in this box.

Tb8983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for the replies. They seem to be divided between powder coating and returning.

I've never had anything powder coated before, but Google is showing there's a couple places within 30 minutes of me. I'm seeing discussion of prices around $100 for a wheel for a quality job. Total cost of these parts was around $750. Any chance it would not exceed 50% of the cost of the parts?

I'm hoping it doesn't come to this, but I always pay with a credit card to protect myself. I've purposefully avoided naming because I completely agree with you. Stuff happens and I give companies a chance to make it right.

FYI the vendor has offered return labels and is a 100% stand up guy. It's messed up that the manufacturer provided the parts in this condition.
I would put them on the car and run them. You're not gonna see them once installed. So get the cash for the refinish pocket it and move on. But I got my steeda sway bars, bmr k-member brace, IRS subframe connectors all powder coated orange for less then a 100 bucks. Powder is the way to go and shop around for a good powder coater

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
100% agree. Maybe companies should oh I don't know... securely pack products in a way that they will be protected during shipping instead of just using one box for a bunch of stuff. Can easily poke a hole to the outside world and get damaged when a delivery person steps on it.
They do it this way because unless you are amazon, shipping is costly.
And everyone wants free or almost free shipping.