Sponsored

Rear wheel bearings

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
At 54,000 miles, I’m thinking of replacing my rear differential seals. And while I’m there now would be a good time to replace the wheel bearings. I’m looking at the Ford performance IRS knuckle kit. Any thoughts on this kit?
Wheel bearings alone from Ford are about 340.00 the kit is 446.00
Seems like a no-brainer.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You're lucky you even were able to go 56k without having to replace the wheel hub bearings.... LOL. Yes, good time to replace them if you're doing other related work.

There's actually been M6G members on here who have had to have wheel hub replacements with as low as 3k miles - and in some instances, some M6G members had to have wheel hub bearings replaced 2-3x under warranty.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You're lucky you even were able to go 56k without having to replace the wheel hub bearings.... LOL. Yes, good time to replace them if you're doing other related work.

There's actually been M6G members on here who have had to have wheel hub replacements with as low as 3k miles - and in some instances, some M6G members had to have wheel hub bearings replaced 2-3x under warranty.
I had to replace my right rear wheel bearing hub with only 1000 miles on my 2019. My son has a 2017 and has replaced both rear with 35k miles.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I'm on set 3 of rear wheel bearings with 40,000 miles on my 18.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Are you guys talking about stock suspension? That's crazy low mileage for a bearing to fail. I could see problems if you've lowered the car or are running wheel spacers or something else to alter the stock geometry.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are you guys talking about stock suspension? That's crazy low mileage for a bearing to fail. I could see problems if you've lowered the car or are running wheel spacers or something else to alter the stock geometry.
Correct - many failures on stock suspension and low miles. There's quite a few older threads on here since the S550 inception of very low miles and premature wheel hub failures. Wheel hub failures have happened not just once, but some M6G members it's happened multiple times. Not sure who the supplier is to Ford, but they're junk hub assemblies.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
At 54,000 miles, I’m thinking of replacing my rear differential seals. And while I’m there now would be a good time to replace the wheel bearings. I’m looking at the Ford performance IRS knuckle kit. Any thoughts on this kit?
Seems like a no-brainer.

If the seals aren't leaking, why replace them? These cars aren't like BMWs where the diffs start leaking every half hour.

Rear wheel bearings / hubs are certainly worth checking since they seem to fail so often, mine were shot in 19,000 miles.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Seems like a no-brainer.
I would agree with you. The toe bearing, though not expensive, about $50 for the pair, is challenging to install and if you're not doing it yourself that will eat up any cost savings. I'd say go for it. Wonder if the wheel/hub bearings are an upgraded item or just stock?

OP
OP
MyStang

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The kit is from Ford Racing, so I would hope so.

OP
OP
MyStang

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If the seals aren't leaking, why replace them? These cars aren't like BMWs where the diffs start leaking every half hour.

Rear wheel bearings / hubs are certainly worth checking since they seem to fail so often, mine were shot in 19,000 miles.
The seals are showing signs of leaking. Not a steady drip just a discoloration on the differential near the seals.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If it's not broke don't fix it. I did have to replace my driver rear at 40k but only because the failed wheel bearing lit my dash up like a Christmas tree. People cause more issues that anything when they start replacing parts for the hell of it.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If it's not broke don't fix it. I did have to replace my driver rear at 40k but only because the failed wheel bearing lit my dash up like a Christmas tree. People cause more issues that anything when they start replacing parts for the hell of it.
The problem is they replace a Ford factory part with an O'Reilly special
Sponsored