Reaching PP2/Mach 1 Levels of Handling and Comfortability

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I have a base Mustang that I installed Ford Performance Track struts/shocks and springs onto, as well as the Steeda stop-the-hop kit. Aside from the tire setup, suspension-wise what can be done to get a GT to Mach1/PP2/GT350 levels of handling? A suspension setup that is capable of matching those while also not being overly harsh and comfortable enough for a daily driver for a non-magnaride setup. Is it possible?

Plan to upgrade sway bars and maybe swap the springs out for the BMR handling ones soon
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
A set of sway bars and wheels and tires from one of those 3 trim levels will get you about as close as you're going to get handling-wise without having the MR, but you won't have the same level of comfort. I went through this exercise with my 2018 GT before trading it in on the Mach.

OP
OP
NovaSayan

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
A set of sway bars and wheels and tires from one of those 3 trim levels will get you about as close as you're going to get handling-wise without having the MR, but you won't have the same level of comfort. I went through this exercise with my 2018 GT before trading it in on the Mach.
Ah of course, sad reality of things. Mach 1 is out of my price range, especially with the interest rates, perhaps when the rates go down it can be an option. How's the upgrade been for you to the Mach 1? I drove a non-handling package several months ago, forgot exactly how it felt but I remember the car feeling really composed but comfortable overall.

Happy with my pedders adjustable coilovers and wider, lighter aftermarket wheels with better tires
Have a link to the pedders suspension? I have a buddy who is trying to figure out what suspension to go for, he wants coilovers but I don't know that many coilover brands. I have heard pedders is good tho

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hey guys, I have a base Mustang that I installed Ford Performance Track struts/shocks and springs onto, as well as the Steeda stop-the-hop kit. Aside from the tire setup, suspension-wise what can be done to get a GT to Mach1/PP2/GT350 levels of handling? A suspension setup that is capable of matching those while also not being overly harsh and comfortable enough for a daily driver for a non-magnaride setup. Is it possible?

Plan to upgrade sway bars and maybe swap the springs out for the BMR handling ones soon
From my experience at autocross it is best to get a reputable kit -springs, shocks and swaybars rather than mix your own salad unless you really know what you do.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Ah of course, sad reality of things. Mach 1 is out of my price range, especially with the interest rates, perhaps when the rates go down it can be an option. How's the upgrade been for you to the Mach 1? I drove a non-handling package several months ago, forgot exactly how it felt but I remember the car feeling really composed but comfortable overall.
For me it was worth it because my GT didn’t have a lot of stuff that the Mach does like MR, active exhaust, Premium package, etc. The handling package does make a difference. For other folks who already have a loaded GT it might not make as much sense, especially if they want the automatic.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From my experience with the FP track handling kit on my 2017 and several years dailying a GT350 when the weather allowed, I would say on the street they have a similar feel, except the non magneride shocks have a more traditional feel to them that I prefer over the magneride tuning my GT350 had.

On track I noticed that the magneride controlled body motions significantly better than the FP track handling kit. On track I think magneride has an advantage for that reason.

Assuming the HP Mach and GT350 are somewhat similar based on their similar road course times, I think if your goal is track handling, you need stiffer springs and shocks to match the body control you get from magneride. Based on your post, I think street driving and comfort might be more important to you. I'd say good wheels and tires plus a performance alignment front and rear is probably all you need on top of the FP track handling kit. I'm using the adjustable sways from the FP track handling kit. I think they work well with it. Not sure why you'd want to pick something else.

Edit: oh, and you probably want the smallest diameter wheels you can fit over the brakes you plan to use. You'll get a better ride and better performance overall from 18 inch wheels if they fit, for example, rather than going to 19 or 20 inch wheels.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You've pretty much already done it. Other things you can do are to add a front sway bar, toe knuckle bearings, upgrading the front control arms and rear lower control arm, subframe bushing lockout... stuff like that. I've done almost everything there is. Always available for questions.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The beauty of magnaride is you can have your cake and eat it too with respect to the shocks. Buttery soft when the roads are flat and pretty well supported when cornering or changing directions. Normal shocks just cant do that.

Maybe the closest thing is getting adjustable shocks and deciding which type of ride you want that day before you set out. Only takes a couple minutes to change shock settings, but you do need a jack to access the dials on the rear shocks.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can go way beyond the handling limits of a PP2 or Mach1, but the ride will suffer.

Also, why rule out the tires? Tires are 90% of the capability of those cars

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You can go way beyond the handling limits of a PP2 or Mach1, but the ride will suffer.

You can go way beyond. Ditto on the tires. But yes there's always a compromise. You have to be willing to accept that compromise. Everyone's preferences are different.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, camber plates and an aggressive alignment go a long way. Theres no ride compromise for camber and accurate toe settings.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I dunno about the Mach1, never driven one but AFAIK the GT350 has some unique suspension geometry and whether or not that's what gives it some actual steering feel over the GTs or not im not sure, but there's some magic sauce in there that isnt just lowering springs and stiffer dampers/sway bars.

OP
OP
NovaSayan

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
From my experience with the FP track handling kit on my 2017 and several years dailying a GT350 when the weather allowed, I would say on the street they have a similar feel, except the non magneride shocks have a more traditional feel to them that I prefer over the magneride tuning my GT350 had.

On track I noticed that the magneride controlled body motions significantly better than the FP track handling kit. On track I think magneride has an advantage for that reason.

Assuming the HP Mach and GT350 are somewhat similar based on their similar road course times, I think if your goal is track handling, you need stiffer springs and shocks to match the body control you get from magneride. Based on your post, I think street driving and comfort might be more important to you. I'd say good wheels and tires plus a performance alignment front and rear is probably all you need on top of the FP track handling kit. I'm using the adjustable sways from the FP track handling kit. I think they work well with it. Not sure why you'd want to pick something else.

Edit: oh, and you probably want the smallest diameter wheels you can fit over the brakes you plan to use. You'll get a better ride and better performance overall from 18 inch wheels if they fit, for example, rather than going to 19 or 20 inch wheels.
Lots of good advice here, thanks for the tip! I've heard the FP Track handling kit sway bars are the same as the GT350's, any idea if that's true? I ask because there's quite a bit of GT350 sway bars for cheap.

How much of a decrease in ride quality would I get if I get sway bars that thick? Is it extremely noticeable?

You've pretty much already done it. Other things you can do are to add a front sway bar, toe knuckle bearings, upgrading the front control arms and rear lower control arm, subframe bushing lockout... stuff like that. I've done almost everything there is. Always available for questions.
Appreciated man, good advice thank you!

Ah my bad haha, didn't mean to rule out tires. I more so meant that I know what tires and widths to go for in regards to handling, but suspension is the part I am confused on. Tires are important for sure!

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Lots of good input here from the gang so far. I'm no expert, but I've had a lot of time in these various cars, GT non MR, PP2, 350 and 350R...but not the Mach 1.

You mention daily driver and comfort. Be careful what you wish for. The GT non MR car was a very nice daily street driver for me. The other are a lot more fun but not for a daily. Sounds like you're on the right track for your goals. One thing I'd avoid is lowering the car drastically. A little goes a long way IMO. The PP2 height is as low as I'd go in a GT....especially without MR.
Sponsored