Sponsored

Rattling type sound while in sport mode?

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Hey guys. I searched around the threads and saw a couple people mentioning similar sounding issues in some random threads but not a solution or even replies to their issues. Does anyone have or had a type of rattling sound coming from the passenger side interior of their GT350?

It's only when I'm in sport exhaust mode and will shows up above 2k rpms. At first I was thought it was maybe the shifter rattle that many people talk about but it's not and is definitely coming from the passenger side. I've applied pressure all over the panels/glove box areas and the sound still shows up so I'm not sure what's causing it.

I recorded audio of it for reference:

https://soundcloud.com/user-863107763/sport-mode-rattle

Any advice will be much appreciated. I'll be taking the car into the dealership in a couple of days but I don't have much hope in them caring enough to figure it out.
Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I can't really hear any rattling in your sound bite. However, I usually get a rattling noise anytime I have anything in the cup holders or that little storage area directly under the radio... in front of the shift'er. Remove my "cups" and "keys"... and the noise goes away. At least for me. :)

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes, I have the same rattle coming from the same area. I don't know where it's originating from either.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I've seen three sets of GT350 mufflers where the valves ended up rattling. Closed and open.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yup. I have it. Haven’t dug into anything yet, but gonna try. From the drivers seat mine sounds like the passenger kick panel area, but you know how sounds are. I want to let som one else drive while I ride and search. I’ll try to find it myself or live with it cause the last thing I’m doing is taking this thing to the dealer to try and find an intermittent rattle.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I have the dreaded driver side dash rattle. It’s an amp mounted below the steering wheel. Check Autofanatic on YouTube as he is a big fix rattles Guy. :)

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Might not be it, but try opening the glovebox and see if the door on the car-manual storage slot is open. Mine randomly opens from time to time for some reason.

I open the glove box, close the car-manual door, close glove box, and the rattle is gone (happened again this morning!).

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh, I guess I should have clarified that driving mode has no bearing on my rattle.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Might not be it, but try opening the glovebox and see if the door on the car-manual storage slot is open. Mine randomly opens from time to time for some reason.

I open the glove box, close the car-manual door, close glove box, and the rattle is gone (happened again this morning!).
This...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pakman

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah the glove box area was one of the first areas I checked. Whether open or closed or pressure is being applied to the glove box or the manual storage area, the rattle is there. It definitely *sounds* like it's coming from behind the glove box area. But like others stated I know sounds can be hard to pin point. It's also not the cup holders as I also checked that.

I also follow autofanatic on YouTube. It's definitely not that little amp on the driver's side that's causing the noise. I think his only other rattles video is about the shifter rattle.

As for the exhaust rattle... If that was the case wouldn't the sound be noticeable from the outside? I can't hear it from outside the vehicle but I suppose it's possible that the exhaust note is so loud, it is overriding the rattle sound from outside. And mine is definitely only happening when the valves are open. It won't pop up if the valves are closed.

It seems to be getting worse/louder instead of better. I'll try to make another soundclip to upload as it sounds like it is hard to hear for some people.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I heard something from the dash area and low and behold the HUD cover was loose so I pushed down on it and it popped back in place.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Try positioning the passenger seat all the way forward.

OP
OP
Pakman

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Just an update on this situation guys. I took the car to the dealership, confirmed the noise and they pulled up an internal note (not a TSB) that might be this issue. It reads:

SSM 46173 - Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle to 3000

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type noise during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may be also noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

I guess it could be this issue but I'm not sold on it. The sound possibly fades a little bit as the car warms up but doesn't go away. I rode with a tech who said he heard these sounds in other GT350's and once heard a similar sound in a regular GT Mustang. He said that it was being caused by the aftermarket exhaust on the GT... I'd be more inclined to believe it's something reference the exhaust since I only hear it in sport exhaust mode. But my dealership won't move on this as they apparently will only do something if they can find a TSB about it. I may try taking it to another dealer but I've tried that with other issues on my 15 GT with no luck. Sound annoys me a bit but doesn't kill the fun so I may just deal with it.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Forged piston rattle huh? Wonder what piston clearances Ford uses?
Sponsored