Rapid ticking, idle, from HP pump

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
This has been doing this from day one of the new engine and I've just ignored it but now curiouscur is getting to me.

Basically, at idle and at any temp, the HP/GDI pump makes a rapid ticking sound that doesn't change with rpm. I pinpointed it with a stethoscope. It's not constant, either, it's like it switches on for about 10 seconds, switches off, then switches back on, etc. My guess is that it's regulating fuel pressure, but I'm just curious why the old engine didn't do this at all. Nothing looks loose, and the sound deadening looks to still be in place around the pump. My theory would simply be that there's an extra layer of sound deadening that was forgotten, but I have no way to know for sure without a source of reference.

Anyone else experience this? I'm not particularly worried, but I would like to have a why. I can post a video a little later.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
You found it with a stethoscope, really?

Come on dude.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
This could be the dual fuel injection switching back and forth between port and direct injection. I do not know when the back and forth occurs with this set up but it does work and the direct must be used under full throttle I bet.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You found it with a stethoscope, really?

Come on dude.
I didn't say I "found" it, smartass, I pinpointed it. The old engine didn't do this at all, so for all I know it could've been a faulty IMRC ticking away at idle.

This could be the dual fuel injection switching back and forth between port and direct injection. I do not know when the back and forth occurs with this set up but it does work and the direct must be used under full throttle I bet.
Yeah that's what I read, too. The PI is supposed to be used at idle, mainly, and DI under WOT. It's just confusing me why it's switching on and off so frequently, and only at idle, when it never used to do this before the longblock replacement. I know I can take it in but I just really don't feel like dealing with the dealer right now.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, it is a mechanically driven pump. They will tend to make a lot of noise. My old Mercruiser 3.0L had a noisy mechanically driven fuel pump, and it wasn't even high pressure compared to the new Coyote. If you ask me, I think the HP DI pump has a lot to do with the 2k rattle. That 2k rattle just doesn't sound like piston slap to me.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
For what it's worth the HP FP on my 2.3L EB Mustang sounded pretty loud, in fact it always sounded abnormal an erratic to my ears. Eventually I learned to trust it was fine as I never had drive ability issues. Had 36k of thrashing on it with a Ford Performance Power Pack, ATM FMIC and some other mods when I traded it in for my PP GT. HP FP is just plain noisy.
Sponsored