Sponsored

Ran across TWO super shady dealers in Texas yesterday...

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
So I’m not new to this game. I’ve owned four Mustangs (currently drive an ‘18 GT350) and always seem to chase hard-to-find cars. I’m not a guy who rants about ADM’s, although I won’t pay them either. That said, what I experienced today crossed the line, imho.

Knowing it’s probably too early to start looking for a base GT500 (inbound car or allocation), I did a quick search yesterday anyway on cars.com and found four within 500 miles of DFW. One had no price. One was listed for $126k (more on that one below). The other two were listed at $79k and $80k respectively.

Access Ford of Corpus Christi, TX - They has the $126k car and an $80k car. To verify I went to their website to see the listings. The $126k is a golden ticket car with $106k MSRP and a $20k ADM clearly listed. The $80k car is a base car with no ADM listed. It has a stock number and vin listed, but no window sticker. So I enter my info and get a call back from Roger Davila within 5 minutes. Right away I can tell it’s a scam... he tells me the car on the web site is not available, but I can give them a $1000 deposit to order one. I say “great, you have an allocation?” “Well, no, we don’t, but you can get in line for one with a deposit.” I’m still very interested because after all, it’s an MSRP car (listed as such on cars.com and their own website). Only after 10 mins of questions and making arrangements does he finally admit, “Now you know, we sell these cars for $10k over sticker.” The phone call ended quickly after that. This dealer is not only advertising fake cars with vins and stock numbers, but purposely lying about the price.

Stanley Ford of Gilmer, TX - These guys also have a base car listed on cars.com and their own website priced at MSRP. This one also has a vin, stock number, and even a window sticker! Jerry Snyder responds to my inquiry via voicemail and text. In short... “I'm sorry to inform you we currently do not have that vehicle. But we do have a Shelby GT350.” Classic bait and switch. Advertise a fake car to try to sell a different car, as if I’m so dumb I’ll settle for a GT350 (that I already own). I ask if I can order one. He says they don’t have an allocation. Great so you’re advertising a car that doesn’t exist and I can’t order (presumably to flip people into the leftover ‘19 GT350 they have). When I ask what happened to the GT500 that shows available on the website, he gives me the classic brush off, “I’m new here, if you would like to call my sales mgr he can answer all your questions.”

This entire process wasted an hour of my morning. My bad for starting this early. The issue is, when it dies down in a year or so, there’s a good chance something else will have caught my eye. Oh well...

For what it’s worth, my local dealer (recently bought ‘19 F250 there) has an allocation but also wants $10k over. That’s been the case for months. I text the sales mgr every couple of weeks inquiring on status. Same story for the last two months. At $10k over I think it’s above market value (which is why it hasn’t sold). I wish they’d come down for a repeat customer and a lifelong Ford guy. But at least my guy is honest.
F9087441-BD03-46A9-8E01-428C3FBCB6C7.png
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
So, let me get this straight.
You own a GT350. You started calling local and only local dealerships in a very affluent and populated area, in order to find a small volume, specialty vehicle. You did this immidiatley after the announcement of performance specs and in the middle of the media hype and frenzy surrounding just how amazing the vehile is. You are attempting to attain such limited vehicle at or very near sticker pricing. you did find a dealer that has the car you want, but they are asking for the market rate.

Is the above accurate?

So, the dealer which you have some sort of relationship with, did you even attempt to negotiate a smaller amount, or simply do what you did to the rest and hang up at the mere mention of them asking for the market rate?

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Like I said, it’s not the ADM’s I’m posting about. I’m a free market guy. Let the dealers test the market. All good. As a buyer I can also test the market and hope for an MSRP deal. I knew it was a long shot. I admitted that.

The part I thought was shady is they are knowingly listing cars they don’t have at prices that don’t exist.

if you disagree, carry on...

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
Yeah man, the post wasn't about ADMs, the post was about lack of transparency.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Capitalsim works both ways.. if you have $$ your willing to spend, and i can convince i should have it more than you, thats your fault. As long as i dont lie to do so, and you voluntarily agree to hand over the $..

Sponsored

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Capitalsim works both ways.. if you have $$ your willing to spend, and i can convince i should have it more than you, thats your fault. As long as i dont lie to do so, and you voluntarily agree to hand over the $..
You're not getting what he is post about! It's about a shady dealer!!!!

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
again, I’m all for capitalism. That’s why I’m actually applauding my local guy in my post (despite his own ADM). They are not advertising cars they don’t have nor prices that don’t exist. In other words he’s not wasting my time or anybody else’s. With him I know where I stand and he knows where I stand. It’s very cordial. I didn’t “hang up” on him or anybody else. I simply touch base with him every so often to see if their view of the market has changed. I should probably stop because it likely won’t change for a while.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
My definition of shady must be different. What part did they knowingly or outright lie about?
Read the friggin post again!!!

He was talking about 2 shady dealers who bait and switched, then talked about his dealer who was honest, but that he didnt want to pay the ADM...how old are you 12?

Sponsored

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
Sucky situation but yes if this isn't the first time you've looked for 'specialty' cars on cars.com or other sites then you know dealers do shady shit then say oh that's a typo. Bla bla

Heck pretty sure they play that same shit with regular cars saying they have inventory they don't...

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I see it, I don't agree either. its far from: I have said car and its base price is this but call for details on pricing. They are basically saying we have a high demand car for you to come and look at but "oh wait, no we don't, it is not in stock - how about this one, most people would love a GT350 so you should as well, that 500GT really isn't that great anyway"

I have not looked for a new car in a few years and was recently stunned by how many dealers told me I would get the "internet" price if I paid the fee for their "special dealer super protection package" for just $2,495 or some other BS fee that has a real value to anyone who knows automobiles of about $49.95. So I ask "the real price isn't a discounted $51,355 it is really $53,850?" Their answer "no it is $51,355 but you have to buy our protection package for $2,495."

Last edited:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Report the tactics to the news and your state AG’s office. I hate this type of BS scam marketing. It’s called bait and switch and it’s illegal.

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Completely agree with OP that dealers that advertise cars they don't have are shady. I'm not going to pay ADM, but will wait until the market corrects to buy one, however it will not be from a dealership that pulls that kind of bait and switch.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Read the friggin post again!!!

He was talking about 2 shady dealers who bait and switched, then talked about his dealer who was honest, but that he didnt want to pay the ADM...how old are you 12?
he asked about the car listed.. when did they say they had one and took $?

i read it as
Dealer 1- " Right away... he tells me the car on the web site is not available, but I can give them a $1000 deposit to order one. I say “great, you have an allocation?” “Well, no, we don’t, but you can get in line for one with a deposit.” I’m still very interested because after all, it’s an MSRP car (listed as such on cars.com and their own website). Only after 10 mins of questions and making arrangements does he finally admit, “Now you know, we sell these cars for $10k over sticker. The phone call ended quickly after that. This dealer is not only advertising fake cars with vins and stock numbers, but purposely lying about the price."

where is the lie? Lots of dealers dont have a 2n allocation but will buy froma dealer that does, for the right price of course

Dealer 2-

responds to my inquiry via voicemail and text. In short... I'm sorry to inform you we currently do not have that vehicle.
I ask if I can order one. He says they don’t have an allocation.
if you would like to call my sales mgr he can answer all your questions.”
again, where is the lie? did Op ask if they dont have an allocation to order one, or they dont have ANOTHER allocation to order one?

just because they wont sell you at your price, doesnt make them shady. just show me a salesman that is lying to you when asked a question
Sponsored