Quiet down Roush Exhaust

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Hey y’all, looking for options here. I have a set of roush mufflers with a roush h pipe and it’s just obnoxiously loud for cold starts. Anyway I can quiet it down without going active/putting on the stock resonator? I love the way the h pipe sounds but man I leave at 3:45 in the morning and it’s just obnoxious and I’m starting to feel bad albeit I leave almost instantly: roughly 10 seconds after the start I put it in gear and go idle outside of my complex.

do I try pool noodles? How so?

are there resonators that would work for 2.5” and any suggestions into which? Thanks.
Sponsored

S550Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I used to have roush mufflers with an x-pipe and catless headers on my 2018 gt. I cut a bath towel into four pieces and whenever I left for a car meet at 630am on Sundays I would stuff the pieces towels into each tailpipe and use some painters tape to make sure they didn't blow out. Cold start would be almost completely silent and then once the idle dropped I would pull them out and be on my way.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I used to have roush mufflers with an x-pipe and catless headers on my 2018 gt. I cut a bath towel into four pieces and whenever I left for a car meet at 630am on Sundays I would stuff the pieces towels into each tailpipe and use some painters tape to make sure they didn't blow out. Cold start would be almost completely silent and then once the idle dropped I would pull them out and be on my way.
My 2019 GT PP1 with LTH and Borla Swithfire is now to loud for me. I am going to put TWO "HIGH FLOW" 12" Resonators just past my high flow cats to quiet mine down without negatively affecting my performance. This company is one that I am thinking of going with. Good Luck

https://vibrantperformance.com/bottle-style-resonators-v1250/

1705590529281.png

Last edited:

Unvaxxed

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Magnaflow 11386 resonator would work well in place where your h pipe sits.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Do you have a picture of what this looks like? I wanna try this or pool noodles.

Sponsored

S550Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Do you have a picture of what this looks like? I wanna try this or pool noodles.
I don't. sorry. I just took an old towel and cut it in half. Then cut those halves in half, so that I had a towel for each exhaust tip. Then I rolled each one up like a Swiss roll and stuffed them into the exhaust tips. Then just put a piece of blue tape across the tip to keep it from shooting out when I started the car. Worked way better than I could've ever imagined.

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
It's the same thing as the pool noodle (exhaust silencer) trick. I did that for a while when I first got my Borla exhaust, but then I got tired of having to go through the ritual every morning. Also, the cold starts really grew on me and I love them now. :cwl:

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
it always amazes me how many people complain about the roush mufflers being loud. I have the roush cat back and it's very mellow and sounds great, not loud at all. even on cold starts

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
it always amazes me how many people complain about the roush mufflers being loud. I have the roush cat back and it's very mellow and sounds great, not loud at all. even on cold starts
It’s insanely loud on cold starts lol, are you deaf??? My girlfriend can hear it loud as day when I start it up in the AM and it’s parked hundreds of feed away.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
It’s insanely loud on cold starts lol, are you deaf??? My girlfriend can hear it loud as day when I start it up in the AM and it’s parked hundreds of feed away.
different strokes i guess, my son wants me to put something louder on it cuz even he thinks it to quiet. I start it in the barn (door open) about 75-100' from the house pointed directly at the house and my wife doesn't even complain and she complains about every little noise. she could barely tell the difference from stock to be honest.

this is my son cold starting it in the garage with the phone about 6-8ft away. that's not loud at all, this was a couple weeks after install.

Sponsored

9KaThArSiSeeKeR1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Pardon my forum rust. 1 st post on here but seeing how i literally dealt with this 3 days ago. The roush mufflers combined with any midpipe X or H do become obnoxious to daily drive, and are definitely not neighbor friendly on cold starts. I second the Dougs550 on vibrant resonators. Just installed on my premium. Steeda H pipe with the roush mufflers. Definitely an improvement. Cut the vibrants of the sr x pipe and welded to my steeda.

20240115_123013.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
different strokes i guess, my son wants me to put something louder on it cuz even he thinks it to quiet. I start it in the barn (door open) about 75-100' from the house pointed directly at the house and my wife doesn't even complain and she complains about every little noise. she could barely tell the difference from stock to be honest.

this is my son cold starting it in the garage with the phone about 6-8ft away. that's not loud at all, this was a couple weeks after install.
If you want it louder, have a set of zoomie LTH made and run each side 4 each pipes straight from the LTH to the left/right side just under your door. Now that would be loud!!

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.

Ohhhh lmao you have just the adlebacks. I’m talking a full blown h pipe and roush axle backs. Regular roush axle backs with the stock resonator is a tad louder than stock on cold starts. But it’s no resonator delete.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Pardon my forum rust. 1 st post on here but seeing how i literally dealt with this 3 days ago. The roush mufflers combined with any midpipe X or H do become obnoxious to daily drive, and are definitely not neighbor friendly on cold starts. I second the Dougs550 on vibrant resonators. Just installed on my premium. Steeda H pipe with the roush mufflers. Definitely an improvement. Cut the vibrants of the sr x pipe and welded to my steeda.

20240115_123013.jpg
Anyway you can send me a sound clip? It’s exactly what I’m looking for, specifically. Thanks!!!

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Ohhhh lmao you have just the adlebacks. I’m talking a full blown h pipe and roush axle backs. Regular roush axle backs with the stock resonator is a tad louder than stock on cold starts. But it’s no resonator delete.
not axleback, that is the full cat back with x-pipe here
Sponsored