Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi,

Here's a situation I encounter very often.
Yesterday my car was squeeky clean. Then there was a bit of mud rain. So I woke up this morning to find my car looking like this:

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

The car will be in direct sunlight until mid-afternoon, so washing it now is out of the question. I'll need to go pick up my daughter from school in about one and a half hours, and I will die of shame when I arrive there with the car looking like this. :frown: :crying: :blush:

So, my question is: is there a quick workaround in such situations? I mean, a quick and easy way not to clean the car per se, but at least to remove the bulk of the dust, so that the car looks reasonably well at a quick glance until I get the chance to wash it?
I was looking at those soft brushes covered in paraffin (e.g. California Duster). Are they any good? Would they help?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
California dusters are good, but only on dust and pollen etc that has stayed dry.

I can get my jet wash out, foam the car, rinse the car and have it all back away again in well under 30 mins.

The results, especially on a waxed car are very good and wouldn't get a second look from most people.

Have a look at my postings here for some real world examples done with reasonable quality kit (along with the threads those posts are from) :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...essure-washer-no-contact.155177/#post-3168403

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...essure-washer-no-contact.155177/#post-3164118

A foam wash is a really good quick option for exactly the scenario your have on your hands :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can get my jet wash out, foam the car, rinse the car and have it all back away again in well under 30 mins.
I can't, because the car is in direct sunlight until about 4:00 PM. :frown:
Late afternoons and evenings are the only times when I can wash it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Unless it was absolutely baking, the jet wash doesn't bother me in direct sun - even on my black sportage I can work quick enough / keep it wet enough for it not to dry before the soap is fully rinsed.

There are a few caveats :
  • UK full sun probably shouldn't be compared to FL or AZ full sun ... lol
  • I have great water and don't need to dry off - only water spots I get are from airborne dust that settles in the water before it dries - only an issue on windy days.
I would say go for it (or at least try it once) - remember that just a foam wash and air dry involves zero physical paint contact with mitts / cloths / sponges etc i.e. pretty much zero chance or introducing swirls / marring etc and I can 100% guarantee its going to look a whole lot better than it does now :like:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I don't understand the "direct sunlight" problem. When stuff like this happens, I just take a slightly moist towel and wipe the car all over. Takes a minute or two max and afterwards it looks fine.

I only do this if the car was clean before the rain of course. Was it full of dirt or other stuff, I wash it properly rather than scratch the paint by rubbing the dirt into it with my towel. If no time to wash it, I take the bus instead of course.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Unless it was absolutely baking, the jet wash doesn't bother me in direct sun - even on my black sportage I can work quick enough / keep it wet enough for it not to dry before the soap is fully rinsed.
I don't understand the "direct sunlight" problem.
In direct sunlight the foam dries almost instantly on the car, before I even get the chance to reach for the pressure washer, never mind actually rinsing it off. If it dries on the car it won't clean it properly - quite the contrary.
Also, I must always wipe the car dry, because if the water evaporates naturally it will leave spots, although I do use a descaling filter. Wiping it is no problem in itself, as I have a good microfiber towel, but the trouble is, by the time I wipe one body panel the next has already dried.
And these are just the practical issues, before even mentioning my extreme discomfort of working in plain sunlight at 25 °C (let alone at 35 °C in the summer), sweating like a pig.

I did try to wash it in the sun. Several times. Each time I swore I wouldn't do it again. Somehow, from time to time I forget and I do it again, only to regret it immediately and to swear again that I won't do it anymore. :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
When stuff like this happens, I just take a slightly moist towel and wipe the car all over. Takes a minute or two max and afterwards it looks fine.
That did cross my mind, but I was afraid I'd scratch the paint. :blush:
The car may have been clean before, but now it isn't. Now it's full of dust.

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
In direct sunlight the foam dries almost instantly on the car, before I even get the chance to reach for the pressure washer, never mind actually rinsing it off. If it dries on the car it won't clean it properly - quite the contrary.
Also, I must always wipe the car dry, because if the water evaporates naturally it will leave spots, although I do use a descaling filter. Wiping it is no problem in itself, as I have a good microfiber towel, but the trouble is, by the time I wipe one body panel the next has already dried.
And these are just the practical issues, before even mentioning my extreme discomfort of working in plain sunlight at 25 °C (let alone at 35 °C in the summer), sweating like a pig.

I did try to wash it in the sun. Several times. Each time I swore I wouldn't do it again. Somehow, from time to time I forget and I do it again, only to regret it immediately and to swear again that I won't do it anymore. :blush:
See many people talking about this now: https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-DIC-20-Motorcycles-Water/dp/B072FJTX8X

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/spotless-rinse.160188/

Too pricey for me I think, but looks like it would make things really easy and quick.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That looks like it might work. Doing one panel at a time might be the answer. I'll give it a try. :like:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Vlad: The horns of a dilemma it seems, eh? :cool:

I don't know what you have in the air at your location but I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle get THAT dirty from a rain shower!

I believe that a fairly damp towel (that is rinsed thoroughly and regularly during the process,) will do the job but as it was said, you risk scratching the clear coat.

I'm also thinking that your foam cannon isn't putting out enough foam. You should be able to foam the entire vehicle and let it sit for five minutes to "soak," (I duit in the Texas sun all the time,) and it doesn't dry.

1622022028952.png

So, with all this in mind, I would probably fill a 5-gal bucket with warm and slightly soapy water, (half a dozen drops,) wring the towel nearly dry, and use that to wipe off the dirt, flipping after each wipe and rinsing the dirt out after each, as well. Carry a drying towel on your shoulder to wipe off any water the towel leaves behind.

My two cents but best of luck with your girl.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wow! That's some foam. :shock:
No, mine doesn't look like that, mine's much more 'watery'. I guess I'm either doing it wrongly, or I need to get a better foam.

I don't know what you have in the air at your location but I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle get THAT dirty from a rain shower!
It's not always like that, but Bucharest is in the middle of a plain, and the dust from that plain is often blown by wind into the upper atmosphere, where it can then travel for many miles. And when it meets a rain cloud, this is the result.
And that's just the 'local' dust. Sometimes there's a red dust which comes all the way from Africa. But that's rather rare, perhaps once a year or so.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! That's some foam. :shock:
No, mine doesn't look like that, mine's much more 'watery'. I guess I'm either doing it wrongly, or I need to get a better foam.
You must have missed the "done with reasonable quality kit" in my first post ... :wink: :like:

Forget the 'foam bubble gun' that you get chucked in free with your jet washer and get something better. The foam should be more like 'runny shaving foam' rather than 'bubble bath'.

If I don't rinse all the foam off the cobbles under my car and we don't get any rain, it can still sat in the gaps 24 hours later :like:

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You must have missed the "done with reasonable quality kit" in my first post ... :wink: :like:

Forget the 'foam bubble gun' that you get chucked in free with your jet washer and get something better. The foam should be more like 'runny shaving foam' rather than 'bubble bath'.

If I don't rinse all the foam off the cobbles under my car and we don't get any rain, it can still sat in the gaps 24 hours later :like:

I see. That explains it. Mine is very far from that. I'll look for something better.
Thanks. :like:
Sponsored