Sponsored

Quick Manual shifting advise!

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So would driving a Mustang be like driving a very expensive grill on wheels?
Nice try, but no....If you have to ask you just don't get it. Hint...think soul vs appliance.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I didn't know the tesla could toast bread. That would have totally changed my car buying decision! Breakfast on the way to work and absolutely no amazing engine noise! :headbang:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I didn't know the tesla could toast bread. That would have totally changed my car buying decision! Breakfast on the way to work and absolutely no amazing engine noise! :headbang:
Yes exactly! If a Tesla could make toast it would be a big improvement!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
1-2 always gets me. There is just no nice point to shift when going slow or fast. The rev hang, crappy mt82 combined with slop in the prop shaft and diff back lash make it nigh on impossible. Maybe if you address the backlash issue it would be acceptable. Personally I shift to second ASAP below 3k revs then use second gear as intended. Had the lockout issue twice and don’t want to play that game again. Never had this issue with other manual performance or race cars with getrag, zf etc boxes. I suspect swapping the box for a tremec or hewland would also fix this particular annoyance.
Another problem on our roads is the ratio for 1st gear. It’s too damn low. Second gear is just a fraction too high to replace first entirely sadly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Its annoying to me as well. The revs dont drop for like a second after clutching in, so you have to wait almost a second to get a smooth shift. I think ford programmed it like that so the average person would be smooth. I really just wish the revs would drop when you clutch in and come off the gas.
This is the biggest thing that keeps me from being smooth in the 1-2 shift. The damn rev hang. Accelerate, clutch in, wait, wait, wait, eventually it drops to where you need to be for second, clutch out. Really irritating. It's not as bad in higher gears at least.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get a rev hang in my 2017 GT maybe because I tend to short shift 1st to 2nd
I did the lighter clutch return spring mod and that helps. I push the clutch pedal about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total stroke and the shift is clear right there, quick and easy for me.

Last edited:

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Wow after reading this thread I gotta say I have the answer.

It's called an automatic. You see, here is my strategy. I'm at a dead stop? I lazily put one hand on the steering wheel and I use my RIGHT foot, not the left (that's important to keep in mind) and I smash the gas pedal. I then sit back and enjoy the ride. I dare a Corolla to keep up with my 6R80. I then pound my chest in glorious victory.
I know what he means though, under very light acceleration any family sedan will walk away from you from a stop. I always laugh about it.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Turn off advanced traction control if 1st gear is giving you trouble. It made a world of difference for me; granted I also wasn't struggling much to begin with, it still felt a lot better. I'm not sure about the 18, but the 19 revs on its own when depressing the clutch. I noticed this when I was lazily leaving work. On a flat road I literally don't have to touch the gas pedal. This is definitely one of the easier stick shifts I've used when it comes to creeping/stop and go traffic.

Reactions: A7X

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Haha!! My next mustang will be an automatic lol.
If the roads are dry i use track mode. Yes really. I don't rev high or drive fast but I keep up easily with traffic

Also a lazy way is 1-3-5. You skip 2, 4 and 6.

The car has plenty of torque so you won't damage it one bit

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Like everyone else is saying; practice.

I hate the rev hang too. I’m hopeful that Lund can tune that out once I get the car tuned.

Anyways my car has 3:73’s and I find myself shifting around 2500 when I’m just cruising. The 1-2 shift is always a little jerky but I’m used to it from driving manuals since I was 16.

I did do my first no lift shifts tonight. Fun times. Can’t wait to do it after I dump the clutch at 5000 and get a run in.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Practice... this x10. Something I need more of I guess. My high RPM shifts are terrible to be honest. Those shifts feel awkward and I'm likely releasing the clutch too slowly in the lower gears. On a few occasions I have got a whiff of a hot clutch disc. Then when I'm shifting 3 - 4 it's more of a harsher shift, a slight banging from one to the next. Around town without hooning it, I can shift very well with almost no perceptible gear transitions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when I get on the gas hard.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I don't know what I'm doing wrong when I get on the gas hard.
You've got to be quick, period. Too many people are trying to baby it. My wife can drive a stick just fine, but she's the same way when trying to speed shift. When I go through the gears at 7K+, she just looks at me and says, "I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to shift that way."

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
So true story. Sunday night my right shoe was killing me. Pulled it off at a stoplight. Drive with my sock foot on the gas pedal, shoe on the left foot.

Clutching and then accelerating was different. More feel by having the foot super close to the gas when I was clutched in.

Tried it when both shoes on - makes smoother shifts. Keep the right foot really close when off the gas and then it's quicker to engage when you pull off the clutch and then on the gas

Hard to explain - just try it

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So true story. Sunday night my right shoe was killing me. Pulled it off at a stoplight. Drive with my sock foot on the gas pedal, shoe on the left foot.

Clutching and then accelerating was different. More feel by having the foot super close to the gas when I was clutched in.

Tried it when both shoes on - makes smoother shifts. Keep the right foot really close when off the gas and then it's quicker to engage when you pull off the clutch and then on the gas

Hard to explain - just try it
Shoes can make a difference, depending on what shoes (or lack there of in your case). I definitely have more feedback wearing my light weight gym shoes as opposed to my work boots, but I wouldn't say the difference is huge. I did try driving without shoes before and it was incredibly uncomfortable.

You've got to be quick, period. Too many people are trying to baby it. My wife can drive a stick just fine, but she's the same way when trying to speed shift. When I go through the gears at 7K+, she just looks at me and says, "I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to shift that way."
The irony being that babying it at 7k+ can break it. Once you commit to putting your right foot down then you need to fully commit. Mashing the gas pedal but then trying to release the clutch like you're cruising around town will cause a ton of wear to the clutch as the engine keeps spinning faster without the clutch fully engaged. My buddy does this all the time with his car and like, panics or something, while flooring it. He has literally just held the clutch halfway depressed and then slowly released it while keeping his right foot planted to the floor. You can smell that sucker a good 100 ft away after that.
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X