Sponsored

Quick help on Mustang purchase please

larietrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 boss 302
I am looking at a 2017 Mustang GT premium, 16,000 miles, auto, 3:15 rear gear and dealer installed Roush supercharger. A girl owns it and she has bought a Roush truck from a friend of mine and now wants to sell the Mustang. I have gotten her to 34,000. Your thoughts ? Would the 3:15 be an issue with you ? Thanks.
Sponsored

BabyPanza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheryl
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi SQ5
I’m no expert, but depends whether you’re going to track it, I think. We drove PP’s with 3:55 and I can tell you that would not make a good daily. Our GT though that we ended up getting with 3:15 is a great daily. So bottom line depends on what you want vehicle for.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
a 3.15 w/ a 0.69 trans OD ratio seems WAY overkill. But then, my DD right now is a 3.55 /w 1:1 trans ratio.

but, the price seems high, but miles are low, plus that S/C. if you are ok with the price, and only the gearing is an issue, I would do it, then consider changing the gearing if it isn't enough. I have on order a car with 3.73 and .63 final ratio.

you should be a bit under 1900 at 70, while I'll be at 2050 (and my current DD is at 3000 on the nose at 70)

I mean,, no, it's not going to be a sedan loping along at 70 turning only 1200 RPM and getting 30 mpg. shoot, if you have that 70 boss in your sig, you know what it is like, and that is can take some getting used to turning alot of RPMs to cruise, but it is fine.

and these motors are built to turn over 7k, they can run 2k all damn day.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i think most of the boosted guys like the 3.31s the most but being boosted i would not want shorter gears. price doesnt seem bad considering boosted and a lot of gt cars are going for 30K+ without boost. and its a premium. i say if you like it and its clean it sounds like a decent deal. i wouldnt say its amazing but i dont think its overpriced by any means.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
i think most of the boosted guys like the 3.31s the most but being boosted i would not want shorter gears. price doesnt seem bad considering boosted and a lot of gt cars are going for 30K+ without boost. and its a premium. i say if you like it and its clean it sounds like a decent deal. i wouldnt say its amazing but i dont think its overpriced by any means.
I am looking at a 2017 Mustang GT premium, 16,000 miles, auto, 3:15 rear gear and dealer installed Roush supercharger. A girl owns it and she has bought a Roush truck from a friend of mine and now wants to sell the Mustang. I have gotten her to 34,000. Your thoughts ? Would the 3:15 be an issue with you ? Thanks.
With boost I think 355 would be much better.proce seems fair.you can
Always change rear if wanted

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
As far as your diff gears I've always read that when you go FI you go down not up. 3.15/3.31 is what a lot of folks run with FI.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...o-3-31-to-3-71-with-supercharger.84053/page-2

https://www.americanmuscle.com/everything-about-s550-mustang-rear-gears.html
Depends on what you are using the car for.
Drag racing or general track fun.
Boost, roots or twisted rotor s/c make goobs of low end torque so you don't need 3:73,3:90,4:11,4:56 rearing to get it out of the hole.
The issue with gears like the 3:15 is the s/c'd engine torque curve and wheel speed, once you lose traction, It gets harder to get it back as the gearing allows a very fast jump in wheel speed causing the driver that is green in on track driving skills to have a hard time getting traction again and keeping the car under control. They tend to over correct and by the time the rear tires hook back up and grab, your wheel input is past the over correction and the car darts the otherway into a ditch.
Learning the skills was easier in older cars that had 2:50 or 2:73 gearing but a 200hp turd (on a good day) powering it, it was forgiving and let you learn slide control and didn't have the oats to cause the wheel speed to jump at the first loss of traction. Today a 400+ hp bullet you slap a s/c on top of isn't so forgiving to drivers that haven't mastered the skills of car control without rear traction.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
My boosted GT has 3:73 gears with the six speed manual. At 80mph, it barely purring around 2,500

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
My 2015 had the 6AT with 3.15 gears and it was great. No sense of being over-geared, and it was a good freeway car. Yet first gear is deep enough that it flew off the line even with that rear end. You really don't need the deeper rear end unless you plan to go racing on sticky tires.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.15 will be nice with boost. Don't worry about it.
This makes sense. In my local area all the guys with 3.55 NA are wanting to swap to 3.15 when going forced induction.
Sponsored