FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
At 25,000 miles (all 25k on ford performance tune) + stock downpipe I pulled the stock plugs and installed cvfab catted downpipe, and I put new plugs in, NGK 90495 (stock heat rutheniums) I only pulled them to ensure they was the proper gap, but tossed new set in anyway.

25,000 miles with stock downpipe and ford performance tune.
IMG_6334.JPG

at 29,500 miles I put stock downpipe back and put a new set of plugs in, but.. in 4000 miles.. they looked like this.
2ED6FBB8-C37C-4842-940A-4D1195DD5018.jpeg

why are the threads so dirty on my 2nd set I pulled out? is that a concern?

do you guys think my engine incurred any damage? I put a new set of NGK 90495 plugs in, and its running great, but why are the threads so dirty now, all way down deep, is it possible its from removing stock plugs, the dirt from the previous threads residue was left in the threads and got on the new ones? or am I experiencing bad blobby or anything.

let me know if you think I caused any damage in 4k miles or not and if you think I should be fine now that I have a new set of NGK + stock downpipe back on with ford perf tune
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They're fine, just different plugs. Don't overthink it. Torque to spec. No thread compound. Cheers.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
thanks. yeah I was worried a bit, how the threads looked vs my old plugs.

torqued to 14lbs torque (the ngk spec) for these plugs. guess im golden.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Those look practically new except for some soot on the threads, and that is nothing to worry about. Look at what a sparkplug looks like from the combustion chamber and you'll see that there is no protrusion of the threads at all and you have nothing to worry about with regards to what's on them. Unless there is physical damage that is.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Those look practically new except for some soot on the threads, and that is nothing to worry about. Look at what a sparkplug looks like from the combustion chamber and you'll see that there is no protrusion of the threads at all and you have nothing to worry about with regards to what's on them. Unless there is physical damage that is.
put a new set in though just to be safe. wanted a fresh start, new o2 sensor, oem downpipe back on, new spark plugs and reset KAM so it would think it was a new car was my thinking

I gave those plugs to someone who bought my cvfab downpipe though.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
They just look more carboned up than the OEM's no big deal, but the OEM's do look better for being 25k miles vs 4k.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
put a new set in though just to be safe. wanted a fresh start, new o2 sensor, oem downpipe back on, new spark plugs and reset KAM so it would think it was a new car was my thinking

I gave those plugs to someone who bought my cvfab downpipe though.
Didn't need to but it's a relatively cheap giveaway I suppose. I once gave away an entire truck with an electrical problem in exchange for a ratchet.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They just look more carboned up than the OEM's no big deal, but the OEM's do look better for being 25k miles vs 4k.
I have to believe it was from running aftermarket Cvfab catted 3 inch downpipe, (200cell) vs my oem 400cell whatever downpipe with a canned tune- ford performance is designed for oem downpipe

when I started paying attention to fuel trims, it was anywhere from 7-18% off in trimming.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't need to but it's a relatively cheap giveaway I suppose. I once gave away an entire truck with an electrical problem in exchange for a ratchet.
I knew they was fine, if you cleaned them up, the gaps was still 0.028 perfectly, but the fact that I pulled them, I wanted everything as a fresh slate. the guy got, plugs, downpipe, o2 spacer, y pipe, everything for 180 lol. he was pretty happy

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Slight leak, or the tune was off on the trims.
the downpipe was the difference.
put oem downpipe back on, trims are like 2-3% from 0.

like 0 long term. and 1-4% short term trims.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
oem downpipe back on, trims are like 2-3% from 0.
K well what does 18% trim tell you ? Tells me the fuels trims were off. I went with a different intake manifold w/ stock injectors, 2% max. Anyways don't wanna take away from your thread, cheers bud.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
K well what does 18% trim tell you ? Tells me the fuels trims were off. I went with a different intake manifold w/ stock injectors, 2% max. Anyways don't wanna take away from your thread, cheers bud.
oh no its all good.

I meant my trims was off, with the wrong downpipe on my tune. with it back and new plugs im hoping when I pull the next plugs, they look as clean as the oem set I originally pulled. was worried that I had damage due to how dirty the threads was, maybe oil or something leaking. but im happy to know it looks normal .
Sponsored