Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey guys,

I just swapped out my spark plugs with the Motorcraft SP550 Iridium last night, when I took out the coil packs there was lots of dirt in the first three holes, is this normal over time? It’s a 2018 with 94K and this is my second spark plug change.

I would’ve used compressed air and tried to clean it but I didn’t have any with me and had to put the car back together. I cleaned off the ends of the coil packs and put it back together, seems to all run fine I just don’t want issues later, I’m super OCD about maintenance before it’s due and care of my car in general. Should I take it back apart and use compressed air, vacuum, cleaners to clean it out ?

I attached some photos from last night

AE3F5DA6-11DA-427C-896E-9EB381F95FDC.jpeg

E868C6B1-CCB2-49B2-A8C2-325406FAAB73.jpeg

19C729E0-3CB5-454A-A28B-3AA8285FB76B.jpeg

697B3FB8-93B7-4D2B-B085-323C1225524D.jpeg

0A1A4C9E-52AB-45D7-848D-FC600DB17D1C.jpeg

6D4DD000-57B5-4E54-9825-D40D341F006F.jpeg
Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
If you've got everything buttoned up already, some compressed air would be all I would use to clean the tubes out. I used a vacuum cleaner and a piece of thin hose to get down in the tube before I pulled the plugs out the first time, and it seemed pretty clean when I was done. I think you'll be fine one way or the other, but I get the OCD when it comes to spark plugs...

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
looks very interesting in those spark plug tubes.

In all my years changing spark plugs, the tubes are always clean. You mentioned that this is the second time you're swapping plugs - the first time, was the dirt in these pics there as well?
If not, somehow, the coilpacks were not seated fully?

Also, the dirt itself - is it just some lightly-settled sand and dust? Or, is it like caked-on? Hard to tell from the pics.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
looks very interesting in those spark plug tubes.

In all my years changing spark plugs, the tubes are always clean. You mentioned that this is the second time you're swapping plugs - the first time, was the dirt in these pics there as well?
If not, somehow, the coilpacks were not seated fully?

Also, the dirt itself - is it just some lightly-settled sand and dust? Or, is it like caked-on? Hard to tell from the pics.
Hey, super late reply, I pop on and off 6G like once a year for a week or two when I’m going over maintenance on my car ha ha.

Just did the Transmission fluid exchange and filter, now I’m doing the diff, brake fluid and cleaning things up under the hood.

It’s been so long since I first did the spark plugs, but first time I think there wasn’t any dirt and last time it looked like a coat of dust/dirt like the engine bay gets over time. I’m guessing the rubber boots aren’t seating all the way, and I remember it was super hard to get them to seat at all.

I just plan to leave the spark plugs in and take a can of compressed air and a detailing brush to clean it out and then try to fully seat the coil pack afterwards. Unless someone else has any insight or suggestions.

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I used compressed air when I changed mine. I'm also OCD when it comes to auto maintenance. I run without the 'hat' on top of the engine. The hope is that it results in less heat soak for the coil packs. Time will tell... But it does result in more dirt on top of the engine. When I pulled the coil packs off I could see the dirt at the bottom of the spark plug holes. The compressor resolved it easily.

Anyway, they used to make an aerosol can of nothing but propellant for photography. It didn't contain CO2 but I don't know what it was in it. Sometimes it's called a can of compressed air, sometimes a can of 'duster'. You used the can of "air" to clean negatives, lenses, filters, etc. They have a little red tube for getting into small places. I still have half a can around somewhere. It would work great for cleaning spark plug holes when you don't have an air compressor handy.

You could also use the CO2 cartridges for inflating bicycle tires but they get VERY cold while they discharge.

I wouldn't disassemble things now if the car is running A-OK. Less chance of introducing a problem. Just clean with air before the next change and you should be fine.
Sponsored