Question re: BLIS, lane assist, etc.

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I just checked since I’m on lunch and seems to be permanent.. I deselected them shut car off and started back up and they are still inactive.
Sponsored

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Ok let me rephrase that… Bliss and Driver alert stay inactive. Cross traffic is now selected on key cycle

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I got a 401a and really didn’t want all those things either but I wanted Ruby Red and purchased it. I have them turned on and turn off lane assist. It really doesn’t bother me only had the lights on the dash board light up a few times because someone in front of me wanted to quickly brake and turn right.. I still had enough room and I don’t think active breaking kicked in

OP
OP

FullThrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
I got a 401a and really didn’t want all those things either but I wanted Ruby Red and purchased it. I have them turned on and turn off lane assist. It really doesn’t bother me only had the lights on the dash board light up a few times because someone in front of me wanted to quickly brake and turn right.. I still had enough room and I don’t think active breaking kicked in
I've gotten those "assist" features a few times in rental cars, and they absolutely make me crazy.

Nearly 20 years of racing open-wheel cars taught me that the only time a light should flash at you is when the engine is 10 seconds away from detonating. Anything else is an unnecessary distraction that takes your focus away from where it should be - driving.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I notice that there's no option to turn off "pre-collision assist". How do you disable it permanently?
I managed to disable it permanently with Forscan. If I couldn't have done it with Forscan, then I would have physically unplugged the radar. That's how much I hate this stupid crap. I hate it with a passion.
I have nothing against its mere existence, I know it has its upsides, I know that some people (who shouldn't have a driver's licence, but we'll gloss over that) may need it. I'm glad it exists. By all means, if someone wants a car with a mind of its own, then they should be able to buy one. I'm fine with that.
But if I ever meet the moron who decided that we shouldn't be allowed to disable it, I will kill him in the slowest and most painful way possible.

The relevant settings are in the IPC, IPMA and BCM. There's also one in the ABS module, but you can't change that, because it triggers an error light on the dash. So you have to leave the ABS alone, but that's OK, because the feature is disabled anyway with or without the ABS setting.
I don't know the codes, because I used the "easy" config options. The latest ForScan version has them all.

OP
OP

FullThrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I managed to disable it permanently with Forscan. If I couldn't have done it with Forscan, then I would have physically unplugged the radar. That's how much I hate this stupid crap. I hate it with a passion.
I have nothing against its mere existence, I know it has its upsides, I know that some people (who shouldn't have a driver's licence, but we'll gloss over that) may need it. I'm glad it exists. By all means, if someone wants a car with a mind of its own, then they should be able to buy one. I'm fine with that.
But if I ever meet the moron who decided that we shouldn't be allowed to disable it, I will kill him in the slowest and most painful way possible.
I share your views on these features - no problem with having them offered, but there should never be any sort of automatic function that the owner cannot disable.

The relevant settings are in the IPC, IPMA and BCM. There's also one in the ABS module, but you can't change that, because it triggers an error light on the dash. So you have to leave the ABS alone, but that's OK, because the feature is disabled anyway with or without the ABS setting.
I don't know the codes, because I used the "easy" config options. The latest ForScan version has them all.
Thank you! This is precisely what I was hoping someone would be able to tell me.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Does it stay off permanently?

This is a serious question for me. I travel a good bit and get a fairly wide variety of rental cars, and there are few things that I find more annoying than a setting that doesnt stay changed after I've changed it. As a result of this control characteristic, I won't be buying another Challenger, and am thinking about returning to a Mustang....but not if it does the same thing.
2021. Lane departure: Yes mine stays off at each restart if I keep it off.
Blind spot mirror notification: You can turn it off in settings (PP1 non premium), but I have always left it on, so I don't know if it stays off.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Outside of lane departure ( if that tired shouldn't be driving as its more dangerous than phone or drunk) I love all the tech.

It's great for country roads (animals) and urban setting ( human wildlife) and well as idiots on the phone and bullet proof cyclists haha.
I agree lane departure may be much for normal driving, but it'd definitely be welcome in those final stretches to a rest stop during a long trip, when sleep's creeping up on you.

Personally, I don't see a reason to turn off BLIS and collision assist. Especially since, to my knowledge, BLIS is only indicators in the corners of the mirrors—correct me if I'm wrong on that. I suppose with correctly adjusted mirrors, you could make the point it's redundant in a Mustang-sized car. Collision assist though? I'd rather the car bring itself to a screeching halt, than take a blind deer or rogue cyclist to the windshield...

I may well be biased, as I'm looking to a '22 with these features specifically because I've got a lot of long-haul trips in my future. If BLIS and collision assist are minimally invasive to normal driving, I'd rather take the additional safety net if I can't see or stop fast enough than not, myself.

OP
OP

FullThrottle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I don't see a reason to turn off BLIS and collision assist. Especially since, to my knowledge, BLIS is only indicators in the corners of the mirrors—correct me if I'm wrong on that. I suppose with correctly adjusted mirrors, you could make the point it's redundant in a Mustang-sized car.
I regularly drive in Chicago traffic. There is ALWAYS someone in one or both rear quarter regions, which means that those d@mn lights are constantly flashing. It is beyond annoying - it's a hazardous distraction.

And yes, if you don't know how to adjust your mirrors and use them, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Like I said above, the only reason a car should flash a light at you is because there is a serious mechanical issue that needs immediate attention.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
For sure. Lane assist is practically semi self drive on some cars. Others it's a joke more of a wake up call.

I take blis all day long though for constant bumper to bumper I'd turn it off. Thankfully don't have startstop which is totally annoying and a total waste just for lab results compliance / economy purposes.

I do have city safety on all the time as usually in urban areas.
Start/stop is where I draw the hard line, yeah. Can't be good for the starter, in any car. If I'm sitting in traffic that long, I'll decide when, or even if, to shut the engine off.
Sponsored