Sponsored

Question for the Whipple equipped members

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
So after a few months of continuous research and prep, I'm on the cusp of making the supercharger kit purchase for my '17. I have narrowed my selection down to the Whipple kit, or the Ford Racing Kit. I am pretty much set on the Whipple, however I do have a question that may sway that decision. My car is entirely stock less some Nitto's out back....therefore it's very quiet. I have seen a few instances of the Whipple kit exhibiting some noise issues via some searching on the internet/YouTube. Of course, these could be underlying issues with the car they are installed on, however it seems as if the Whipple unit is a little bit more noise prone from my research at idle. My personal opinion, I would rather give up some potential HP with the Roush/Ford kit, vs. having a 'normal' mechanical noise eat at me each time I hear it.....assuming that's the norm.

This video demonstrates a noise I would not be happy with....it's the light 'knock' at idle, which perhaps just the camera just picks up more so, although the guy in the video clearly states he can hear it, but not in the car while driving.

Just looking for some real world guys running them, and get their take. Thanks!!!
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Mine with a whipple is too quiet. I wish the supercharger made more noise.. You hear a slight whine at low speed driving, that's it, I've never heard any abnormal noises from it.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I have no idea what he is hearing in that video but my Whipple Gen 3 idles perfect. There is no ticking noise at all. There is a super tiny bit of supercharger whine but that's it.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Whipple Gen3 Stage2 on my 2016 and I cant here anything its so quite.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Any knocking or ticking is from the engine not the supercharger. My 2015 had a small amount of gear noise at idle, but my 2018 is totally silent inside the car until you open up the throttle. I’d actually prefer just a tiny bit of gear whine at idle but it is quiet.

Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I think this guy in the video lost control of this Whipple Mustang in the rain and did a lot of damage to his car.
Respect this kind of horsepower..Just Saying

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Any knocking or ticking is from the engine not the supercharger. My 2015 had a small amount of gear noise at idle, but my 2018 is totally silent inside the car until you open up the throttle. I’d actually prefer just a tiny bit of gear whine at idle but it is quiet.
My 18 is ridiculously quiet as well. I have a lot of friends with 15 to 17 cars that have Whipples, and have never heard anything abnormal from them.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The sound you hear coming from his supercharger at idle is likely gear clash noise. Sometimes but rarely the idle rpm can be at a rhythm that will exacerbate the gear clash noise which sounds like knocking or clacking. I've heard this only a couple times on Whipple setups and I've also heard this on KB I've had in the past. The other sounds these superchargers make are unmistakable and pleasing whistle at idle and WHINE at full song. Ask me why I like WHINE sooooooo much.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys. And I agree, hearing some gear/whine is certainly normal for chargers of this nature, and i'm not at all concerned with those types of noises.

What i'm really concerned with is the whipple rattle as noted by the Dodge guys in this thread. Apparently according to Whipple this noise is completely normal and due to harmonics with the Hemi's at idle with the A/C on:

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f176/whipple-rattle-noise-609137/

I really want a Whipple setup on this car, and from what a few of you running these setups have said, they appear to function with no abnormal noises on the Coyote's, less the video in the first post which *could* be a vehicle issue (I'm working on contacting the video owner to get his story). I also have yet to contact Whipple and want to visit with them a bit before I pull the trigger too.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The owner of the video is Jeff Ashton of Ashton Performance in Sanford Florida.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Shawn, I appreciate that. I've been sold on the Whipple kit for a bit now, but just want to make sure i'm making the best decision for my situation. Being a dealer/master tech by trade, i'm always in tune to the noises my vehicle makes......and I know I will not be happy with any clacking/rattling like the hemi guys are seeing, and luckily it appears that's a harmonics issue with only the Hemi's.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks Shawn, I appreciate that. I've been sold on the Whipple kit for a bit now, but just want to make sure i'm making the best decision for my situation. Being a dealer/master tech by trade, i'm always in tune to the noises my vehicle makes......and I know I will not be happy with any clacking/rattling like the hemi guys are seeing, and luckily it appears that's a harmonics issue with only the Hemi's.
Your welcome and I sent you a PM.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Whippled 18 here and it's quiet just like I'd hoped for.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Neither of my coyote whipples sounded anything like either of those videos.
Sponsored