Sponsored

Question about the R

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this but I am trying to figure something out. All these articles talk about how the R version is the hardcore track version versus the regular version. But as far as I see what really is that much more hardcore? Sure it doesn't have back seats, no AC, and fancy CF wheels but where it really matters things are the same...

1. Same suspension as GT350 w/Track Pack
2. Same HP/TQ
3. Same brakes
4. Same aero besides the rear wing
5. Same basic interior
6. No really special weight reduction (CF hood, roof, etc.)

What I am getting at is usually when you have a hardcore track version of a car they do things that you can't replicate on the standard car easily (think 911 GT3, Z/28, Ferrari Scuderia). I don't think they went far enough for the R version. Anyone who was planning for the R to really be something special bummed about that?

Don't take this as a slight on the GT350 at all. I have an order in for one and would have never considered the R version. The car is amazing... Just curious why Ford didn't go "All The Way" with the R.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this but I am trying to figure something out. All these articles talk about how the R version is the hardcore track version versus the regular version. But as far as I see what really is that much more hardcore? Sure it doesn't have back seats, no AC, and fancy CF wheels but where it really matters things are the same...

2. Same HP/TQ
3. Same brakes
5. Same basic interior

What I am getting at is usually when you have a hardcore track version of a car they do things that you can't replicate on the standard car easily (think 911 GT3, Z/28, Ferrari Scuderia). I don't think they went far enough for the R version. Anyone who was planning for the R to really be something special bummed about that?

Don't take this as a slight on the GT350 at all. I have an order in for one and would have never considered the R version. The car is amazing... Just curious why Ford didn't go "All The Way" with the R.
1. I don't believe the suspension will be the same, the reports from the engineers say the R has even more aggressive tuning and who knows if the springs are matched accordingly
2. OK
3. OK
4. Has a different front splitter , who knows if there are other subtle changes to get everything working together properly.
5. I'd gladly take 137lbs less if it was an option

And lets not forget, you get CF wheels and the aero tidbits for only $7000 more than the base+track pack. The wheels and tires alone are worth the cost difference if you are really after that level of performance. At the end of the day its a 65k car, not 150-300k like the other cars you mentioned.

And they probably learned from the bowtie boys that a 75k+ track car isnt going to attract a huge pool of buyers, so they kept the price down and production numbers down accordingly. What is does do is also leave some in the tank for a mid model face lift

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
See below in red:

1. Same suspension as GT350 w/Track Pack the lighter CF wheels allow for different suspension tuning, which will make handling better, plus the lighter wheels will improve acceleration.
2. Same HP/TQ yes
3. Same brakes yes
4. Same aero besides the rear wing different splitter, different opening in grill, different spoiler. Seems like completely different aero to me.
5. Same basic interior Stripped down with less sound deadening materials and fewer creature comforts, but otherwise only some colors and badging are different. Another case where you are minimizing the change - saving pounds improves track performance.
6. No really special weight reduction (CF hood, roof, etc.) No high-buck add ons, yes you are correct.

I would guess that the R is still supposed to be an "affordable" performance offering, so that's why Ford didn't add more to it.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

2. Same HP/TQ
3. Same brakes
5. Same basic interior

I think that your mistake is in comparing the GT350 to the GT350R which are sister cars. Compare the sister cars to the S550s.
Sponsored