Sponsored

Question about future worth

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
Hey All,

Not sure If I should post this here or in the GT350 threads.

I have a '16 GT Base which I have kept in very good condition (just under 12K miles so far and have enjoyed every single mile. The car still feels new to me) and lately have been thinking about the GT350 or possibly getting a supercharger for the GT.

Did a quick KBB search and the estimate came around 30 to 33K (around what I paid for it b4 financing when new) and I could kind of believe that with the current market of used cars.

That could be a good trade towards a GT350, saw a '18 with less then 7K miles on it for around $63K. With a just a few thousand more down, I might be able to slip into the 350 for around just under 30K b4 financing. Very tempting.

But of course the best thing about my current GT is that it is paid off.

The other thing that I have been thinking about is the future is going electric and supposedly Gas Engines will stop being produced in another 10 to 15 years or so they say.

Now, between a GT and GT350, of course the 350 will always be worth more even if the GT is Supercharged and kept in pristine condition.

But if Gas Engines and especially V8 based sports car become more rare in the future, I wonder if even a simple car like a Base GT has the potential to be worth more compared to world in which Electric didn't take over (depending on the condition of the car of course)?

I guess I am asking which route to take would be better, hold on to the GT and possibly get a Supercharger (not necessary just something I would like to do) or bite the bullet and get a beautiful 350 (wish I could go for a R but that one might be out of budget).

I really do love my GT but the allure of the 350 is always beckoning me.

What do you all think?

Jay
Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
In light of how little miles you're likely to put on, and if you can afford it, the GT350 sounds like a good choice. I doubt the GT will hold its value in a few years. Do you think younger generations will pay a premium for a GT when gas is not so easy to get? If you are not planning on keeping it that long, it's still probably at about it's peak resale value especially considering future inflation. Get the 350, you know you want it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Making any decisions today based on the availability of ICE in 20+ years is just not realistic. Any regular Mustang, even SC’ed will never become a collector car (worth more than its original value).

Now a Shelby is another story. A pristine GT350 could certainly appreciate in value over the next 20 years. Just keep in mind that a SC’ed GT and a GT350 are two totally different animals.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
my 2015 has 12K miles I listed it for sale and got a killer offer but at the end of the day turned it down because to have another fun car or to go faster would cost me double ..700HP on my ride and paid for so Ill keep it.
The GT350 is really not that fast and it def cant hang with a GT with a power adder so if its speed you want upgrade that 2016 IMO . GT500 on the other hand is worth owning but its 100K+

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Look at the 2010 Mustang GT listings. are the Mustangs that appealing? Look at their prices.
That will be your GT in 10-12 years

Sponsored

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
this is exactly what I did. 2017 GT Perf Pack to GT350 and I'm so happy I did. Hurts the wallet but hopefully make it back long-term. As others said, the GT350 is not about acceleration, so make sure you are good with that. Long term reliability, we shall see. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy within reason!

OP
OP
Ashiq73

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
Thanks for all the feedback.

I really got to think it over.

I am not into going really fast or racing or anything like that.

I just like to take out the Mustang once in a while and cruise or go for spirited drives.

The only reason to get the Shelby is well, it's a Shelby and how awesome would it be to have one.

But let's see what happens.

Thnx

Jay

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
I just like to take out the Mustang once in a while and cruise or go for spirited drives.

The only reason to get the Shelby is well, it's a Shelby and how awesome would it be to have one.
This is the usage scenario for the majority of GT350 owners.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Only way a current model will be a collector car is it is a limited run, special car. Or the last of the breed.
The 2019 vette will and is now worth stupid money because it is the last front engine vette.
Problem today is every year something faster,better with more power comes out. Part of the reason the late 60-early 70's muscle cars prices stayed up is there was almost 2 decades of gutless vehicles before anything that get out of it's own way, and the older stuff you didn't have to worry about the emmision b/s.
Unless the door gets slammed shut on performance cars like it did in the early 70's your gt will just be another car in a sea of Ford mustangs.
That said, I would not be looking at the gt500 by way of what it might be worth a decade or more down the line. Buy it to drive it and enjoy it NOW. Why worry what it is or might be worth to someone else 20 years from now.
If and when they stop making performance i.c.e. powered cars the market will either go up, or tank if the newer power systems allow for a faster car.
If pump gas goes the way of race gas and by that I mean the cost per gallon, you'll not be able to give them away as the pool of buyers and the supply will be 100 cars to one interested buyer.
Buy the gt500 if you want it and will enjoy driving it. buying it for an investment and looking at it in the garage is for guys that the cost of buying it new is pocket change.
buy it and drive the wheel off it. They are made to be driven and pushed to their or your driving skill limits, not to be parked and washed more than driven.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Investing in a cookie cutter S550 Mustang GT or even the 5 year run of GT350's is like sinking $10k into Ford stock and hoping you'll be a Quadrillionare Tycoon.... good luck...

Plus a vehicle's "worth" is only worth as much as a Buyer is willing to drop on it. Now if you're an emotional Barrett Jackson Bidder who's been pumped with 4liters worth of Jack & Coke and just doesnt know when to stop bidding - then sure, it's worth that amount of barrels of money, high end credit line or that insane home equity loan you just signed... LMAO...
Sponsored