Question about applying numbers for autocross

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Looking to try my hand at some autocross this year. Just for fun and something new. One of the requirements is that you have numbers on the side of the car. What do you all do as far as applying the numbers? Tape, static cling numbers, magnetic ones (are the body panels steel, when I picked up my new F-150 and went to put tje company sign on, it wouldn't stick because the panels are aluminium not steel. Had to have giant stickers made).

The season hasn't started here yet and I missed the first club meeting, so I have no idea what the proper or common solution is.

Thanks
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Mustang doors are steel and magnetic numbers work very well at autocross speeds. I use block style individual numbers to provide "number options" at events where I don't get to use my preferred number (50 FS). Check the rule book for height and stroke width.

However, before spending $$$ on magnetics, etc. you probably should try some events to see if you actually like the sport. Also before picking a number it would be good to see what numbers other cars in your class are running and then pick a different number for your car. If these events have on line pre registration you can sometimes see what numbers have already been used. Most first timers these days use painter's tape for both number and class. Show up at your first event with a roll of wide painter's tape in a contrasting color. In my case with a Ruby Red car the numbers are white.

Edit to add: The hood and front fenders are aluminum. The front fascia is plastic. If you get "hooked" and attend major SCCA events you will need one or more decals on the hood and/or fascia. Other required SCCA decals for those events can be put on magnetic material and then put on the doors. One trick if you do get in a "need stickers on the paint" situation is to peel the backing off and gently contact your jeans with the adhesive to weaken it with "lint" from the jeans. However, even without that most of the stickers can be removed simply by carefully pulling from a corner and then using adhesive remover to clean up the residue . . . most of the time.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
The rules I read said that you need to have numbers on the side. Nothing about the hood. Not really looking to drop big bucks on the magnets, but the the ones we buy for our company trucks (except mine) are really pretty cheap. I was looking for something temporary while I determine if autocross is something I really want to do. i really don't want to do any type of sticker. I may have to print large enough numbers that can be taper to the inside of the door frame and to the window.

When the next meeting rolls around I'm going to head over ask a whole lotta questions.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sam - Sorry for my lack of clarity.

If the local club has a website and/or forum they might have "helpful hints for first timers" info.

For local events normally only numbers and class letters on the doors are required. Later if you decide to go to an SCCA Tour, Pro Solo, or Nationals then there are some SCCA and/or sponsor stickers required in various places on the car. Generally it is best to put the numbers on the doors of a Mustang and most other cars. Side windows aren't good since there will be times that you need to look out a side window . . . even if you don't spin or get sideways.:) Paper is risky if rain is possible.

I checked the SCCA rule book and the "official" minimum number size is 8" height with 1 1/4" stroke. Class letters are minimum 4" height with 3/4" stroke and are supposed to be smaller than the numbers. Your local clubs are likely to be more flexible but keep in mind that the purpose of numbers is so that the timing crew and the course workers can see them well enough "at speed" to properly identify which car and driver. Once you work the radio on course you will appreciate the need for clarity. :)

Anyway, if you show up as soon as the site "gates" open you should have plenty of time to unload the car, register, tech, walk the course, and generally begin the process of figuring out what is happening. FYI my first autocross was in about 1970 in a 69 Mustang 351 Windsor 4 barrel. Obviously I got hooked in a big way since I still autocross.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Most novices use painter's tape for a while to make their crude numbers. The painters tape won't leave residue on your paint. Just make sure to get a good contrasting color. No blue on black, etc.

For magnetics, I just buy the material in bulk from a place like Fellers Inc. All you really need to do is lightly score the magnetic vinyl with a blade and it will tear straight, so its pretty easy to cut your own.

Sponsored

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Sam - Sorry for my lack of clarity.

If the local club has a website and/or forum they might have "helpful hints for first timers" info.

For local events normally only numbers and class letters on the doors are required. Later if you decide to go to an SCCA Tour, Pro Solo, or Nationals then there are some SCCA and/or sponsor stickers required in various places on the car. Generally it is best to put the numbers on the doors of a Mustang and most other cars. Side windows aren't good since there will be times that you need to look out a side window . . . even if you don't spin or get sideways.:) Paper is risky if rain is possible.

I checked the SCCA rule book and the "official" minimum number size is 8" height with 1 1/4" stroke. Class letters are minimum 4" height with 3/4" stroke and are supposed to be smaller than the numbers. Your local clubs are likely to be more flexible but keep in mind that the purpose of numbers is so that the timing crew and the course workers can see them well enough "at speed" to properly identify which car and driver. Once you work the radio on course you will appreciate the need for clarity. :)

Anyway, if you show up as soon as the site "gates" open you should have plenty of time to unload the car, register, tech, walk the course, and generally begin the process of figuring out what is happening. FYI my first autocross was in about 1970 in a 69 Mustang 351 Windsor 4 barrel. Obviously I got hooked in a big way since I still autocross.
DickR, I thought you pretty clear. The info is a big help.

The local club has some info on their website. The forum doesn't have much action. I understand the need for the numbers to be visible, I used to race hare scrambles, flat track and moto-cross. Just trying to figure out the best way to attach the numbers without damaging the paint.

I am really enjoying the car. It's not a dd or track only car. Just something to drive the heck out of and fun with. One of my co-workers used to autocross and she has convinced me to give a go.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Start with painter's tape. If you get hooked, magnetic numbers and letters are lovely.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Consider one big number plate with your numbers and class verses sperate number and class plates or individual numbers and letters.

One plate is a lot faster to place and align. It can even combine any other logos or decals you want to/need to run.

Also, clean off the area before mounting your numbers. You don't want dirt under the numbers grinding on your paint.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Magnetic numbers right on the door. They hold up to speeds over 130mph just fine. I've since cut out the numbers directly and left out the white background, looks cleaner.
22424645_10104960889619322_1954655891268290590_o.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My first event I had to stop at Walmart on the way to get some tape, once I got there turns out my region doesn't require it lol. So if u run in PHX then no numbers needed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
EFI, I like the look! I will probably pass on the magnetic numbers. I have seen first hand what magnetic signs can do to a door.

Cardudue99, I will be running in KC. Hopefully. It will be just for fun, at least to start.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EFI, I like the look! I will probably pass on the magnetic numbers. I have seen first hand what magnetic signs can do to a door.

Cardudue99, I will be running in KC. Hopefully. It will be just for fun, at least to start.
Depends. I've used individual magnetic numbers a LOT. Make sure the paint is clean of grit and dry and don't slide the numbers on the paint. Then remove before driving home. If the numbers got dirty at the previous event clean the backs as well as the fronts.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

It's addicting. I try to go every month now. If I had the time I'd go more often. So much fun.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Start with painters tape fo sho. I still use painters tape when I decide to run Time Trials. I wash the car before the event and clean the magnet before applying. I stick the magnets together when not in use. Mine were $25 done at the track.
47314345_2028637400559048_5422789634499280896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Look up "Magnetic Sheet Roll" online. Find your favorite font and print your letters/numbers out. Tape them over the white side of the magnet sheet and trace around the printed stencil with an exacto knife. Clean the surface before you put them on your car and wipe the back of the magnet off on your pants before placing them on your door. Never put them on the ground and you'll be fine. You'll have plenty left over to cut new numbers out if you lose them.

Try to avoid cones, though...
oops.jpg
Sponsored