Sponsored

Pulling harmonic balancer

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hey folks- seems my harmonic balancer is really stuck..after removal of bolt and washer I tried using a 3-claw puller with rods that go into the crank- guess what, the rods bent..luckily didnt strip threads..

the workshop manual shows to re-insert the balancer bolt, leave a few threads out and use the puller on the bolt head. I’m afraid that under pressure the threads give in and the bolt slides into the crank, ruining the threads- or isnt that possible? See pic for bent rods.

thanks!

IMG_3896.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
The crankshaft threads are pretty hard, maybe try getting a longer balancer bolt (no washer), and threading it in all the way (using all the threads) and trying that.

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
^^^ This

Yeah that would scare me as well, but as mentioned in the post above me give that a shot. If you bottom a bolt all the way into the snout, the threads won’t be bearing all the load, and it should start moving 👍🏻

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hey folks- seems my harmonic balancer is really stuck..after removal of bolt and washer I tried using a 3-claw puller with rods that go into the crank- guess what, the rods bent..luckily didnt strip threads..

the workshop manual shows to re-insert the balancer bolt, leave a few threads out and use the puller on the bolt head. I’m afraid that under pressure the threads give in and the bolt slides into the crank, ruining the threads- or isnt that possible? See pic for bent rods.

thanks!

IMG_3896.jpeg
Go to Fastenal and get a stick of M12 x 1.5 threaded rod. Then you can cut a longer piece that will engage all of the threads in the crank, and have the puller press on the end. You can also use the remaining piece to make an installer

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

thanks!

IMG_3896.jpeg
I tried every 3 prong puller? They did not work.
Believe it or not, Zander got a puller and

thanks!

IMG_3896.jpeg
I used Zander method and worked like a charm. Grade 8 bolts and washers. He has you tube video.

Screenshot_20240306_182806_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_182804_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_182801_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_182758_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_182652_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_182446_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Deca

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Thanks guys- ended up making a 6 inch 8.8 fine metric M12 1.5 threaded rod to push off against. It screws/seats fully in the crankshaft so that gives the most comfort. Thanks for the help! Onto the next step.

IMG_3955.jpeg
Sponsored