csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi All,

First post here. I have a 2019 GT PP1 6speed and I started noticing a sound like when you have a bad pulley bearing and you can hear every time it makes the rotation.. The strange thing is that it only happens when is cold so I am not sure if indeed is a pulley or something with the cam phasers. It happens with either AC on or off. Any thoughts or have you encounter this? I will try to get a video up, also I just bought a stereoscope (waiting for delivery) to try to pinpoint the noise. Thank you.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is the only doc from Ford that possibly could be what you are hearing:
A27D2D63-C95E-433B-9D12-86A8AFB07B34.jpeg

I’d take it in and let the Service Center check it over.

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Thanks very much for the info Cobra Jet!! This puts me at ease. Chirping is exactly the word I was looking for (like a rhythm bird chirping)
Do you work for Ford? Where did you find this at? What is the FEAD belt? Front end accessories?

Thanks for your help.

ps. a little worried since it has to do with timing chain :)

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sounds like belt chirp to me. Not uncommon to have that when the belt is cold. They don't make belts like they used to. I've had this on every PD setup I have. Goes away after a few minutes of running. Had this on stock vehicles as well. Drive the car and enjoy it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sounds like belt chirp to me. Not uncommon to have that when the belt is cold. They don't make belts like they used to. I've had this on every PD setup I have. Goes away after a few minutes of running. Had this on stock vehicles as well. Drive the car and enjoy it.

Thanks!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have the exact same sound, and I can confirm it's not the belt. I spent a good amount of time messing with the pulleys to find no change and finally decided to start poking around with a stethoscope. It's coming from inside the driver's side head. Matches up with the TSB posted. The car drives fine, otherwise, and the sound is completely gone when warm. I don't know if I feel like taking it in myself, at the moment, especially if I'll just be told it won't cause any harm. I would have bet a limb it was belt related because I didn't hear it on the old engine, and I saw a nice streak of oil leading down the cover, but alas.

OP if you take it in do post how it goes.

Moostang83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have the same problem in my 17 except mine stays even when warm during idle. I thought it was a belt or pulley but it wasnt. sounded like the driver side head area, but havent pinned it down. I assume its the same issue. It has been doing it for 18 months and nothing negative has occurred other than an annoying sound.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it’s a belt “chirp” here’s how you would determine if it’s truly a belt chirp:

Using Simple Green or Glass Cleaner (Windex, etc), while the vehicle is running at idle, spray mist the front FEAD - IF the noise (chirping) instantly subsides, it’s a belt issue.

If the chirp does not instantly go away, it’s the issue outlined in the above SSM, or a bad belt tensioner bearing.

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the exact same sound, and I can confirm it's not the belt. I spent a good amount of time messing with the pulleys to find no change and finally decided to start poking around with a stethoscope. It's coming from inside the driver's side head. Matches up with the TSB posted. The car drives fine, otherwise, and the sound is completely gone when warm. I don't know if I feel like taking it in myself, at the moment, especially if I'll just be told it won't cause any harm. I would have bet a limb it was belt related because I didn't hear it on the old engine, and I saw a nice streak of oil leading down the cover, but alas.

OP if you take it in do post how it goes.

yep thanks! I also think just like you, I wont be taking my car to the inept dealer technicians for now reason. I am just going to drive it and try to ignore the stupid chirp

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have a chirp, but you don't hear it at idle. It has to have a little load. First gear crawling out of my complex chirp chirp bouncing off garage walls. Goes away once engine is warm. Cars is three years old but man with this chirp, ticking and scratching sound at low idle sure sounds like a 10 yearer.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

When was this notice released, and is there any way to know if there is an update to it? Sounds an awful lot like that TSB posted for the 2011 that called for a new chain tensioner.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When was this notice released, and is there any way to know if there is an update to it? Sounds an awful lot like that TSB posted for the 2011 that called for a new chain tensioner.
2019 and within the last 6 weeks.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
interesting. Just had my timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty because thats where they thought the ticking was coming from. Now I still have the tick and this new chirp sound. Awesome ASE techs at Ford.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
interesting. Just had my timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty because thats where they thought the ticking was coming from. Now I still have the tick and this new chirp sound. Awesome ASE techs at Ford.
If the thread above holds any merit, it's just a case of something being rushed during installation. I use "just" lightly. This can come back to a lot of what was discussed months back when the tick and rattle threads were in full swing. Simply put, these engines are becoming too complex and require far more care during assembly than a production line can offer.

It's hard to say if this would cause issues. It will, inevitably, cause the components to wear faster than one not chirping, but to what degree is hard to say. That it only chirps when cold is definitely a better sign than if it were the other way around. If it persists beyond warm up, when it previously wouldn't, I'd take that as a cause for concern. Beyond that, given the ford statement provided, you probably won't get a repair. Just keep the RPMs low until the heat expansion helps the issue and/or the oil thins out and is capable of lubricating things properly. That alone, beyond not bouncing it off of the limiter and regular maintenance, is all we can do beyond taking the engine apart.
Sponsored