Sponsored

PSS tires not available, recommendation?

SealTeamPi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
17 Subaru Forester
Hi all, I just purchased my 2017 Shelby GT350 and I need to replace my rear tires since one has a plug that is leaking and the other is just under half its tread life. Tirerack and my local dealer are telling me that the stock PSS are on backorder for several months. They recommended a Nitto tire in stock size.

I'm looking to keep the stock size for the tire, and looking for a summer performance tire for street use.

I wanted to get your recommendations on a good alternative moving forward. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hi all, I just purchased my 2017 Shelby GT350 and I need to replace my rear tires since one has a plug that is leaking and the other is just under half its tread life. Tirerack and my local dealer are telling me that the stock PSS are on backorder for several months. They recommended a Nitto tire in stock size.

I'm looking to keep the stock size for the tire, and looking for a summer performance tire for street use.

I wanted to get your recommendations on a good alternative moving forward. Thanks in advance!
PSS are available, you may order them here and ship either to you or to the installer of your choice:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-super-sport/p/34325

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I would buy the PS4S over the stock PSS.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
From the little research Iā€™ve done, these are darn fine tires!
I have no complaints. I switched from the Sport Cup 2's to the Super Sports.
I did manage to get 11,000 miles out of the OEM Cup 2's, but they were down to the wear bars.
If I was able to track both tires back to back on the same track, I would most probably notice the difference. But I have gotten used to the slight amount of grip reduction and the sidewalls "may" flex more based on my calibrated "Seat-O-the-Pant meter.

Buying a set of tires every other oil change was a bit much for me!

Oh... and the tram-lining is all but history.

Calibration Disclaimer
There are NO traceable records of my NIST Calibration Certifications for my "Seat-O-the-Pant" meter on file with the NIST Organization.
Formal complaints about me even referencing a Calibration for my S.O.t.P. meter can be filed with:
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Drive, MS 8362
Gaithersburg, MD 20899
Attn: Gregory Strouse
[email protected]

OP
OP
SealTeamPi

SealTeamPi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
17 Subaru Forester
PSS are available, you may order them here and ship either to you or to the installer of your choice:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-super-sport/p/34325
I was able to find a dealer that had some PSS in stock. So I have an appointment to get those added.

I would buy the PS4S over the stock PSS.
I would like to know what the PS4S gives over the PSS? Did ford shift the PS4S to OEM, or is it just a newer tire with improvements that come with the next generation?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to find a dealer that had some PSS in stock. So I have an appointment to get those added.

I would like to know what the PS4S gives over the PSS? Did ford shift the PS4S to OEM, or is it just a newer tire with improvements that come with the next generation?
Its a the new design and replaces the PSS. MPSS is being phased out and Ford is shipping the MP4S as OEM on new summer tire GTs and GT350s. The tire is a little better overall, and has truly amazing warm/wet weather performance. Hot/dry on a road course I think its a little better than the MPSS too.

No downsides to the new tire.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Michelin is playing catch up with adding more sizes. Most of the cars that came with the PSS as OEM have sizes in the PS4S to replace them. OEM is now becoming the PS4S.

Its a the new design and replaces the PSS. The tire is a little better overall, and has truly amazing warm/wet weather performance. Hot/dry on a road course I think its a little better than the MPSS too.

No downsides to the new tire.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
From the little research Iā€™ve done, these are darn fine tires!
I noticed Am Tire/Discount Tire has a 30,000 mile tread life on these! Something tells me that wonā€™t happen with our cars.
Fine print cuts that life in half.

Just had a set put on Wednesday.

Sponsored

Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is in stock for the 295s up front but not the 305s in the rear. I would like to get something for a fall / winter tire so plan to pull the stock rims and tires off as seasons change. It does not get insanely cold in Sicily so snow is not a real concern but wet weather can sure hamper things and I don't want to end up off the road. How bad are the stock tires for wet conditions?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is in stock for the 295s up front but not the 305s in the rear. I would like to get something for a fall / winter tire so plan to pull the stock rims and tires off as seasons change. It does not get insanely cold in Sicily so snow is not a real concern but wet weather can sure hamper things and I don't want to end up off the road. How bad are the stock tires for wet conditions?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s are not bad on wet roads if weather warm(say above 65). However, when it's cold(47 and below) it's when they become very slippery and dangerous even on the dry roads, never mind on wet.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Michelin is playing catch up with adding more sizes. Most of the cars that came with the PSS as OEM have sizes in the PS4S to replace them. OEM is now becoming the PS4S.
I really hope they come out with the PS4S in OEM sizes in 35 series sidewalls instead of the 30 series. My front splitter and wheel gap would greatly appreciate it!

Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s are not bad on wet roads if weather warm(say above 65). However, when it's cold(47 and below) it's when they become very slippery and dangerous even on the dry roads, never mind on wet.
Thanks; excellent information to stay safe. Greatly appreciated.

I am shopping a backup set of tires and rims for fall and winter - don't intend to drive when weather is bad but think it is best to have a backup set. It rarely gets below 50 in most areas I would be driving but there certainly are times it does and if I head up on Mount Etna for some driving fun the temps surely dip below 50. Some of the best roads are doing mountain attack so I need to be prepared. Last thing I want is to end up in a ravine...
Sponsored