program key fob

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I bought my car with only 1 fob. Is there a way for me to program it myself since I have 1
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No.

You will have to get a dealer or an independent locksmith with the computer and key cutting ability to do it.
Once you have 2 you can program as many more as you want up to the cars limit, 6 maybe, I don't remember exactly.

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
whoa that's interesting. I actually have two fobs from the new car, plus one left from the old (totaled) car. I asked the dealer, and he was hesitant about reprogramming that one. (The sales guy did not know, and I did not push him because there were other, more urgent questions I wanted him to figure.)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
whoa that's interesting. I actually have two fobs from the new car, plus one left from the old (totaled) car. I asked the dealer, and he was hesitant about reprogramming that one. (The sales guy did not know, and I did not push him because there were other, more urgent questions I wanted him to figure.)
The procedure to program the 3rd, etc key is in the Owners manual which is a free download online. I'm sure it's on YouTube as well.
I don't know about reprogramming a key from a different car but don't se why not. You'll have to find someone to cut a new emergency key. I had a hell of a time finding someone with the machine to do that. It's cut using your VIN.

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I am sure it can be done

Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
No.

You will have to get a dealer or an independent locksmith with the computer and key cutting ability to do it.
Once you have 2 you can program as many more as you want up to the cars limit, 6 maybe, I don't remember exactly.
For the '15-'17, the total number was up to four, and the programming instructions are in the owners manual (involves the key slot under the cup holder) and once you store four remotes, you cannot de-program, and add a different remote. It must be deleted from dealer.

On my '15 I tried to program a remote from an automatic with the remote start button. It did unlock/lock the doors, and worked when inserted into the low batt key slot to turn on the engine, but the remote start button did not work (was not surprised). But later I tried to add two more remotes for a manual car, and it only let me program one more and then when I tried again it gave me a message about max number of keys being programmed.

Dealer said that 4 was the max, and the extra (one with remote start button) is in the system and it has to be deleted using the computer from ford.

Speaking of which, can ForScan delete keys???

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That is the very reason many owners will have a 3rd fob/key programmed, in case somehow one is lost in the future. I programmed a 3rd Fob and keep in my house in Colorado on the key rack, though the Mustang is in GA. I usually live alone in GA, so I make sure to always place the fobs in their own seperate locations every time I remove them. Even though the car is the garage, I make sure the key fobs are stored in a place in the house far enough away from the car, that they can't be recognized. I've seen videos of how car thiefs are usuing a device that allows them to grab the signal the fob is always transmitting and then using the device to start and steal the vehicle.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
when I bought my 16, it came with 2 fobs. I also had read that if you lost one, you'd have go to the dealer to program one. So I bought a third and programmed it and now have 3, just in case.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That is the very reason many owners will have a 3rd fob/key programmed, in case somehow one is lost in the future. I programmed a 3rd Fob and keep in my house in Colorado on the key rack, though the Mustang is in GA. I usually live alone in GA, so I make sure to always place the fobs in their own seperate locations every time I remove them. Even though the car is the garage, I make sure the key fobs are stored in a place in the house far enough away from the car, that they can't be recognized. I've seen videos of how car thiefs are usuing a device that allows them to grab the signal the fob is always transmitting and then using the device to start and steal the vehicle.
Moving you key away from the car isn’t enough. The tools that they use act as a repeater so as long as they can get one within range of your key and the other in range of your car, they will bounce the signal to the car anyway.

I get the impression that electronic theft in the US is a little behind the U.K.

The security weaknesses that come with keyless entry are a little concerning over here, enough so that a proportion of owners opt to drop the keyless entry functionality in favour of a bit more security :frown:

WD :like:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree you have to put the FOB far enough out of range of the thieves devices. I would like to hope they would have to climb my fences in order to get into range. I have thought of one of those bags that supposedly block the signal. I've read contridicting reports of if they work or not.

Car thievery does happen a lot in the U.S. also. Lately there have been multiple thefts from dealerships.

Moving you key away from the car isn’t enough. The tools that they use act as a repeater so as long as they can get one within range of your key and the other in range of your car, they will bounce the signal to the car anyway.

I get the impression that electronic theft in the US is a little behind the U.K.

The security weaknesses that come with keyless entry are a little concerning over here, enough so that a proportion of owners opt to drop the keyless entry functionality in favour of a bit more security :frown:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah keep the keys far enough inboard from your house walls - I have seen videos of people walking around the hose walls / windows trying to pick the signal up.

Someone told me the microwave is a great place for them as it’s a professionally designed faraday cage ... lol.

The bags work (or at least mine do) - they are also easily checked and I suppose I should do that periodically to ensure the lining doesn’t break down with age.

Tins don’t work, I have tried.

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
They have wallets that make sure the signal will not escape

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Those are the Faraday enclosures mentioned above. Some say they work great and others say they don't. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try one.

They have wallets that make sure the signal will not escape

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Completely closed tins???

Norm
Yes, I was quite surprised.

I bought the tin to keep the key in it in the house and it’s pointless, I can put the key in the tin with the lid on, start the car and drive away.

1618154646341.jpeg

Perhaps when the fob batteries age a little the tin would be more effective, but I have bought the pouches now anyway - and the type I bought work well (even with new keys ... lol) :like:

Sponsored