Sponsored

Dealer can’t program key fob because of tune?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Excellent information. One never knows when they may need a replacement.

I think my F150 key just had a plain back on it, but I don't remember 100%, I traded the truck in last Sept (literally like 3 weeks after having the spare key made). Here is their link; I am in no way affiliated with Ace Hardware, I just know it worked for me and saved me $$

https://www.acehardware.com/automotivekeys
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford IDS won't connect to a tuned vehicle (at least for many of the functions), that's why. That's how they program the key.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Technically, it's "not true" if you follow logic rules. True = always true. False = always false. Not true = sometimes true, sometimes false.

A dealer can deny your warranty for having a tune and it's been done and documented numerous times. Hell, there's even people who've been denied warranty claim if the filter looks too new (the dealer knows you took the OEM intake off and installed an aftermarket one with a tune). Some dealerships won't automatically deny because of an aftermarket tune. Some do. They even run the report that shows the number of start/run cycles and they can tell off your mileage whether you had an aftermarket tune on it.

In the end, if you press the issue with Ford, they'll have an "engineer" do an opinion letter on whether or not any modifications were proximate to the warranty claim. Many times, the engineer will side with the customer, but IF it's something where the engineer can definitely say the tune didn't contribute to knock or harsh shifting or whatevs, you could be SOL.

In summary, it really comes down initially to the dealership and what their attitude is on aftermarket mods. Then from there you're at the evaluation of a Ford engineer.

So the correct answer is, it's not an automatic denial of warranty, but it's not like it's a non-issue either.

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
I used the word " could " and working in the Automotive Business 30+ years I have seen it happen with Fords, GMs, Stellantis products , etc. A tune changes many things and the warranty is based on what each manufacturer established with the EPA and more. Plug in a tuned vehicle at some State's annual emissions check and bingo the matrix does not match the factory coded program and the big denial flag pops up. Ford has been a bit more flexible than some in the past ( think the red key for the Boss ) but there has been a lot of changes and manufacturers are not as willing to accept changes that could alter emissions, etc. Just giving folks a friendly warning, there are many other areas that changes can be made , but a tune alters the computer program and that is quite easy to perceive by a Dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
some tunes just Don't like IDS or FDRS. My Ford performance had issues most of the time and Pats programming can be...finicky.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
My understanding is that the system that the security system is attached to for remote entry and key fob is called the body control module also known as a BCM and is not related to the PCM so the tune should not make a difference but dealers use their own system and an aftermarket tune could interfere.

DevinThompson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dealers tend to be pretty clueless. I had my car in recently for service. They asked several times if my car had a tune, because their computer “wouldn’t connect.”

The car was 100% stock.

OP
OP

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So, I went to a local locksmith and they were able to program the keys with zero issues. Not sure what the issue was with the dealer (different programmer/tool maybe?), but I've got new keys and all is well with the universe.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The more I read different threads on this forrum, the more Im leaning towards not touching my car. Which sucks, because I always get my cars tuned & modded. Havent even installed the H pipe for this reason.
Sponsored