Sponsored

Professional Ceramic Coating - Which Would You Choose?

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys, in spite of chickening out on the hard part, hoping it still looks better than the average off-the-lot car. On a scale of 1-to-10 on the waiting for delivery anxiety I'm at an 11, come on June 9!!!!!
It will be beautiful! Post some pics here and we can help you determine what to do if something is off.
Sponsored

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good - I had the same thought: I want to _drive_ the car... and I don't want to (overly) worry about it while I do it. Taking it on a road trip this weekend: 4 hours each way through the mountains (can't wait!).

Your price seems pretty in line with mine. It was ~$2300 for ceramic coating and front PPF (but somewhat less PPF than yours - I didn't do the whole hood, and somewhat less ceramic: I didn't do the wheels).

It's a lot of money, but it buys a lot of piece of mind too.

Let us know how it turns out!
PPF and Ceramic done, the look and gloss is amazing, no wash for two weeks.

20210417_153242.jpg

20210417_153309.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-153633_Gallery.jpg

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Getting closer to delivery day but still a few weeks out... so I was thinking, one of the things that really bugs me about cars with quad tip exhausts is that one of the two tips in each pair gets coated with soot more than the other. Would ceramic coating the inside of the tips would make them easier to clean? Soot is a total pain to scrub / polish off.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mike: My amateur opinion with only a couple experiences with ceramic would be that coating the tips inside and out would SLIGHTLY help remove the soot. For sure it could only help the situation AS LONG AS you buff ALL the visible indications of the coating off. If not, the soot could adhere to the rough ceramic surface and actually increase the amount to be cleaned.

Of course, it goes without saying that the tips need to be perfectly clean (Brillo pad + IPA wipe down) AND, they are at ambient temperature before applying the coating.

Finally, to get the most out of the ceramic, you will need to let the tips cure for 24 hours without an engine start.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Getting closer to delivery day but still a few weeks out... so I was thinking, one of the things that really bugs me about cars with quad tip exhausts is that one of the two tips in each pair gets coated with soot more than the other. Would ceramic coating the inside of the tips would make them easier to clean? Soot is a total pain to scrub / polish off.
If you intend to ceramic coat your exhaust tips, I would be using a coating with a higher temperature rating usually reserved for wheels. CarPro DLUX or Gtechniq C5 for example.
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/coll...heel-plastic-coating#manufacturer-description
https://theragcompany.com/collections/gtechniq-coatings-protection/products/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armour

For exhaust tips, the key to keeping the soot from building up is regular cleaning. I wash them after I have done the wheels at each wash. If needed, I will also hit them with some wheel cleaner.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, in spite of chickening out on the hard part, hoping it still looks better than the average off-the-lot car. On a scale of 1-to-10 on the waiting for delivery anxiety I'm at an 11, come on June 9!!!!!
Today I look back on this and laugh... actually had to look a long time to find it, because I have forgotten what needs done. Car ended up being 4 months late - FINALLY picking it up tomorrow and plan to ceramic coat it right away. Never even opened the boxes I bought in April, hope I can find them!

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OK ceramic coating is done. Observations from a first timer:

1) There were 10 miles on the car, which made washing a breeze. But this step could be really time consuming for a car with a lot of smashed bugs and tar on it.

2) Because the car was not shipped by rail, I did not use iron remover.

3) The Eraser prep spray was very easy to use.

4) The CQuartz 3.0 UK wasn't super difficult but was very time consuming, doing a small section, waiting for it to flash, and then wiping. It looks like you are hardly putting anything on the applicator but it's still really easy to use too much and then it's harder to wipe off because it just kind of smears around.

5) I did no paint correction because it was brand new, but reflections of objects would definitely be much sharper if I had done that. Wasn't going for that level of show-quality finish so no problem there, I just want protection from swirl marks and stains, and to make washing it easier.

6) It did not make the matte hood decal shiny.

7) I did the whole thing in one day and am very pleased with the shine, although it's hard to tell if it's any shinier than it was after dealer prep for delivery.

8) Because of using the applicator block and having to remove the excess after flashing, it would be very difficult and time consuming to do the handling package wheels. Will tackle that in the spring before taking the winter wheels off, unless I sell them first. Removed the handling package wheels already to make prep and coating as easy as possible.

9) In terms of cost vs benefit, I give it an A+!

Thanks to all of you who helped me to formulate a plan and buy supplies!

1A18AD43-A7EF-4370-89AA-9DE69F358D83.jpeg

139BA78E-2E1E-4517-AFF0-DD7F5FEB5F16.jpeg

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

1) There were 10 miles on the car, which made washing a breeze. But this step could be really time consuming for a car with a lot of smashed bugs and tar on it.

4) The CQuartz 3.0 UK wasn't super difficult but was very time consuming, doing a small section, waiting for it to flash, and then wiping. It looks like you are hardly putting anything on the applicator but it's still really easy to use too much and then it's harder to wipe off because it just kind of smears around.

5) I did no paint correction because it was brand new, but reflections of objects would definitely be much sharper if I had done that. Wasn't going for that level of show-quality finish so no problem there, I just want protection from swirl marks and stains, and to make washing it easier.

7) I did the whole thing in one day and am very pleased with the shine, although it's hard to tell if it's any shinier than it was after dealer prep for delivery.

8) Because of using the applicator block and having to remove the excess after flashing, it would be very difficult and time consuming to do the handling package wheels. Will tackle that in the spring before taking the winter wheels off, unless I sell them first. Removed the handling package wheels already to make prep and coating as easy as possible.

Nice work, well done! :clap:

Silver really highlights the body lines of the S550.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
OP: I don't know enough technically to make a recommendation but my guess is, the same old adage is true here,

"You get what you pay for."

No doubt there are some exceptions to the rule based on rep rather than performance but me thinks that if you buy a well-known, quality coating, you can't go far wrong. That said, a coating is only as good as the applicator. It is time-consuming and tough on the arms and shoulders but IMHO, the end result is worth it ten times over. MUCH easier cleaning with some protection from stains, mild marring, etc.

So, let your wallet be your guide and good luck. Just be CERTAIN to remove ALL the product when buffing. If you don't, you'll have rock hard ceramic grit on the paint the next day. Ask me how I know. :-)

Sponsored

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge

For coating the wheels, you don’t need the block. For my business, I don’t even bother with the block and small fabric that comes with it. I use 4x6 microfiber applicators as it makes it much easier to get into the tight areas.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Washed the car today for the first time since applying the CQuartz ceramic, and I have never seen water shed off a vehicle like this! Amazing. Had to call my neighbor across the street over to take a look, he's going to try it on his M4. Made washing it a breeze. What a great product.

BTW @kilobravo I clicked your "all the avatars" link for the first time and was honored to see that you snuck a silver Mach 1 into all the GT500's LOL! Although with that black hood nobody would know unless they've seen that particular car before.

788060A6-64D9-42B9-9AB4-FE50EA9A53B8.jpeg

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Super Duty F250

Man that car looks so beautiful!
Sponsored