Sponsored

Professional Ceramic Coating - Which Would You Choose?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
how the heck would you polish these before ceramic???

Short of spending a week polishing by hand, Mike, there is really only one way...with a mini polisher. And even with one of these it can take awhile.

1617709622681.png
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Short of spending a week polishing by hand, Mike, there is really only one way...with a mini polisher. And even with one of these it can take awhile.
Ugh. Well I'm not going for shine on the wheels, only coating them to make cleaning easier so I'll wash, iron remover and Eraser prep then ceramic. Thanks!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ugh. Well I'm not going for shine on the wheels, only coating them to make cleaning easier so I'll wash, iron remover and Eraser prep then ceramic. Thanks!
Mike, the shine is the payoff for your hard work. Those wheels are gorgeous. Aren't they worth your time and effort. Those cone tools really reduce the amount of time and labor and are inexpensive too boot. Don't cheap out on us know. We're watching you. :giggle:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mike, the shine is the payoff for your hard work. Those wheels are gorgeous. Aren't they worth your time and effort. Those cone tools really reduce the amount of time and labor and are inexpensive too boot. Don't cheap out on us now. We're watching you. :giggle:
Sigh... :crackup: OK I'll look into it when (if???) the car ever gets here. :curse: It sounds like hand polishing would be a time commitment I probably wouldn't make but if there is a tool that can machine polish them I'll consider that. I did look at mini polishers like the one in KB's pic but the ones I saw are pretty expensive, wonder if I can use a cone wheel on my cordless drill? I think the wheels are a matte finish too, but not sure. I can run my PP2 wheels and tires on it while I'm working on these Mach wheels if needed. P.S. My wife thinks I am weird because of not being able to fall asleep thinking about the ceramic plan of attack LOL.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You wouldn't polish them because they're a satin or matte finish. Just clean and coat.
I was wondering about that, they do look matte in the pics.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Wives will do that sorta thing but then, they don't understand any more about automobiles than we do about makeup, hair coloring, and fashion. <grin> And yes, I think you could use a cone on a cordless drill. You will probably still have to do some hand polishing but if you don't want to throw a big chunk of dough at a mini-polisher, I think your idea might be the next best way.

I suppose it goes without saying that removing the wheels makes for much better (and easier) cleaning and polishing.

I'd go with either M205 or Sonax Final Finish for compounds. Just be careful and start out with the slower speed on the drill until you're comfortable.

Good luck..

Last edited:

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo after rehashing Professional PPF and Ceramic Coating vs DIY for the last couple of months, I dropped my car yesterday for the work to be started. My Bullittt is for the most part my DD, log about 350 miles per week. I researched and spoke to four different shops and landed on a Ft Lauderdale shop that performs all of the work for the local Lamborghini dealership. Here's how the pricing breaks out: Two step paint correction, Front clip Xpel PPF ( front bumper, headlights, fenders, hood and mirrors). IGL quartz Ceramic on the entire car including the wheels (taken off for best prep) and all of the glass. The total cost is $3440.00. Justification of the cost.......with the miles I drive and enjoying the car I know chips are going to happen from rocks etc. If you have to have paint work done, say just on the front of the car, color matching may be an issue. Then if you have to paint the hood and blend to the fenders...on and on. Its a boatload of money but for me once I committed, there has been no second guessing. I bought my car to drive and enjoy it and with that comes a cost of ownership and maintenance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Soooo after rehashing Professional PPF and Ceramic Coating vs DIY for the last couple of months, I dropped my car yesterday for the work to be started. My Bullittt is for the most part my DD, log about 350 miles per week. I researched and spoke to four different shops and landed on a Ft Lauderdale shop that performs all of the work from the local Lamborghini dealership. Here's how the pricing breaks out: Two step paint correction, Front clip Xpel PPF ( front bumper, headlights, fenders, hood and mirrors). IGL quartz Ceramic on the entire car including the wheels (taken off for best prep) and all of the glass. The total cost is $3440.00. Justification of the cost.......with the miles I drive and enjoying the car I know chips are going to happen from rocks etc. If you have to have paint work done, say just on the front of the car, color matching may be an issue. Then if you have to paint the hood and blend to the fenders...on and on. Its a boatload of money but for me once I committed, there has been no second guessing. I bought my car to drive and enjoy it and with that comes a cost of ownership and maintenance.
Sounds good - I had the same thought: I want to _drive_ the car... and I don't want to (overly) worry about it while I do it. Taking it on a road trip this weekend: 4 hours each way through the mountains (can't wait!).

Your price seems pretty in line with mine. It was ~$2300 for ceramic coating and front PPF (but somewhat less PPF than yours - I didn't do the whole hood, and somewhat less ceramic: I didn't do the wheels).

It's a lot of money, but it buys a lot of piece of mind too.

Let us know how it turns out!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Soooo after rehashing Professional PPF and Ceramic Coating vs DIY for the last couple of months, I dropped my car yesterday for the work to be started. My Bullittt is for the most part my DD, log about 350 miles per week. I researched and spoke to four different shops and landed on a Ft Lauderdale shop that performs all of the work for the local Lamborghini dealership. Here's how the pricing breaks out: Two step paint correction, Front clip Xpel PPF ( front bumper, headlights, fenders, hood and mirrors). IGL quartz Ceramic on the entire car including the wheels (taken off for best prep) and all of the glass. The total cost is $3440.00. Justification of the cost.......with the miles I drive and enjoying the car I know chips are going to happen from rocks etc. If you have to have paint work done, say just on the front of the car, color matching may be an issue. Then if you have to paint the hood and blend to the fenders...on and on. Its a boatload of money but for me once I committed, there has been no second guessing. I bought my car to drive and enjoy it and with that comes a cost of ownership and maintenance.
No justification necessary. It's your baby and you want to keep it in the best possible condition. I do have one recommendation from past experience. Do the "A" pillars (which included the top of the roof). I do not know why but they are rock magnets. My unprotected 15' EB took a hit right down to the bare metal. My 19' GT/CS which is protected took a hit and you can barely see a mark in the film. I think it cost $100.00,

Sponsored

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No justification necessary. It's your baby and you want to keep it in the best possible condition. I do have one recommendation from past experience. Do the "A" pillars (which included the top of the roof). I do not know why but they are rock magnets. My unprotected 15' EB took a hit right down to the bare metal. My 19' GT/CS which is protected took a hit and you can barely see a mark in the film. I think it cost $100.00,
Added it, you were right on, an extra C Note.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Update: I don't think I'll be polishing before ceramic, even though it's a better way to go.

My wife's car was rear-ended in December. This past weekend I had chance to wash it for the first time since it was repaired and in the sun I saw lots of weird foggy shadows in the paint.

Today I took it to a local body shop that I trust (wanted them to repair it originally but the effing insurance company pointed me elsewhere). They explained and showed me all the imperfections that had been caused by poor polishing technique, like burn marks at edges, inconsistent polishing at different areas of the same body panel, spiderwebs everywhere, etc.

At this age I know that I am not artistically talented. I can fix any car, repair any appliance, solder any pipe, wire any outlet. But anything that has to look good - no. Baseboard mitre cuts? Drywall spackle sanding? Laying brick? Painting? I suck at all that stuff. I am not willing to make the Mach (again, if it EVER arrives) a training tool. Will still Iron-X, prep, and ceramic the day it comes home from the dealer. Makes me sad to say, but hells no on hitting it with the polisher. Will be returning that polisher to Harbor Freight.

That's how experience works. You learn your limitations.

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I don't think I'll be polishing before ceramic, even though it's a better way to go.

My wife's car was rear-ended in December. This past weekend I had chance to wash it for the first time since it was repaired and in the sun I saw lots of weird foggy shadows in the paint.

Today I took it to a local body shop that I trust (wanted them to repair it originally but the effing insurance company pointed me elsewhere). They explained and showed me all the imperfections that had been caused by poor polishing technique, like burn marks at edges, inconsistent polishing at different areas of the same body panel, spiderwebs everywhere, etc.

At this age I know that I am not artistically talented. I can fix any car, repair any appliance, solder any pipe, wire any outlet. But anything that has to look good - no. Baseboard mitre cuts? Drywall spackle sanding? Laying brick? Painting? I suck at all that stuff. I am not willing to make the Mach (again, if it EVER arrives) a training tool. Will still Iron-X, prep, and ceramic the day it comes home from the dealer. Makes me sad to say, but hells no on hitting it with the polisher. Will be returning that polisher to Harbor Freight.

Well without getting into that too deep its ok. Improper bodyshop work is way different than some alone time in your garage. However thats ok if you are not confident in the job at hand.

Try and get some decon soap, then iron remover and then auto scurb...should be about as clean as she gets without polish then. Use a panel wipe to clean and apply coating. 16x16 area, two-three towels to remove, making sure to wipe 10-12 inches away from the panel you just did just incase you dragged some coating around.

Let sit for 24 hours... stand back and admire :)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Exactly why I let a pro do it. I’m 100% sure your car is going to come out great. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished beauty.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Exactly why I let a pro do it. I’m 100% sure your car is going to come out great. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished beauty.
Thanks guys, in spite of chickening out on the hard part, hoping it still looks better than the average off-the-lot car. On a scale of 1-to-10 on the waiting for delivery anxiety I'm at an 11, come on June 9!!!!!
Sponsored