Sponsored

Product to make matte vinyl stripe more glossy?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I had bird poop on the matte stripe on my Mach 1 that must have happened after I got home from work last night. I tried to carefully get it off when I noticed it this morning but it was almost etched in and while it did come off, the "rubbed" spot is now shiny.

I am now wondering if it is possible to just put something on the whole stripe to make it more glossy, so at least it is uniform?
Sponsored

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Did you use any product to remove it or is it just glossy after wipe-off?
Yeah, the, what seemed like etched spot, was not coming off with just a wet microfiber so I did end up using a little Meguiar's Ultimate Compund. The etched (basically a white circle) did come out but I did create the "shiny spot" by doing it.

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
Yes there is! You must mask off the vinyl perfectly first, but it's an easy task. I have done this before and it will come out fine I promise. You will need to buy wipe-on poly at a hardware store, or home depot etc. Practice with it first on something you can scrap. I used a soft rag to apply it. Don't slop it on, just glide it on quickly, make sure you have covered the entire surface, then stop, don't try to go over it again... the solvent evaporates quickly. It will self level and when dry it will leave the gloss you are looking for. You can choose either satin or high gloss when you are shopping. Good luck!

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the, what seemed like etched spot, was not coming off with just a wet microfiber so I did end up using a little Meguiar's Ultimate Compund. The etched (basically a white circle) did come out but I did create the "shiny spot" by doing it.
Never use "compound" anything on your car plastic parts, decals, stripes, etc. It is too aggressive. You have effectively polished the stripe, which is why it is glossy.

You can go the solvent route that @Jerry Carguy mentioned or use a Torqx orbital with something like Chemical Guys V38. In either case, tape off your paint so you don't impact car finish.

Sponsored

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm suprised I've had many a bird strike on my matte stripes and its come off with no ill effects. I just use water and my normal car soap

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I'm suprised I've had many a bird strike on my matte stripes and its come off with no ill effects. I just use water and my normal car soap
Me too, it's not the first time that bird poop has been on the stripe and it hasn't been an issue coming off before.

It *could* have been something else this time I guess but I have no idea what else it could have been (I don't park under any trees, so I don't think it could have been tree sap.)

Whatever it was, it wasn't coming off easily and was about the size of a quarter.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Yes there is! You must mask off the vinyl perfectly first, but it's an easy task. I have done this before and it will come out fine I promise. You will need to buy wipe-on poly at a hardware store, or home depot etc. Practice with it first on something you can scrap. I used a soft rag to apply it. Don't slop it on, just glide it on quickly, make sure you have covered the entire surface, then stop, don't try to go over it again... the solvent evaporates quickly. It will self level and when dry it will leave the gloss you are looking for. You can choose either satin or high gloss when you are shopping. Good luck!
Just to make sure that I am looking at the same wipe-on poly that you are talking about, it is this one? I just want to make sure since it only references wood.

1691234472192.png

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I had bird poop on the matte stripe on my Mach 1 that must have happened after I got home from work last night. I tried to carefully get it off when I noticed it this morning but it was almost etched in and while it did come off, the "rubbed" spot is now shiny.

I am now wondering if it is possible to just put something on the whole stripe to make it more glossy, so at least it is uniform?
Apparently bird droppings work ;)

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Just to make sure that I am looking at the same wipe-on poly that you are talking about, it is this one? I just want to make sure since it only references wood.

1691234472192.png
Yes, it's the same one I used. Too bad you have to buy a whole quart. But, hey it's for the Mustang. Maybe start a new hobby?!😂

Sponsored

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
here is the high gloss on vinyl ..front splitter from my corvette.. came out great
1691291679726.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Clay: BE SURE THE TAPE IS SEALED ON THE EDGES, you dang sure don't want that stuff on the clear coat and, when you brush it on with a rag, be sure to wipe from the edges inward so you don't push poly under the tape.

Personally, I would just polish the stripes if you want a slightly more glossy finish but you'll never get the gloss that I see on Jerry's wing. Again, you'll need to tape them off IF you don't want to polish the entire car but honestly, you can get stripes pretty glossy with just compound and a polisher. I had a '14 with vinyl and when I sold it, the stripes were nearly as glossy as the clear coat.

Have you polished the paint? If not, the Poly may make your stripes TOO glossy, i.e., noticeably shinier than the car so, as suggested, absolutely, positively test first on another piece of similar vinyl.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Clay: BE SURE THE TAPE IS SEALED ON THE EDGES, you dang sure don't want that stuff on the clear coat and, when you brush it on with a rag, be sure to wipe from the edges inward so you don't push poly under the tape.

Personally, I would just polish the stripes if you want a slightly more glossy finish but you'll never get the gloss that I see on Jerry's wing. Again, you'll need to tape them off IF you don't want to polish the entire car but honestly, you can get stripes pretty glossy with just compound and a polisher. I had a '14 with vinyl and when I sold it, the stripes were nearly as glossy as the clear coat.

Have you polished the paint? If not, the Poly may make your stripes TOO glossy, i.e., noticeably shinier than the car so, as suggested, absolutely, positively test first on another piece of similar vinyl.
Thanks and no, the paint hasn't been polished (unless you consider Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Coating as polish).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Gotcha Clay and no, I was referring to a DA polisher and compound. Let me just say that if you were to have it polished by a shop, I can almost guarantee that you will be surprised at the result. I realize it's not an inexpensive option but the results can be amazing.

1691395657300.png

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Well, I had to run to Home Depot for something so I did grab some satin wipe-on poly, taped off the sticker and used an old t-shirt to apply it...but trying to just apply one light, even coat was about impossible. I'll let it dry but am about positive that it is going to look like a streaky mess.
Sponsored