Sponsored

Procharger Blips on Startup and Stalls

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
So got the stage 1 procharger ho complete kit from beefcake and worked with a friend who has a shop all day yesterday getting the kit on. This is a 15 GT with ~20k miles. Went very smoothly all the way up until we tried our first start. Car blips to a bit over 1k RPMs and than stalls. There was a MAF sensor error. Cleared the code and tried again but same thing. No more sensor errors from that point on though. My friend works on a lot of boosted cars and said if it will run with maf unplugged its likely a boost leak. Sure enough we unplugged it and started and idled just fine. We then shut it off and hooked up a smoke tester. We did find some leaks but got those quickly resolved. Go to start it up and same thing. Blips to a bit over 1k and stalls. Emailed Procharger tuning about the issue, but if anyone has had any similar issues and was able to resolve it let me know. This is flustering big time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reconnected everything. Same issue still. Seems to run super rich when it blips and with maf unplugged idling. Starting to feel like it is likely in the tune. Anyone ever have procharger send them the wrong tune? I asked beefcake about the injectors as the part number (0 280 158 279 Bosch) says 547 and not 550, but they said thats fine. At this point not sure what else it could be... sucks as drove a considerable distance for this :'(

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Are you using the stock MAF? Reason I ask is because I remember hearing of an issue where a boosted car wasn't running right and it turned out the MAF installed was actually the MAF from a PMAS no tune required intake. They provide their own MAF with the correct scaling so you don't have to install a tune to get it to run correctly.

Assuming you are running the stock MAF, it's not impossible that Procharger sen't you the wrong tune. Datalog it and send it back to them. That should tell them what the problem is. If they can't get it sorted out I would go to an aftermarket tuner like Lund. An aftermarket tune will be way better than the canned procharger tune, both in terms of power and driveability.

Also what other mods are done to the car besides the Procharger? Maybe there is something you forget to tell them that is causing the issue.

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found that same thread with the PMAS MAF. Its the stock Ford MAF though. Inspected it after I read that thread. Only other mods are corsa sport catback. I could log without the maf plugged in, but not sure how useful that would be. It only blips the throttle for a half second and stalls with the maf plugged in. Might be hard to log that.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Is your MAF located in the charge pipe or the intercooler?

Sponsored

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Is the MAF facing the correct direction? Really not sure on that setup if it's reversible but have been there done that with my old Vortech T-trim and MAF issues.

Hope it's something simple.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I know procharger switched to locating the MAF in the intake charge pipe instead of the intercooler not too long ago

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/procharger-maf-location-why-the-change.123137/

Perhaps your tune is setup for it being in the charge pipe instead of the intercooler. Also like
GeigerZ said, check to make sure it is oriented correctly. pretty sure you can only install it one way, but should be double checked.

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the MAF facing the correct direction? Really not sure on that setup if it's reversible but have been there done that with my old Vortech T-trim and MAF issues.

Hope it's something simple.
It can only be orientated one direction.
I wonder if something is wrong with the MAF extension harness
We used a multimeter to check female to male on every wire on the extension and it seems fine.
I know procharger switched to locating the MAF in the intake charge pipe instead of the intercooler not too long ago

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/procharger-maf-location-why-the-change.123137/

Perhaps your tune is setup for it being in the charge pipe instead of the intercooler. Also like
GeigerZ said, check to make sure it is oriented correctly. pretty sure you can only install it one way, but should be double checked.
I am wondering the same as well. Hopefully Procharger will get back to me quickly on Monday.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Just go with a Lund or Palm beach email tune.. they’ll get you up and running, then log with them for power and drivability..

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
So got the stage 1 procharger ho complete kit from beefcake and worked with a friend who has a shop all day yesterday getting the kit on. This is a 15 GT with ~20k miles. Went very smoothly all the way up until we tried our first start. Car blips to a bit over 1k RPMs and than stalls. There was a MAF sensor error. Cleared the code and tried again but same thing. No more sensor errors from that point on though. My friend works on a lot of boosted cars and said if it will run with maf unplugged its likely a boost leak. Sure enough we unplugged it and started and idled just fine. We then shut it off and hooked up a smoke tester. We did find some leaks but got those quickly resolved. Go to start it up and same thing. Blips to a bit over 1k and stalls. Emailed Procharger tuning about the issue, but if anyone has had any similar issues and was able to resolve it let me know. This is flustering big time.
I'm betting you got the tune for the MAF being in the tube, Since Procharger doesn't sell the kit with the MAF in the intercooler anymore. Maybe Beefcake had your kit in stock from before the change was made.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Which exact kit did you purchase? The 50 state carb legal kits (HO and stage 2) do indeed still have the MAF located in the IC.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Not on a sunday they won't.
did you try? Ive seen plenty of posts when they’ve responded to guys on Sunday and the wee hours of morning.
Sponsored