Sponsored

Problems found on Australian Mustangs

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
I was listening to the Rumour file this morning on radio 3AW, and a there was a caller who reported paint problems with Mustangs. He said that his was being attended to, but suggested owners look carefully all over their cars to ensure they don't have issue. I gathered the issue he found were not in readily visible locations.
Yep I heard the knob this morning. He never really specified what kind of paint issues. Made out as if every Mustang that has been shipped has them. I wouldn't be surprised if he drove a Holden or the knob lurks on this website.
Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
msweet directed me to the UK forum checklist.

I've added a few things. Aside from test drive for noises etc., can anyone think of anything else?
Food stuff Frostee!

Check the third brake light is properly aligned. Some are narrower at one corner. Not an easy fix though. Might have to tolerate a small difference I'd say.

Check it doesn't have a 'stepping on a loose manhole' sound when putting into gear or into research (rear transmission flange issue/driveshaft apparently).

Check they haven't put on those hideous plate holders if you didn't want them (although I think that was sort of covered on the list).

I'll be asking NOT to have wheel lock nuts put on. Not worth it from previous pain experienced with this (the key broke and could not find a replacement for an XR6T). I'm not going to be parking it in the Bronx or East LA.

I though that wiring loom issue has now been sorted?

And as for overspray underneath, can one really ask the dealer to stick it on the hoist? Or do you need to do that under your own steam?

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Food stuff Frostee!

Check the third brake light is properly aligned. Some are narrower at one corner. Not an easy fix though. Might have to tolerate a small difference I'd say.

Check it doesn't have a 'stepping on a loose manhole' sound when putting into gear or into research (rear transmission flange issue/driveshaft apparently).

Check they haven't put on those hideous plate holders if you didn't want them (although I think that was sort of covered on the list).

I'll be asking NOT to have wheel lock nuts put on. Not worth it from previous pain experienced with this (the key broke and could not find a replacement for an XR6T). I'm not going to be parking it in the Bronx or East LA.

I though that wiring loom issue has now been sorted?

Edit: Also, I will group items into logical groups for easier reference

And as for overspray underneath, can one really ask the dealer to stick it on the hoist? Or do you need to do that under your own steam?

I'll be asking NOT to have wheel lock nuts put on - good point I didn't consider this

And as for overspray underneath, can one really ask the dealer to stick it on the hoist? Or do you need to do that under your own steam? - again a very good point. I'm not particularly fussed re this and won't be including it. I'll leave it on the list in case others are so inclined.

Rather than keep reposting the list, from here on I will capture additional feedback such as yours and update the list. I'll re-post it in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be asking NOT to have wheel lock nuts put on - good point I didn't consider this

And as for overspray underneath, can one really ask the dealer to stick it on the hoist? Or do you need to do that under your own steam? - again a very good point. I'm not particularly fussed re this and won't be including it. I'll leave it on the list in case others are so inclined.

Rather than keep reposting the list, from here on I will capture additional feedback such as yours and update the list. I'll re-post it in a couple of weeks.
Good idea. I'll definitely be referring to it if the bloody thing ever arrives. I'm kind of keen to look underneath, but maybe I'll do this elsewhere. I have been thinking about taking the thing to a local mechanic I trust and who knows Fords (not new Mustangs) and getting him to put it on the hoist. Have also heard about some rust issues underneath (more lies and paranoia??).

Next house I buy is getting a hoist put in, with a big shed.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea. I'll definitely be referring to it if the bloody thing ever arrives. I'm kind of keen to look underneath, but maybe I'll do this elsewhere. I have been thinking about taking the thing to a local mechanic I trust and who knows Fords (not new Mustangs) and getting him to put it on the hoist. Have also heard about some rust issues underneath (more lies and paranoia??).

Next house I buy is getting a hoist put in, with a big shed.
I've heard about rust only where the chassis has been scratched by some loading system off the line. Something to do with export? There's been a suggestion that this is one of the reasons for the black paint sprayed everywhere?
As far as I knew the cars were driven onto the ship but maybe it occurs during the truck phase?

Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard about rust only where the chassis has been scratched by some loading system off the line. Something to do with export? There's been a suggestion that this is one of the reasons for the black paint sprayed everywhere?
As far as I knew the cars were driven onto the ship but maybe it occurs during the truck phase?
I wonder if it happens rolling the cars off and on the ship?

Could be all rubbish for all I know.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it happens rolling the cars off and on the ship?

Could be all rubbish for all I know.
As far as the underside of the car hitting something on the ship I wouldn't think so.
But, I've seen how the arseholes "working" at the port drive cars off the ship. Getting all four wheels in the air as they launch new cars down the ramp!?!
Hopefully there's a "Valet" cal. loaded into the cars to limit this? maybe not?
I suppose if you get an exact delivery time for ship unload you could wait and observe the unload. If you determine your car got launched, cancel the order at the dealer before it arrives there.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw my dealer indicated that one of his demo cars was damaged in that way. I didn't get to see it on a hoist though.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Hopefully there's a "Valet" cal. loaded into the cars to limit this? maybe not?
The car is in "transport mode" when you collect from the dealer. My salesman let me turn that off in my pre-delivery inspection, it's quite a process. Don't know exactly what it limits though.

tantash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anne
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang GT V8 convertible
They go by 'rail' from the Flat Rock to Baltimore port. Perhaps they actually use some chains to secure them during the train voyage.

Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw my dealer indicated that one of his demo cars was damaged in that way. I didn't get to see it on a hoist though.
A Mustang or other car?

Mrford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT DIB
Does anyone know if we have a feature that when you drive the doors automatically lock ?

Not sure if it's a thing on the mustang... All my previous car did it

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
It seems the US cars do auto-lock at >15mph. If you search the general forum, you will see a few threads on the subject of stopping them auto-locking (but they quickly degenerate into a slanging match about the stupidity of seatbelts yada-yada-yada and are not helpful). There's even a link to a general Ford video on how to turn the auto-lock feature on and off, but the poster couldn't get it to work on his Mustang, and neither can I.

VNE000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Comp. Orange (Delivered Aug 2016)

If you do have the locking wheel nuts make sure the key is supplied!
Sponsored