Prices are on the rise......

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ‘19 GT350
The HEP included Wimbledon White paint, Guardsman Blue side and over-the-top racing stripes, all black seats with red stitching and some badges. There is nothing of performance substance, nothing that took engineering effort or increased materials cost. That is my issue with it.

I appreciate the throwback/heritage element. For me that’s not worth much of anything but I understand for others who were around when the original Shelbys were being made that it is special. I am just saying that I’m surprised that drives a 70% premium in the value of the car. $100K vs. $170K is a huge delta. The HEP only cost $2K originally!

I think what this all gets to is that there are some people who own this car and are in this community for the heritage and history of the Mustang line and Shelby models; there are others (like me) who are just here because the car is a great performer. That’s one of the special things about this car - it has attracted enthusiasts from so many backgrounds, including people who mostly drove European cars, like myself.
I think the hidden/overlooked value is in HERP’es lack of color pigments which makes the paint lighter and therefore the fastest color combo. Thus the premium you have to pay for HERP’es..

DISCLAIMER: I may have made that up and I just wanted to slip in herpes in place of HEPR’s.
Sponsored

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
With there being no vin difference between a 2020 350R and a 350R HEP but a huge price difference, I’m wondering how this effect insurance. Will all 2020 350r owners see a jump in premiums? If a 2020 350r gets totaled with they luck out from the hep’s pushing the average up? If a 350r hep gets totaled will the owner get screwed will out an agreed value policy?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
White is such a forgettable color too. As far as insurance goes all R are the same, underwriters wouldn't know a black one from a white. Frankly I doubt they would make a distinction between gt3&0 vs R except for the carbon wheels which is the only useful difference between the trims.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
And then if gas engines go away entirely the values could rocket skyward.
Ford recently patented a designed for a hydrogen powered engine. I believe Toyota is also hard at work on a hydrogen engine. The V8 may not be dead yet.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
White is such a forgettable color too. As far as insurance goes all R are the same, underwriters wouldn't know a black one from a white. Frankly I doubt they would make a distinction between gt3&0 vs R except for the carbon wheels which is the only useful difference between the trims.
Haggerty’s knows the difference my HEP R is insured for $150k and that value was established by Haggerty’s. They would only insure my base 2021 GT500 to $90k. This is collector car insurance and I am limited on miles driven to 3k per year.

Sponsored

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT350, GT350R HEP, GT500 HE CFTP, 23 Raptor R
The HEP included Wimbledon White paint, Guardsman Blue side and over-the-top racing stripes, all black seats with red stitching and some badges. There is nothing of performance substance, nothing that took engineering effort or increased materials cost. That is my issue with it.

I appreciate the throwback/heritage element. For me that’s not worth much of anything but I understand for others who were around when the original Shelbys were being made that it is special. I am just saying that I’m surprised that drives a 70% premium in the value of the car. $100K vs. $170K is a huge delta. The HEP only cost $2K originally!

I think what this all gets to is that there are some people who own this car and are in this community for the heritage and history of the Mustang line and Shelby models; there are others (like me) who are just here because the car is a great performer. That’s one of the special things about this car - it has attracted enthusiasts from so many backgrounds, including people who mostly drove European cars, like myself.
Man. I don’t know how old you are, but I’m in my early 40’s. I wasn’t around when the original Shelby’s were being made. I did see some at car shows when I was growing up and fell in love. I was an 80’s/90’s kid. There wasn’t a lot of nice stuff to look at during those years. Definitely not a lot that’s awe inspiring. We had to look back to the 60’s to see something awesome.

I agree with your point regarding this car crossing boundaries of fans. I have a lot of friends of mine that love imports and Euro cars. They also love the 350R. It’s a special car and this shows why the appeal is so wide. There aren’t enough to fulfill that demand, thus the price wars.

To put it in perspective however, it seems that most sports cars are doubling in pre-covid value. I had a checklist of wishlist cars and they are getting nuts in prices

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT350, GT350R HEP, GT500 HE CFTP, 23 Raptor R
Haggerty’s knows the difference my HEP R is insured for $150k and that value was established by Haggerty’s. They would only insure my base 2021 GT500 to $90k. This is collector car insurance and I am limited on miles driven to 3k per year.
Same.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I get that, which makes them ever more special than a package that's only cosmetic, such as the Ford GT Heritage and HEPR. The point is that these packages (this includes only cosmetic changes) place these cars into different groups that are separated from traditional color specs. If the HEPR had weight reduction and other performance modifications then I suggest that they would command even higher premiums than they are currently.
I guess that's my thing... They should have done one or the other - made the package more interesting or reduced production. As it is, they made 280 and didn't change enough, IMO.

Either way - Im beating a dead horse and it's just an opinion, so lets' move on and hope all of these keep going up and then HODL :)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You didn’t pay extra for a Base R like the Porsche guys pay for Weissach. The GT350R is the weight reduction version of the GT350, and the higher priced version. If you have a Base R, you just paid less for less options. Weissach cars start stripped, but owners can, and often do, add options that increase weight for comfort. Your argument lacks the support of facts lol.
The Base R is the Carrera RS - That car is worth more than most of the other 911 variants made then. Porsche sold it for less than the C2 just for enthusiasts...Porche has went on to say that is the last time they would ever sell a base/lightweight version of a car for less than the standard - as it's worth 3-4x of the standard car and all it has is (I think) a 10-15hp increase and a bunch of light weight options/tweaks.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
1648640755405.png

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The Heritage was the most significant package ever made for modern Shelby’s because you have to understand the significance of this “Color Package.” Every single Shelby Mustang in year 1, 1965, was painted Wimbledon White. You couldn’t get a Shelby Mustang in a different Color in year 1. The highest performance Shelby of the 60’s, the GT500 Supersnake, which was a 1 off car, was also painted Wimbledon White. I used to own the first Shelby Hertz car that was a non-prototype car, Serial Number 6S440. It was also painted Wimbledon White. This is the most significant color from a Shelby Heritage perspective than any other.

Since Ford reintroduced the Shelby Mustang in 2007, they have not offered the Original Color on any modern Shelby.

This is why the 2020 GT350 and R Heritage Package is so significant. The Brittney Blue GT500’s are one of the colors that the 67 GT500 was available in, but it wasn’t the only color. Considering the most expensive and high performance Shelby of 1967 was not painted Brittney Blue, I don’t get how that color is locked in as the one selected as the Heritage Color for the GT500.

If you weren’t aware exactly how special this package was from a historical perspective, hopefully this will help you to understand why it commands such a high premium. When I first found out this package was available, I knew it was the one modern Shelby I wanted more than any other. I love the new GT500’s, but they will not connect the same was as this car did to me.

When I first sat behind the wheel of mine and drove the car, it was an emotional experience for me. I HATED selling my 66. I really hope I can get it back one day, but when I started driving this car and saw the shape of the fender from inside the car and the color of the paint and Guardsman Blue Stripe, I felt for a moment all of these connections that brought me back to my 66. I didn’t cry, but man it choked me up. I didn’t expect that. When I bought the 66 from the previous owner, that had it for over 40 years, I expected to own it for the same amount of time. When times got tough and I had to let it go to keep some of my workers paid, I felt like I failed the previous owner. That’s why I asked the guy that I sold it to to give me first dibs if he ever sold it. He promised me he would, but then he flipped the car. I asked him who he sold it to and he said, I can’t remember, some guy in Monterey, California. When he told me that, I felt angry and betrayed.

There are people with deep connections to these cars. To the History of these cars. A bright green or Orange GT350/R may look awesome, but it won’t click those senses.

This is why the 2020 Shelby GT350 and R’s are the end of an icon. The end of an era. It all started with the GT350 and R’s of 65. Bill Ford and Co did right for the GT350, and Shelby. Anyone that has one of these should be proud. Very Proud. They own a piece of something bigger than a simple color option. They own an incredible homage to history
The cars we purchase are reflections of an emotion going back to our younger days. For you, that is the Wimbledon white cars and apparently a lot of other people as well hence the price spikes. Foe the rest of us, its a head scratcher. From a historical perspective, it is a very minor part of the overall Shelby History but, yes, a part. I would argue the entire modern GT350 in all forms is the biggest connection to the history of the original car and a very true successor. Others would argue its a Ford and therefore its not close. To each his own. For me, I dont care for white. Brittany Blue is killer. Tastes. Others think the Base R is the closest to the original R and that argument has some merit as well. The cars all mean something to their owners and no one should try to validate their choices by representing theirs as fact rather than opinion or personal tastes. Happy you love the HEP, that's the way it should be!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
You guys are kerfluffling over nothing
 no one here dictates what sell prices are, the market does.

Regardless of your trivial meanderings into attempting to explain “emotion” as the factors, which is ridiculous, the market has set the price of the cars where they are. Don’t believe it?
 then ask Hagerty why theyre willing to insure a HEPR to the amounts they are?

let’s see
 simple math, without emotion: there are possibly 3500, or slightly more 350Rs produced over a 6 year run. Of those, only 280, or so (the last HEPR built doesn’t really count) were built as HEPRs. That’s less than 10% of the total R production run, and they have all of the major upgrades, the black Recaros, and it’s the final production year. Auto enthusiasts jump on factors such as these
 why, cause they sh1t currency for breakfast and have the ability to pay a premium which sets the market. When insurance companies adjust to cover the market’s desires it’s a sign that the car of concern is legitimately worth the value placed upon it by the market. What’s rocket science about that? If you trade the commodity market, you get it
 otherwise you don’t. The market makes eats people with emotion up and spits them out. Don’t believe me?.. day trade for a living. Do it without experience. Your a$$ will be caught up in FOMO and losing your bank before you know it.

The HEPR premium is not an emotional market, it’s an established market.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
The HEPR premium is not an emotional market, it’s an established market.
Markets aren't always efficient. Let's see if a half-dozen HEPR sales on one auction site (BaT) really indicate a persistent value premium.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Markets aren't always efficient. Let's see if a half-dozen HEPR sales on one auction site (BaT) really indicate a persistent value premium.
😂

I think you’re referring to consistency across different venues. That’s not efficiency.

Efficiency doesn’t matter when there is a small batch of commodity available to the public and it’s not being reproduced.

the more of these cars that sell for >$150k, the less there will be available to the public to buy at $150k so the pool gets even smaller, thus causing the prices to go even higher.
Sponsored